facebook
Forum Stats
106783 Members
61 Forums
867405 Topics
12326184 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#12574042 - 01/11/18 01:44 PM Fly Fishing shops?
Smurfs Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Fort Worth
Do you think there is enough Fly Fishing shops in the DFW, or N. Texas area. Seems like the sport is really, really growing in the area. Most of the shops that I am aware of are not strictly what I would consider Fly Fishing shops, more like limited departments with in a larger retail establishment. Tailwaters in Dallas would be an exception to this rule. Just a thought!

#12574098 - 01/11/18 02:16 PM Re: Fly Fishing shops? [Re: Smurfs]
coolpix9 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: 2nd Largest State
Unfortunately the large mega stores like Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops, even to WalMart have put the squeeze on the small brick and mortar fly fishing stores. It's extremely hard to compete with the big box prices. No doubt we lose a valuable resource everytime one of these smaller stores goes belly up. The knowledge behind the counter is what we cherish but we are shopping with our wallets instead of our brains. When I get a guy from the Jerky section to help in the fly fishing section, I know his knowledge probably isn't based upon experience rather than a sales meeting. Don't even get me started about the infiltration of cheap goods from the other side of the ocean. Cheers,JP

#12574125 - 01/11/18 02:29 PM Re: Fly Fishing shops? [Re: coolpix9]
Smurfs Offline
Extreme Angler

Originally Posted By: coolpix9
Unfortunately the large mega stores like Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops, even to WalMart have put the squeeze on the small brick and mortar fly fishing stores. It's extremely hard to compete with the big box prices. No doubt we lose a valuable resource everytime one of these smaller stores goes belly up. The knowledge behind the counter is what we cherish but we are shopping with our wallets instead of our brains. When I get a guy from the Jerky section to help in the fly fishing section, I know his knowledge probably isn't based upon experience rather than a sales meeting. Don't even get me started about the infiltration of cheap goods from the other side of the ocean. Cheers,JP

Agree totally, great thoughts coolpix. Thanks for the input.

#12574970 - 01/12/18 05:37 AM Re: Fly Fishing shops? [Re: Smurfs]
FWBanger Offline
Pro Angler

Brick and mortar stores are disappearing for almost all retailers. I prefer to see/hold something before I buy it but even I have become an online shopper for flies because I couldn't find what I was looking for around here. I also ordered my last Sage rod/reel combo online from Cabelas because it was on sale. As mentioned above, being able to speak with a salesperson that knows what they're talking about is a bonus however some of the online retailers now have live assistance. It isn't the same as speaking to someone in person but it's better than shopping blind. Anyone opening a store should be prepared for folks coming in and looking at products and picking their brains and then going home and ordering the item online for less money...it's the new retail paradigm.
With all that said, I would love a dedicated fly fishing shop in the Weatherford area. I would spend more for stuff if it was helping a small/local business with a helpful salesperson. I have stopped going to small/local businesses because the salesperson was a jerk.

#12575313 - 01/12/18 10:06 AM Re: Fly Fishing shops? [Re: FWBanger]
Smurfs Offline
Extreme Angler

Originally Posted By: FWBanger
Brick and mortar stores are disappearing for almost all retailers. I prefer to see/hold something before I buy it but even I have become an online shopper for flies because I couldn't find what I was looking for around here. I also ordered my last Sage rod/reel combo online from Cabelas because it was on sale. As mentioned above, being able to speak with a salesperson that knows what they're talking about is a bonus however some of the online retailers now have live assistance. It isn't the same as speaking to someone in person but it's better than shopping blind. Anyone opening a store should be prepared for folks coming in and looking at products and picking their brains and then going home and ordering the item online for less money...it's the new retail paradigm.
With all that said, I would love a dedicated fly fishing shop in the Weatherford area. I would spend more for stuff if it was helping a small/local business with a helpful salesperson. I have stopped going to small/local businesses because the salesperson was a jerk.

Great Input FWBanger, Thank you

#12583855 - 01/17/18 10:14 PM Re: Fly Fishing shops? [Re: coolpix9]
Mitt78 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: South Irving
Originally Posted By: coolpix9

I don't totally agree with that. Bass Pro does hire good knowledgeable people and just because they work the "Jerky section" doesn't mean they aren't knowledgeable. When it comes to fly fishing one of the most knowledgeable people at the Bass Pro in Grapevine works in the camping section. All of the staff in the fly fishing section at the one in Grapevine have been helpful to me and been able to carry on a conversation about it. My experiences at several Orvis stores all in different states have been the more misses that hits. The only help I have been able to find at an Orvis store was the one in New Your City and the one in Austin that Kevin Hutchison used to work at.

That being said I always head over to Tailwaters first and if I can't find something there I head to Bass Pro and I never buy online.

© 1998-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide