facebook
Forum Stats
109067 Members
60 Forums
823963 Topics
11968692 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#12575426 - 01/12/18 11:08 AM Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles?
SLABXPRESS Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Teague/Lewisville, Texas
I see a lot of posts this time of year about dropping brush and other forms of cover for crappie.
Let me add two main points I feel are important, and that seem to get lost in these discussions:

1) Your main goal is NOT just to create cover for the crappie. Your main goal should be to create structure that will draw and hold BAIT!
If you sink something that will draw bait, you will catch fish off of it...period.
Does sinking something that creates shade and cover for the larger predatory fish help? Absolutely! That's just not the only, or even the main, reason.
The best brush piles, in my experience, are ones that create shade but also have many areas for bait to hide as well.
One of the reason many people have early success with bamboo and willow is the fact that they both create a lot of moss and growth in a short amount of time and have many small limbs for bait to gather around. That starts the food chain quickly and before you know it the larger predatory fish like bass and crappie are on it to feed. Larger diameter hardwood limbs may take longer to draw in those baitfish, but they last longer and create more shade. Either way, it's the bait fish holding on the structure that keep the crappie coming back.
Think about it... The best fishermen, even commercial fishermen, will tell you that if you find the bait you'll find the fish.

2) Location, location, location...
Be thoughtful about placement of cover, regardless of what material it is. Study the maps of the waterbody you plan to drop it in, and be strategic. Crappie love drop offs and depth changes. They use channels as highways moving from shallow to deep and back. For whatever reason, they will often gravitate to that one lone tree or BP that is on a point or even a flat. Bottom line...if it's an area on the map that looks like it would hold fish, it probably will. There are tons of good articles and videos on the web, so do some research if you're unsure.

When I first started focusing solely on crappie about 10 years ago, I had no idea how significant man-made brush piles could be. Now, I have about 2000 of them marked on various lakes in NE Texas. With good electronics, a little knowledge, and good techniques, a fish that I once thought of as elusive is now the easiest to catch almost any time of year. You can even get that same production on lakes that you've never been to before. I attribute much of that to my awareness and appreciation of what man-made structure can really do. So go ahead, sink whatever you got! Just think it through a bit first. wink
Just my 2cents

#12575475 - 01/12/18 11:34 AM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: SLABXPRESS]
Fishbonz Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Desoto,Tx. Dallas county
HAMMER ON THE NAIL soldier

#12575566 - 01/12/18 12:26 PM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: SLABXPRESS]
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Dallas, Texas
nice

#12575618 - 01/12/18 01:05 PM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: Fishbonz]
SLABXPRESS Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Teague/Lewisville, Texas
Originally Posted By: Fishbonz

We've been saying it for several years now, but this is the year....late spring Horace...me and you need to go fishin! wink

#12575725 - 01/12/18 02:17 PM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: SLABXPRESS]
The Crappie Guy Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Highland Village and Fork
Good information Eric

#12575959 - 01/12/18 05:52 PM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: SLABXPRESS]
TFF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: SLABXPRESS

We've been saying it for several years now, but this is the year....late spring Horace...me and you need to go fishin! wink
If the GOOD LORD says the same let`s do it E !

#12575969 - 01/12/18 05:57 PM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: SLABXPRESS]
Gamblinman Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Yantis, TX
clap

#12576027 - 01/12/18 06:44 PM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: SLABXPRESS]
TFF Celebrity

If the GOOD LORD says the same let`s do it E!

#12576314 - 01/12/18 10:27 PM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: SLABXPRESS]
ACAMS Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Palestine
I thought you put brush out so you will have something to get hung up on!

I put it out because my buddy says ... "GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND COME HELP ME SINK BRUSH!!!!"

Free image uploader for TFF members: http://myfolderz.com/TFF/pics.php

#12576502 - 01/13/18 08:20 AM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: SLABXPRESS]
leanin post Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: TEXAS
I see a lot of posts this time of year about dropping brush and other forms of cover for crappie.
Let me add two main points I feel are important, and that seem to get lost in these discussions:

1) Your main goal is NOT just to create cover for the crappie. Your main goal should be to create structure that will draw and hold BAIT!
If you sink something that will draw bait, you will catch fish off of it...period.
Does sinking something that creates shade and cover for the larger predatory fish help? Absolutely! That's just not the only, or even the main, reason.
The best brush piles, in my experience, are ones that create shade but also have many areas for bait to hide as well.
One of the reason many people have early success with bamboo and willow is the fact that they both create a lot of moss and growth in a short amount of time and have many small limbs for bait to gather around. That starts the food chain quickly and before you know it the larger predatory fish like bass and crappie are on it to feed. Larger diameter hardwood limbs may take longer to draw in those baitfish, but they last longer and create more shade. Either way, it's the bait fish holding on the structure that keep the crappie coming back.
Think about it... The best fishermen, even commercial fishermen, will tell you that if you find the bait you'll find the fish.

2) Location, location, location...
Be thoughtful about placement of cover, regardless of what material it is. Study the maps of the waterbody you plan to drop it in, and be strategic. Crappie love drop offs and depth changes. They use channels as highways moving from shallow to deep and back. For whatever reason, they will often gravitate to that one lone tree or BP that is on a point or even a flat. Bottom line...if it's an area on the map that looks like it would hold fish, it probably will. There are tons of good articles and videos on the web, so do some research if you're unsure.

When I first started focusing solely on crappie about 10 years ago, I had no idea how significant man-made brush piles could be. Now, I have about 2000 of them marked on various lakes in NE Texas. With good electronics, a little knowledge, and good techniques, a fish that I once thought of as elusive is now the easiest to catch almost any time of year. You can even get that same production on lakes that you've never been to before. I attribute much of that to my awareness and appreciation of what man-made structure can really do. So go ahead, sink whatever you got! Just think it through a bit first. wink
Just my 2cents
GOOD post Eric, I have also wondered why some rock dams hold crappie and baitfish in shallower water and some dont, one day I read an article that addresses this issue. It states that the size and orientation of the particular rip rap used can be a big factor. if the spaces are large enough for baitfish to swim in and out of as they feed on algea growth near the water line, it is more likely baitfish will congregate and even spawn around these rocks. If the rocks are small and fit tightly forming a barrier, the baitfish tend to stay away from it. Sometimes we must remind ourselves, that it is all about the food chain in a lake, as we learned as youth.

Many living in this generation shall never see the grave, JESUS gave us revelations and the time is very near. Dont be a soul that stands before GOD on judgment day and be told "depart from me, I do not know you".
REPENT, RECIEVE, REJOICE!!!

#12576549 - 01/13/18 08:54 AM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: SLABXPRESS]
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: DFW
Thanks for the focus SLABXPRESS!
flehan

Oh yea, if you are not getting hung up, then you aren't fishing for crappie in the right spots!

#12576589 - 01/13/18 09:19 AM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: SLABXPRESS]
RWCAT Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Georgetown
Well Put!! thumb

#12577943 - 01/14/18 10:06 AM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: SLABXPRESS]
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: The Colony,Texas
Even though I've haven't messed around too much with sinking brush this is a very informative post.. Thank you SLABXPRESS!! thumb

Visit my Youtube channel if you'd like https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber

#12579496 - 01/15/18 10:36 AM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: SLABXPRESS]
zig-zag Offline
Outdoorsman

fishacams: those are some of the best looking jigs ive ever seen good job. wish I new were one could get some of the supplies you used to tie those jigs? cheer

#12579730 - 01/15/18 01:09 PM Re: Do you know "WHY" you are putting out brush piles? [Re: zig-zag]
ACAMS Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Palestine
Originally Posted By: zig-zag
fishacams: those are some of the best looking jigs ive ever seen good job. wish I new were one could get some of the supplies you used to tie those jigs? cheer

THANKS ...... I got my vice and some supplies from Skip on this site, and most of other stuff came from Crazy Angler.

Free image uploader for TFF members: http://myfolderz.com/TFF/pics.php

© 1998-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide