Re: Market gone wild! [Re: butch sanders] #12576113 01/13/18 01:44 AM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: butch sanders
Originally Posted By: Derek 🐝
I don't trust the stock market. I deal in tangibles. So I bought Scagnetti's food stamps and family jewels. I'm going to flip them on Craigslist for a nice profit.
you really should invest in
his horse racing pix
HAH! They dont call YOU the Lone Star Park Clocker for nothing

[Linked Image]

Re: Market gone wild! [Re: Scagnetti] #12576146 01/13/18 02:14 AM
butch sanders Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Scagnetti
Originally Posted By: Derek 🐝
I don't trust the stock market. I deal in tangibles. So I bought Scagnetti's food stamps and family jewels. I'm going to flip them on Craigslist for a nice profit.
you really should invest in
his horse racing pix
HAH! They dont call YOU the Lone Star Park Clocker for nothing

true that Brother

Re: Market gone wild! [Re: fishslime] #12576151 01/13/18 02:16 AM
butch sanders Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: fishslime
I've been in this situation before - the late 90's in particular. I paid for it in the early 2000's because I didn't get out of the market and have had to stay in the market for the past 18 years to get my money back. It's a long term thing. I still remember Alan Greenspan talking about "irrational exuberance" mainly with tech stocks at that time (I didn't believe him like a lot of others.), and of course that bubble burst. I think a different version is happening now because of the tax law which benefits big business and a general perception that the orange clapper will be good for business. Just watch corporate earnings. When corporations start to have earnings problems, look for a prolonged "correction". In between there will be some corrections but not prolonged. The other major issue to me is the start of some war which could be a real problem. Eventually, the national debt will be a major issue, but at the age of 72, I probably won't live long enough to witness the default of the country unless they get it under control. Right now our debt is at 102% of the GNP. That's uncharted territory for this country when there is not a major war to blame it on. Don't gamble on the stock market with money you need survive. That's my take.

solid
it happened to my Dad with enron
i am going to sell after Trump leaves

Re: Market gone wild! [Re: T Bird] #12576152 01/13/18 02:16 AM
butch sanders Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
unless Pence gets in

Re: Market gone wild! [Re: T Bird] #12576431 01/13/18 01:16 PM
donothin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
It is a false economy supported by deficit spending that our kids will pay for. It will likely be the same as it was after Reganomics and after Clinton. My investment portfolio has done very well since the second election of Obama and has continued this first year of Trump but I am under no illusion that the tax bill will result in long term growth.

Re: Market gone wild! [Re: butch sanders] #12576464 01/13/18 01:53 PM
D
Dognot Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
I've been in this situation before - the late 90's in particular. I paid for it in the early 2000's because I didn't get out of the market and have had to stay in the market for the past 18 years to get my money back. It's a long term thing. I still remember Alan Greenspan talking about "irrational exuberance" mainly with tech stocks at that time (I didn't believe him like a lot of others.), and of course that bubble burst. I think a different version is happening now because of the tax law which benefits big business and a general perception that the orange clapper will be good for business. Just watch corporate earnings. When corporations start to have earnings problems, look for a prolonged "correction". In between there will be some corrections but not prolonged. The other major issue to me is the start of some war which could be a real problem. Eventually, the national debt will be a major issue, but at the age of 72, I probably won't live long enough to witness the default of the country unless they get it under control. Right now our debt is at 102% of the GNP. That's uncharted territory for this country when there is not a major war to blame it on. Don't gamble on the stock market with money you need survive. That's my take.

solid

I worked with a guy that had worked with Enron, He said between him and his wife they lost 3.5 million$

Sometimes what didn't work out for you, did in fact, work out for you.

Haters going to hate and believers are going to believe.

Every man has two lives,The second one starts when he realizes that he has only one.

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”
Re: Market gone wild! [Re: Dognot] #12576478 01/13/18 02:05 PM
RATZ Offline
Activity Coordinator
Activity Coordinator
Originally Posted By: Dognot

solid

I worked with a guy that had worked with Enron, He said between him and his wife they lost 3.5 million$

that's worth killing someone

If God is your co-pilot then change seats

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Market gone wild! [Re: T Bird] #12576489 01/13/18 02:13 PM
J
JCG57 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
We are likely in the late stages of a wonderful bull market, which is typically when some of the best gains take place. But keep in mind that the stock market is a leading indicator of economic conditions (historically 6-9 months) and when the bear market happens the rate of decline in values is much faster than the rate of increase during a bull market. So if you wait for a recession to take place (which we will not even know has happened until several months after the fact), you have waited much too long to de-risk your portfolio.

Re: Market gone wild! [Re: T Bird] #12576491 01/13/18 02:15 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Enron was straight up fraud. Thats different than the market as a whole fluctuating, or even over-correcting.

[Linked Image]
Re: Market gone wild! [Re: SheldonS] #12576532 01/13/18 02:46 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: SheldonS
Originally Posted By: deerfeeder
One of these days what goes up, must come down. I'd move as much out as legally possible without generating a huge tax bill. Just sayin'.

You can usually move it within your 401K to something similar to a savings account with no tax liability. However, the most important thing is to have a balanced portfolio for your age of retirement.

Stable Market Fund

Re: Market gone wild! [Re: T Bird] #12576625 01/13/18 03:43 PM
F
fishslime Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Enron is a good example of how our politicians pathetically serve us. Phil Graham (Houston/Oil connected )sponsored the bill to prevent Enron-type fraud and got it through the Senate in the last days of Clinton's second term. After it was approved by the Senate, he and his cohorts "amended" it to allow large financial institutions (banks, hedge funds, retirement funds, etc.) to participate in oil commodity trading. Due to public sentiment, Clinton was pretty much forced to sign it, and most gave little attention to the "amendment". Then in the early 2000's someone allowed foreign stock exchanges to trade on the NYSE under the rules of their country with no oversight by the SEC. (I can't trace this to Bush necessarily, but I have my suspicions with his family's oil heritage.) Therefore, the large oil traders (banks, etc.) started to funnel their trades through foreign exchanges (primarily the International Commodity Exchange in London), were able to avoid scrutiny by the SEC, and basically manipulate oil prices as a result. The "speculator" was born - remember that term? Gas went up to $4.00/gal. in this country, folks couldn't afford their house any more, and the dominoes started to fall until it wound up in the septic tank by 2008. I'm sure most remember that as well.

As for me, I don't trust politicians any further than I can throw them. They may go up there with good intentions but soon fall in line with the rest and become puppets for their financial supporters instead of representatives for their voting public.

Being a catfish dude, I recognize a bottom feeder when I see one!

Re: Market gone wild! [Re: T Bird] #12576686 01/13/18 04:29 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
I bought 100 shares of GE yesterday. Losing $1900 won't break the bank, but it has potential in the long run to make a decent return.

Re: Market gone wild! [Re: Fishin' Nut] #12576741 01/13/18 05:13 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Fishin' Nut
I bought 100 shares of GE yesterday. Losing $1900 won't break the bank, but it has potential in the long run to make a decent return.

thumb

Re: Market gone wild! [Re: T Bird] #12576830 01/13/18 06:50 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I bought a little bit of PETS 6 months ago after loosing my arse on another stock (BEAT) - up 41%

I don't do too many stocks...let the pros do that imo.

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Market gone wild! [Re: JCG57] #12576968 01/13/18 08:39 PM
K
kcb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: JCG57
We are likely in the late stages of a wonderful bull market, which is typically when some of the best gains take place. But keep in mind that the stock market is a leading indicator of economic conditions (historically 6-9 months) and when the bear market happens the rate of decline in values is much faster than the rate of increase during a bull market. So if you wait for a recession to take place (which we will not even know has happened until several months after the fact), you have waited much too long to de-risk your portfolio.

This is some good insight right here. Market is up nearly 5% in a couple of weeks! Figure that out on an annual return basis and let it sink in. There will be bumps along the way but it's anyone's guess how high this thing will go. No reason to sell out right here but taking a little off the table would be prudent.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide