could be what they are

Re: Worm Farming? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12574742 01/12/18 02:39 AM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
I just ordered some and should get them to morrow . I am going to put them in a raised flower bed at the ranch. Will it be to cold to transplant them this weekend?

Last edited by BrandoA; 01/12/18 02:40 AM.
Re: Worm Farming? [Re: WhiskerFisher] #12574888 01/12/18 04:51 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: WhiskerFisher
I've had good luck the last 3 years with Canadians. I bought a few tubs that had good, meaty worms in them from a bit shop, took them home and cut them all in half. I found a large tub with a lid that fit, lined the container with newspaper and added organic composting soil with earthworm casings as dirt. Put worms inside,and keep lid partially open at all times. I keep the container in a spare refrigerator down in one of the crisper drawers. I've only ever lost one batch due to over-moisturization... so now the only moisture they get is used coffee grounds once every few weeks. You know they're unhappy if they start hanging out on top of the soil often. Every few months I re-dirt them and add fresh newspaper. I will add shredded newspaper on top at any time if I notice they have gone through what was in there. I now have worms that resemble snakes more than worms, lol. When I fish them, I have to cut them in half in order to use them because they are too long whole. My current batch is over a year old and still strong. laugh

When I take them fishing, I use a small-medium sized ice cooler loaded with a few icepacks and maybe a bag of ice if it's real hot outside. Never been an issue for me!

I might try something similar to this, I think I've got a spare minifridge from college somewhere. Just a note - only one half of the worm you cut will regenerate, which is the half with the thick band. The other half is just the tail, and it dies. A lot of people seem to think that it'll grow into two worms, but really all it does is make it harder for that one worm to stay alive. Thanks for the tips though!

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Worm Farming? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12575144 01/12/18 02:32 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
any of yall use worm-glo?

Re: Worm Farming? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12578940 01/15/18 03:03 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
We had an old 60s model refrigerator laying on its back. Put a bolt in where the latch was we could raise in the summer and lower in the winter with the temps. We used red wigglers and could have had a cash crop of worms for 20 years. The fridge offered insulation from the heat and cold. We did have the benefit of cows we would put five gallon buckets of fresh manure frequently and fed them corn meal as well. It was like catfish at a feeder with a timer when you sprinkle the corn meal on. As the manure got fully composted we would transfer five gallon buckets on the garden with worms to help with natural aeration of the soil. The manure composting caused warming. So we would add it to one side and work it to the other to add to the garden. This gave the worms a temp difference from one side to the other to move into. Hope this helps good luck.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Worm Farming? [Re: Robert Hunter] #12580558 01/16/18 04:16 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Robert Hunter
We had an old 60s model refrigerator laying on its back. Put a bolt in where the latch was we could raise in the summer and lower in the winter with the temps. We used red wigglers and could have had a cash crop of worms for 20 years. The fridge offered insulation from the heat and cold. We did have the benefit of cows we would put five gallon buckets of fresh manure frequently and fed them corn meal as well. It was like catfish at a feeder with a timer when you sprinkle the corn meal on. As the manure got fully composted we would transfer five gallon buckets on the garden with worms to help with natural aeration of the soil. The manure composting caused warming. So we would add it to one side and work it to the other to add to the garden. This gave the worms a temp difference from one side to the other to move into. Hope this helps good luck.

Thanks! That's actually a neat idea, to use an old fridge laying down.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Worm Farming? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12580603 01/16/18 06:54 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Yes it worked great! it was against the south side wall of our shop to protect from north wind. It did seem critical to add manure to the one side and work it to the other before it went to the garden. We had thermometers on both side amazing the warmth the composting process makes. It let the worms pick the perfect temperature that they wanted. Obviously the bolt would be more open in the summer and less in the winter,BUT ALWAYS open a little bit for airflow. Once you had 24 inches or so of manure/compost we suffered little if any freeze kills. Honestly its trickier keeping the door open enough to cool them in the summer. A shady spot wouldnt hurt. If you are really serious though and want some dirt for the garden that fridge works like a champ. Courious to see what you go with. Good luck

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide