Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR #12572050 01/10/18 02:34 PM
Dennis Christian Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Larry invited me to join them for a dead-sticking trip to Tawakoni yesterday. It was supposed to get up to 60 degrees, but it stayed cloudy and cold the whole day. After a slow start we finally got into fish east of the Wolf Creek Humps in 45 fow. Managed 17 overs - a mixture of hybrids and stripers - with biggest going about 24 inches. Also caught about a dozen shorts and 2 nice cats. Larry was the man and caught about twice what the rest of us caught. Since you sit there and do nothing except wait for the bite, it was clearly his rig that was the difference. smirk

I managed 5 fish four of which were keepers. We caught no white bass and have no particular explanation for that. We had one of SeaPro Todd's thumpers going augmented by Ed's manual knocking with a knocking stick. Fish were up from the bottom 2 1/2 turns of the reel in 45 fow. We had to wait a lot between bites even when we could see fish down there - leading me to believe we never found the perfect rig. We tried white, pink, yellow and silver. Larry's rig was a 3 oz (I think) dark silver jig head with a 3 inch clear/white fluke with a yellow tail. He was positioned on the trailing side of the boat as we drifted. I was on the lead side of the boat - not that that made any difference - just a fact.

My impression of deadsticking: The company is great, but the method reminds me of fishing with live bait - you just put it in the water, keep the rod still and wait. The trick to catching is 1st locating an area holding fish, use drift socks to manage the drift speed, experiment to find the right bait, position it just above the fish and patiently wait for the bite. If I had caught more - like Larry - I think I would have liked it better, but fishing all day and catching 5 fish is kind of why I don't fish for LMBs but go for whites where I can usually catch a lot of fish. But don't misunderstand - I enjoyed the trip, especially hearing someone say "Fish on" and watching the excitement of pulling in a big fish. I DO want to try it again - with folks who know how to do it like Ed and Larry. But, when I go out in my boat, Im probably gonna stick with structure fishing, which has been producing even in the cold waters.

Here are some pics from the trip:

Larry with nice striper

JR with nice striper

Ed, Larry and JR with the 19 big uns we kept

Yours truly with a keeper

Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Dennis Christian] #12572077 01/10/18 02:52 PM
G
GoFishNow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Glad you had a good trip. Like fishing live bait, deadsticking is not for everyone, but I sure do like it!

Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Dennis Christian] #12572097 01/10/18 03:13 PM
CHAMPION FISH Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Looks like a great trip. I love deadsticking, the challenge of hooking the fish and feeling the thump is what I like.

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Dennis Christian] #12572140 01/10/18 03:46 PM
L
lenahorse Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
Great trip Tuesday, sure never warmed up it just got cooler, great Tawakoni DS trip. Just waiting to repeat it sooner the better.

I used a 2oz white jig head with a white ice fluke zero on that, pink fluke zero also, then went to a clear chartruse 5" and got a few stripers, my other rod the catching rod had a 1-1/2 oz silver jighead with a 5" glow with a yellow tail fluke, this was the best used.

Jigheads from MTPOCKETS tackle.

Last edited by lenahorse; 01/10/18 04:50 PM. Reason: dog barked
Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Dennis Christian] #12572158 01/10/18 04:02 PM
S
SteveStrasemeier Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Nice box of fish and a great group of fishermen to share a day with.
Dead sticking is a challenge and it can try your patience Dennis but keep trying and it will get better. This time of year it is one of the best ways to catch them on most lakes. Surprised you caught no whites. Did anyone try dead sticking small slab/fly combo?

Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Dennis Christian] #12572243 01/10/18 04:47 PM
Capt. Michael Littlejohn Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Hey Dennis...Twok isnt Fishing red hot like it normally does although some great Fishing has been had on certain days. Deadsticking normally is incredibly high paced...as fast or maybe even faster than ur use to throwing the mepps...having 4-5 bites per minute being pretty normal. (Mostly 3-4 hooksets before hooking up.).

After this next set of really cold weather its probably going to slow down even more. My fav water temp for Deadsticking is 48-52.

Im marking 44 On main lake right now.

Michael Littlejohn's Full-Time Lake Tawakoni Guide Service
www.tawakoniguideservice.com
Click HERE for Recent CATCH Photos!

Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Dennis Christian] #12572262 01/10/18 04:58 PM
C
Chris Richardson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Nice trip with a great group of guys.

Dennis I think that someone like you that pays such close attention to detail with your mepps technique would love deadsticking. You have to treat deasticking just like you do your Mepps retrieve is you want to be successful. Different size lure, with splitshot or without, speed of presentation, number of turns before pause, line weight, rod stiffness, pointing rod at lure, wind pulling line sideways, structure depth that holds more active fish, ect....

The beauty of deadsticking is that its not just holding the lure and waiting. Just like any other method, basic things will work on easy days, but will leave you frustrated if you can't adjust.

Fish Location Questions:

Water temp: Determines fish depth
Wind direction: wind blowing same direction for two days or more will stack fish on windblown side of lake. especially in the mouth of windblown creeks.
Water temp trend: is temp trending up ahead of front or trending down post front?
Boat positioning: stationary on the edge of structure or drifting? strategic drift locations that keep you in good water longer. most drifts get progressively better, angle boat to put lure under transducer

Technique questions:

slab? slab color? slab size? slab shape?
fluke? fluke size? fluke? head size?
Teaser?

Location of lure in water column relative to fish: above- stationary, middle- jigging, below- slow rise
Drift speed vs lure wight vs lure profile (resistance) line weight (resistance): line angle- less active fish less angle

Aggressive jigging
slow jigging
no jigging
quick fall-pause
slow fall-pause
slow fall-jig-pause
quick rise
quick rise-pause
slow rise-pause
slow rise-jig-pause
jig-jig-jig-pause
pause-quick side swing
slow drag-quick 90 degree turn

That's just scratching the surface of whats going through my head when I'm out there trying to figure it out. When it all comes together it's magical.
woot

Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Chris Richardson] #12572307 01/10/18 05:24 PM
E
etu Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: Chris Richardson
Nice trip with a great group of guys.

Dennis I think that someone like you that pays such close attention to detail with your mepps technique would love deadsticking. You have to treat deasticking just like you do your Mepps retrieve is you want to be successful. Different size lure, with splitshot or without, speed of presentation, number of turns before pause, line weight, rod stiffness, pointing rod at lure, wind pulling line sideways, structure depth that holds more active fish, ect....

The beauty of deadsticking is that its not just holding the lure and waiting. Just like any other method, basic things will work on easy days, but will leave you frustrated if you can't adjust.

Fish Location Questions:

Water temp: Determines fish depth
Wind direction: wind blowing same direction for two days or more will stack fish on windblown side of lake. especially in the mouth of windblown creeks.
Water temp trend: is temp trending up ahead of front or trending down post front?
Boat positioning: stationary on the edge of structure or drifting? strategic drift locations that keep you in good water longer. most drifts get progressively better, angle boat to put lure under transducer

Technique questions:

slab? slab color? slab size? slab shape?
fluke? fluke size? fluke? head size?
Teaser?

Location of lure in water column relative to fish: above- stationary, middle- jigging, below- slow rise
Drift speed vs lure wight vs lure profile (resistance) line weight (resistance): line angle- less active fish less angle

Aggressive jigging
slow jigging
no jigging
quick fall-pause
slow fall-pause
slow fall-jig-pause
quick rise
quick rise-pause
slow rise-pause
slow rise-jig-pause
jig-jig-jig-pause
pause-quick side swing
slow drag-quick 90 degree turn

That's just scratching the surface of whats going through my head when I'm out there trying to figure it out. When it all comes together it's magical.
woot

My head hurts from all that, thanks Chris roflmao

Ed
Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Dennis Christian] #12572450 01/10/18 06:47 PM
Dennis Christian Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Thanks Captain and Chris. In our trip Larry did the best and he just held the rod still. I was trying various motions like Chris said but with our rigs holding it still was best. Like I said I need more trips with experienced dead-stickers.

Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Dennis Christian] #12572882 01/10/18 11:47 PM
F
Filletmaker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Way to go guys the good company is the best part. cheers

Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Dennis Christian] #12572921 01/11/18 12:13 AM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Very honest and very good observation on your first DS report, DC. My first few DS trips I had the same thoughts as you. Just keep at it and it will get better. DS is easy but it's not easy. There are lots of details and factors come in play, like what Michael and Chris stated below, and you need practices. Very good info Michael and Chris and I agree! smile

And also I think Larry is just showing of and a little fun payback because because of all those trips you out schooled him LOL. frkazoid

Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Dennis Christian] #12572931 01/11/18 12:19 AM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Sounds like a job for SPT! Dennis, you taught me mepps and I can return the favor. I have a 4-day weekend but man the weather forecast is lousy. The Friday afternoon may be the only small window of fishable weather. I think after this artic front, the DS bite will slow down also.

Originally Posted By: Dennis Christian
Thanks Captain and Chris. In our trip Larry did the best and he just held the rod still. I was trying various motions like Chris said but with our rigs holding it still was best. Like I said I need more trips with experienced dead-stickers.

Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Dennis Christian] #12572943 01/11/18 12:26 AM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
And FYI regarding DS temperature. I know the the lakes in OK and AR, guys still catching good hybrids with temp in the low 40s. But I didn't have good success at the DFW lakes in temperatures that low. Fish did not respond to the thump.

Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: SeaPro-Todd] #12573155 01/11/18 02:47 AM
Capt. Michael Littlejohn Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SeaPro-Todd
And FYI regarding DS temperature. I know the the lakes in OK and AR, guys still catching good hybrids with temp in the low 40s. But I didn't have good success at the DFW lakes in temperatures that low. Fish did not respond to the thump.

I have found EVERY lake to Fish totally different. Literally. Some lakes fish great in super cold temps and others dont. Fish are still on structure on cedar creek with temps in the mid 40s. It was like that back in the mid 90s when I started guiding. Not Twok...Fish leave structure around 55.

Cooper thrives the hotter it gets...Twok struggles in extreme water temps.

Michael Littlejohn's Full-Time Lake Tawakoni Guide Service
www.tawakoniguideservice.com
Click HERE for Recent CATCH Photos!

Re: Tawakoni Trip 1/9/2018 with Larry, Ed and JR [Re: Dennis Christian] #12573272 01/11/18 04:36 AM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Very good info. Thanks for sharing, Michael.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide