texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,882
Posts13,954,774
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12570481 01/09/18 03:41 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
To those I may offend on the river this year!

Let me start out by saying Im a 70 year old man and my partner is closer to 90. Yep, Ive been fishing the river for a few years to say the least.
That said, I dont move as fast as I once did, or as fast as I would like, so excuse me if it takes me a little longer to launch and retrieve my boat, but I promise to have everything ready before I ever back down into the launch. I always try to pull my boat to one side so as to allow others to back in while Im parking the truck.
Also pardon me if I hug one side of the river where the water is deeper, as there are many changes in depth, and there are very shallow areas that extend all the way across the width of the river channel, all but for maybe three to four feet from the bank. Unfortunately there will be some boaters that will tie up on those deeper channels, and any boats that wish to venture up river or come back down from upstream, will have to rub your boat with little control since the water is usually moving, and thus not having total control being pushed by the faster moving water.
I will promise to try and not tie up directly across from you if there is a space open, because of last year when the kind lady asked me if I was intending to tie up to that stump which she couldnt even reach casting with all her might, and I will also try not to intentionally be on your spot as you come around the bend, and I hear you yell over the sound of your outboard to your partner, that sob is on our spot! so please forgive me again if Im that guy.
I will also meekly back away if you pull into the spot next to me with your pontoon boat with eight people, a boom box, and two dogs, and four people on the rear deck closest to my boat all casting in front of me tangling my lines and me having to wait between casts to get my line back in the water. I will also take along and wear my ear plugs this year, and I promise not to be offended by the loud upbeat music that gave me a headache.
I would also like to ask the kayakers and waders, and those with the bay boats that were all blocking the sharp bend in the river to be patient with me as I made my way back downstream back to the ramp. I hope you excuse me as my little 14 fiberglass jon boat is hard to control when in the moving water and it kind of has a mind of its own being pushed by the fast moving water. Again, its usually the deepest part of the channel, and I know that is why you are anchored there as well, but Ive got to get through so excuse my rudeness.
And then theres the ramp. I just ask that the kayakers who are lined up across both ramps, and talking and giving high fives, and taking pictures to be patient with me, and others, while there are vehicles at the top of the ramp waiting for the pictures and stories to be told so that they can back down and retrieve their boats. I know kayaks are light and can be easily moved to one side, or pulled up on the bank, as Im also a kayaker, and I have owned a few over the years so I know what it takes, so please dont be offended, but be patient with me as I wait for you to do your thing.
So all that said, Ill gladly give up my spot if you show me you are packing heat, and Im more than happy to move along if you curse me out because Im in your spot.
As someone mentioned its just one big party, and I promise I dont want to spoil it for anyone!

Last edited by Jimbo; 01/09/18 04:04 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12570641 01/09/18 05:00 PM
Alumacraft 14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Don't know ya personally Jimbo, but read allot of your post over the years and you seem seasoned, respected and taught me a few things. I get what you are saying 100% and it's true. From my perspective though, I grew up fishing the Guadalupe run and it was always packed with boaters. So I have never known a white bass run where dealing with 50+ boats wasn't the norm. I think the days of having light traffic during spawn runs are over, mainly due to the internet. That's why I have started to fish saltwater more, lot more water and way less boats, though I hear rap blaring across the bay at 5:30am some days....

Re: Nueces River? [Re: Alumacraft 14] #12570737 01/09/18 05:41 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Alumacraft 14
Don't know ya personally Jimbo, but read allot of your post over the years and you seem seasoned, respected and taught me a few things. I get what you are saying 100% and it's true. From my perspective though, I grew up fishing the Guadalupe run and it was always packed with boaters. So I have never known a white bass run where dealing with 50+ boats wasn't the norm. I think the days of having light traffic during spawn runs are over, mainly due to the internet. That's why I have started to fish saltwater more, lot more water and way less boats, though I hear rap blaring across the bay at 5:30am some days....

Yep, you are spot on, and I realize it will never be the same, as I said, the genie is already out of the bottle.
I'm just grateful for all the years and memorable trips I had, and the solitude and beauty of that river.
I also fished the Guadalupe and Medina over the years, and I always realized that even on those hill country rivers you had to deal with crowds, although they were never like they are now, and it's just the fact that there are more people than in years past, and that isn't going to change, but just increase.
You might find weekdays to be a little less crowded, but even weekdays can be a challenge.
50+ boats on a narrow winding river can be dangerous and people need to be on the lookout on those bends as close calls are getting more and more common, especially when there are some who speed to get to up river. Mix in some alcohol, and it can be deadly, and kayakers need to be especially careful.
I'm fortunate that I can fish during the week, and I've noticed one thing about white bass fishermen, and that is they like to sleep in, and get breakfast and most don't show up until around 10:00 a.m.
That is changing especially with all the guides that get out there and go up river to beat folks to the bend, well before daylight.
People just need to stop and think, and as it's been said, try to be more respectful of others.
If anyone thinks they own the river they are in for a shock, and finding a spot that you can fish without anyone around is going to be a bonus, and not the norm.
Stay safe, and good luck!

Just one more cast!

Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12571286 01/09/18 10:56 PM
R
Riotex Offline
Angler
Angler
R
I started fishing the Nueces back in 1979. Ive been blessed to fish it every year-since then- except for last year due to taking care of my elderly mom and getting her situated in a care facility. I kept up with the posts and was smiling at the success this river can provide during the good years as last season was providing. I was saddened to see the posts and hear from close friends about how crazy it got with all the already mentioned "bad experiences". As Jimbo reported -the internet let the "Jeanie out of the bottle" on what this river can provide during the White Bass Run. In previous years- we would share our reports (in detail) and enjoyed watching fisherman come down and have a great time. I especially enjoyed watching the young kids catch fish. Some fisherman would show up with the wrong lures not catching many fish. I would paddle over and give them some of my double jig sets then watch them hammer the whites. It was good times. I turned 55 yesterday - and carefully read Jimbos previous post because I realize I will be his age not to far down the road and wonder where the river will be by then ?? eeks Anyhow -now that my mom is in good care - I will be back on the river soon like Jimbo and some other old timers that enjoy the beauty of this river ! grin AND- I will keep only a few fish that i can put in the grease and provide fishing reports like I've provided in the past. Hope all have a good- safe and ENJOYABLE White Bass season ! smile RIO

My stringer is getting there!!
Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12571509 01/10/18 01:30 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Happy birthday Rio!... happybday

Glad to see you'll be able to get the old stump jumper out on the river this year.
I'm still trying to fill a tag so it will be at least two or three weeks before I can get a chance to catch some whites.
Had the flu bug during the holidays so it set me back a couple of weeks.
Hope to see you out there!
Jimbo

Just one more cast!

Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12575131 01/12/18 02:22 PM
R
Riotex Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Sorry about the Flu Jimbo. Seeing a lot of it this season. Well I went to the ranch and picked up "Stump Jumper". As usual- time for new trailer tires and to work on boat lights. I did manage to get another doe for some meat ! grin Now its time to put the hunting gear away and get ready for the river. I have a good bud thats heading down there today to check it out around the 59 Bridge. Hes on the forum as well- Will give an update. smile Rio

My stringer is getting there!!
Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12575153 01/12/18 02:36 PM
L
limp line Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Went Wednesday afternoon from 3-6. Put in at 59. Got 27 from 11-13.5". Only 2 under 12". Hit pretty solid and fought good on our ultra lights. Threw them all back so everyone one else can keep them next time.

Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12575170 01/12/18 02:44 PM
L
limp line Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
On another note, regarding some other posts ive seen, i may not be quite as old as yall but ive been going to that river for whites since I was in diapers. There has been a noticeable increase in traffic these last few years. I went about 10 times last year and didn't run into any issues on the water with people. For the most part people slowed when passing and waved. The ramp would get congested at times though. Please don't leave your boat/kayak in the ramp spot when you go up to get your truck. My biggest issue is the trash in the parking and ramp area and fish carcasses in the water at the ramp. They stink and look bad. Please take your trash with you.

Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12575311 01/12/18 04:06 PM
F
Fshnutz Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
Well, I'm glad I read this string of posts. I was planning on heading down to try the run for the first time this year, but after reading all this, you can count me out! There is nothing I hate more than combat fishing. I'd rather peacefully fish all day and not catch a thing, than deal with a circus. I used to watch guys lined up shoulder to shoulder, salmon fishing in a river. I'd fish a few hundred yards downstream. They would catch twice as many fish, but I'd leave with my sanity. So, I'll be one less boat to deal with on the Nueces smile

Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12576512 01/13/18 02:29 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
We went yesterday, it started slow, but we ended up catching 62, and threw back 8 of those. River wasnt very crowded and everyone we came across was friendly. I would not go down on a weekend.

Parttime (John)
Follow me on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/c/AJOutdoors1
Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12576578 01/13/18 03:11 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
EVERY white bass run on EVERY river in Texas is like this, (DFW area is 10 times worse) I have no idea why.......
Never in my life have I seen such levels of rudeness, over-limit cheaters, illegal gill-netters,
careless trashy people trashing up the place, etc. over a bunch of dang sand bass!!
I no longer fish the run, anywhere, because of these things. Sand bass just don't taste that good
to tolerate that chit anymore. the "people" that act that way during the run are the same jackwads
that act that way during the trout plants
4 years ago, I was working a previously-unknown creek feeding lake Lewisville, in DFW.
It was loaded with spawners, & limits took all of an hour to fill, usually. Then 1 fool posted about it here & facebook.
Literally the NEXT DAY, I head down & see people dragging nets. called the warden, they got popped.
The following day I found myself packing my CC pistol in my tackle bag. I stopped right there.
If I have to bring a firearm to feel safe while I'm "enjoying the outdoors", I'm doing it wrong.
put it all up, eventually selling all my SB gear, & never went back.

[Linked Image]
Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12579924 01/15/18 09:31 PM
C
catcrew68 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
My hat is off to you Jimbo!

Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12583463 01/18/18 12:21 AM
doctorxring Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

My sister and I fished the Nueces on Monday 1/15. Water temperature 53F.
We put in at 59 bridge. About 15-20 boats on the river. We went south towards
the lake to the next bridge about 5 miles down and started trolling back upstream.
Found fish about a mile upstream and started working area by casting. Lure
of the day was Mepps with silver blade #3 and #4. Caught 12 by 1PM and left.
All fishing was SLOW. When boats would pass we would exchange totals
and most were between 5 to 10.

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free
Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12584261 01/18/18 03:50 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I fished the Nueces on 01-12-18. We put in at the 59 and also headed south....we caught 13 total. Most other boats were about the same.

Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12585680 01/19/18 03:50 PM
T
tonyguitarguy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Looks like the effects of overfishing the last few years. This time last year it was kicking.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide