Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12554297 12/28/17 04:46 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I went to the Airport on Tuesday.....fished about 3 hours and caught one male. Met some kayakers who also caught one, and another group that caught five. Finally some guys who went towards the 59 and caught 13. Nice to be out fishing but it was slow.

Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12555521 12/29/17 02:02 PM
F
Fshnutz Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
Originally Posted By: parttime
Originally Posted By: Fshnutz
Howdy,
I'd love to get some info on this Nueces River run. Not looking for anyone's secrets, just some basic info, like where to launch, etc. I live on Canyon Lake, and am ready to tow the boat somewhere else! Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!
Lindsay

Head south on I-37, exit onto 59 towards George West. 59 will cross over the river, there is a boat ramp under the bridge, travel down river a few miles and start trolling.
Oh and a friend is doing good and whites and stripers there on Canyon lake, they're there, just a tough lake to learn.

Thank you! That's what I needed. Yes, I've been doing OK on Canyon. Some days I find the schools and hammer em' pretty good. I just want a change in scenery. Thanks again for the info!

Re: Nueces River? [Re: rob valle] #12556352 12/30/17 02:00 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: rob valle
I went to the Airport on Tuesday.....fished about 3 hours and caught one male. Met some kayakers who also caught one, and another group that caught five. Finally some guys who went towards the 59 and caught 13. Nice to be out fishing but it was slow.

What and where is this "Airport" y'all keep talking about?

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Nueces River? [Re: Rayzor] #12557110 12/30/17 09:59 PM
W
wgpj Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
It's a boat ramp just north of George West on 281. It's at the end of airport road where it meets the Nueces. Many people launch there heading upriver to the rapids where they find the fish.

Re: Nueces River? [Re: Rayzor] #12558725 01/01/18 12:43 AM
Alumacraft 14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Google Earth the river, follow it till you see a boat ramp up river. The road leading to it is called airport rd, hence airport boat ramp. It's a crappy luanch, can be shallow at times, if you have a shallow jon, boat, kayak then you can get in. Running up river can get really dicey if your in a deep running rig like that Triton.

Hey maybe this year the folks launching can have their rigs ready to luanch before occupying a boat luanch lane, those loading can finish loading (tieing down ur kayak) off the luanch, the end of the boat luanch isn't where you park your rig either and turn off your lights as well. This stuff ain't hard folks.

Last edited by Alumacraft 14; 01/01/18 12:48 AM.
Re: Nueces River? [Re: Alumacraft 14] #12561809 01/03/18 01:19 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: Alumacraft 14
Google Earth the river, follow it till you see a boat ramp up river. The road leading to it is called airport rd, hence airport boat ramp. It's a crappy luanch, can be shallow at times, if you have a shallow jon, boat, kayak then you can get in. Running up river can get really dicey if your in a deep running rig like that Triton.

Hey maybe this year the folks launching can have their rigs ready to luanch before occupying a boat luanch lane, those loading can finish loading (tieing down ur kayak) off the luanch, the end of the boat luanch isn't where you park your rig either and turn off your lights as well. This stuff ain't hard folks.

Thank you wgpj and Alumacraft 14.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12562919 01/03/18 08:22 PM
K
kdub#1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I was down in Matthis last week deer hunting. I shot my deer early in the hunt and we took a day to go explore the Nueces. We put in at 59 and went all the way N past airport to the big bend everybody seemed to be fishing. Watch out for sandbars as you get upriver, it's sketchy in a few places if you don't know where you are going. Found some moving water abut couldn't buy a bite and the people fishing the sandbar in the big bend didn't seem to be catching either. At the ramp at 59 a guy told me he went south and by trolling filled up the cooler. I won't be back to fish the run on the Neueces this year as it's a 6 hour drive for me, but tight lines to all who are. I'm glad I got to see the river.

Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12566978 01/07/18 03:40 AM
T
tonyguitarguy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Nothing up river yet? I want to say they were killing it this time last year.

Re: Nueces River? [Re: tonyguitarguy] #12568459 01/08/18 12:05 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: tonyguitarguy
Nothing up river yet? I want to say they were killing it this time last year.

It's going to be interesting to see what this year is going to compare to last year.
Last year was the worst year as far as crowds go, and limits upon limits taken out daily.
It was a circus, and I've not seen it like that in my 50 years of fishing that river.
I remember years back when the Game Warden caught some guys using chicken wire stretched across the rapids to net the fish and fill up three ice chests.....That would be nothing compared to what was caught out of there in one day by all the guides and others....All legal I might add!
I hope that it didn't hurt the population, and we end up catching nothing but undersized juvenile fish.
I guess we shall see!

Get ready guys!....The fishing hasn't picked up yet, and already almost 2,700 views. pollo ...Walking boat to boat without getting your feet wet! LOL!

Last edited by Jimbo; 01/08/18 12:22 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: Nueces River? [Re: Jimbo] #12568772 01/08/18 04:29 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I agree the crowds were horrible last year. Manners and common courtesy were in short supply. How many fish do u reckon were taken home? 20,000? 30,000?

Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12569144 01/08/18 08:11 PM
U
usmcgruntd.co Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
U
First off I just want to apologize for ever posting a pic of my catch on here 3 years ago if I would have know it was going to lead to all this caos would've never have. As a local to the nueces river last year was the first time ever not fishing the white bass run and it was sad all the horror stories I heard of how people treated each other on the river trashing people's property along the bank showing no respect and trashing the river, pulling guns out on other people cause it's their spot, fighting over the boat ramps no respect towards kayakers so on and so forth. From what I have been told from a buddy of mine that's a game warden they are cracking down this year on fisherman that are not even from this area that think they own the river sorry fellas nobody owns the river not even locals , it use to be fun this time of year but is it worth the risk with how crazy individuals can get I might give it one shot maybe just to get one limit and back to saltwater I don't feel like getting hit by a boat on a narrow river !! Remember fishing on the river would be fun if everyone respected each other one more thin PICK UP YOUR DAMN TRASH !!!!!SEMPER FI

Re: Nueces River? [Re: usmcgruntd.co] #12569322 01/08/18 10:16 PM
Alumacraft 14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I didn't really have many issues last year except at the boat ramps, boat ramp etiquette needs to be taught to a lot of folks. Other then that I was greeted and treated well by the majority of the fisherman. I did get a few stink eyes the closer I got to the rapids, but I'd drop my trolling motor, swing wide around their area, I learned by simply say how ya doing? or Sry I'll be out of your way soon. That was all they needed to wave and put their stink eye away.I pulled a few kayaks up river and helped a guy out having a hard time catching whites by giving him 2 of my lures to help him and his little girl. Had a dude help return a net that drifted down river without me knowing.

A lot of folks think that white bass care if boats are running their outboards, well they don't. I've landed white bass after white bass with boats trolling by as I stayed in one spot and casted. No one owns anything on that river as far as the water goes, there is only so much room. So the general fishing etiquette of maintaining a proper distance is impossible to keep. It's a freaking white bass run!! Being within talking distance of another boater isn't uncommon and has never stopped me from bagging my limit. I don't know, I look at it as a big party, where you can shoot this shi*, catch fish and basically have fun.

Decent common courtesy basically will go a hell of a long way out there, some folks are just as*holes and nothing you can do about it, but be friendly and move on. Anyways I won't be going upriver this year, selling my jon boat and no way I'd take bay boat. So you guys have fun w/o me.

Re: Nueces River? [Re: Alumacraft 14] #12569967 01/09/18 04:02 AM
T
tonyguitarguy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Anyways I won't be going upriver this year, selling my jon boat and no way I'd take bay boat. So you guys have fun w/o me.

how much? pics?

Re: Nueces River? [Re: parttime] #12570252 01/09/18 01:07 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I will give it a try maybe one or two times this year just like last year, and then I'll leave to everyone else to fight it out.....I won't be missed, that's for sure, but it's not the peaceful river I once knew, and the genie is out of the bottle.
There are a lot of decent folks, and many, many acts of kindness that I've personally witnessed, but it's that small percentage that are always going to show up and ruin what would be a beautiful day on the river. If you get a chance to fish there at the peak of the run, you will be introduced very quickly to that small percentage of folks who completely have no respect for others, and you'll just sit there shaking your head in disbelief......Fun times!

Last edited by Jimbo; 01/09/18 01:25 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: Nueces River? [Re: tonyguitarguy] #12570277 01/09/18 01:32 PM
Alumacraft 14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: tonyguitarguy
Anyways I won't be going upriver this year, selling my jon boat and no way I'd take bay boat. So you guys have fun w/o me.

how much? pics?

Listed here

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide