Forums59
Topics1,038,938
Posts13,955,877
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12568157 01/08/18 01:54 AM
R
RHP Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Down in south Texas they have resacas, oxbow lakes, scattered thru Harlingen, San Benito and Brownsville that used to be socked full of bass, catfish and perch including Rio Grande perch. I fished from our family’s row boat, a heavy wooden hunk of ... that I had to row. I am reasonably sure I was one of a very few who regularly fished and caught fish. My best LMB was probably five pounds caught Arbogast popper. I also remember using a cast net to catch shad and minnows but mostly I used artificials. I also used a silver Johnson spoon pretty often but with all the sunken logs, branches and tires I more spoons than I ever have since.

I remember an old game warden coming by just to see if I ever caught anything. We got to be friendly and he gave me some tips on other resacas to fish. Those I had to bank fish which brought me in contact with other shoreliners and learned a few things about which artificials worked, where to buy them and how to avoid screaming like a girl every time I came across a water moccasin.

When I got my first Garcia Mitchell combo (circa 1964) the sky was the limit and since I was still just 14 I didn’t think about a fishing license. In the end I ended up fishing every fishable resaca in the Valley. Now, I’d carry a 9-mm every where and not because of snakes.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12568236 01/08/18 02:51 AM
T
txmasterpo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
The late 60's through the 80's were amazing to me.... this is an old post but it's applicable about how I feel, then and now.

Thinking about dad....and fishing.

I learned from my dad early on.....age 5-14 and he took me all over Texas/Arkansas/Oklahoma ........we fished some tournaments together, we fished with DFD friends, we fished with guides.....when I turned 14 dad bought a 15' Flat/wide aluminum boat with a Merc 40 and a console. We built treated plywood decks, carpeted them with gold and brown AstroTurf, put on a 36 lb. Minnkota trolling motor, and I even had a Lowrance flasher on the bow......Ranger power pedestal seats a fireman buddy of his gave me and she was done. Dad put my boat at the fish hawk marina on Lake Hawkins for me. I fished every day that it wasn't to cold or I had athletics. All the way through high school I fished.....when I got my regular drivers license dad let me pull her to Winnsboro or Holbrook......That old pull start Merc was finicky as hell! If I got to my spot I fished....no running up and down the lake.....I learned the art of the texas rig those years.....slow, methodical, thoroughly covering my spots.....Winter time I learned the jig and pig .......it was a gift my dad gave me.....he went with me when he could but he told me when I was a senior that fishing all those times alone taught me more than he could have thought possible, about fishing, and about life. I took that boat to college and she took me all over Rayburn, Toledo, Lake Nac, Pinkston.......I came home in the late 80's and fished all over Fork with her.....she looked like hell by then.....but I caught fish.....slow, methodical, thoroughly covering every spot.......

I gave her to a 15 year old boy that was the son of one of our fishing buddies (Bobby Russell) in 1990.....I had been a Policeman for 3 years at that time and was able to buy a fiberglass bass boat. I know that boy today...he tells me all the time that boat saved his life, kept him out of trouble.

It was never work......it was a gift......my dad gave me this gift.....this passion ......I can't imagine my life without it.

I'm trying to imagine my life without dad but I'm not able...... I guess it will get easier... just one more trip....

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12568336 01/08/18 04:09 AM
1bas Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Most everything with the exception of equipment was better from the mid 60s- mid 80s than today. People knew things like respect and courtesy. Today that is a rare quality.Today , If you went out in the middle of nowhere on Rayburn or T Bend, and just sat in 1 spot for 1 hr. At least 1 boat would idle up to you asking directions to somewhere, all the while marking waypoints on their gps, to return later and see what your fishing. That I have proven to friends on several occasions when just fun fishing. as good of innovation as it is, I wish it had never been put into the fishing world. I do believe that if we had the lines, hooks, rods, reels,and trolling motors back then that we have today, you would have to have a good day to catch a limit on any east Tx.lake.

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12568354 01/08/18 04:28 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: Neches
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I enjoy teaching more now than I do actually catching. It was def better for numbers back then. I love me some Dumb Ole Texas Basses.....

I caught my first "biggun" 7 lbs 7 oz in a tournament on Ray Hubbard on 1-25-75. I had my red Garcia Ambassaduer 5000-B on my 5.5' Lew's Speed Stick with 14# Stren fluorescent blue line. I was throwing the only jig I owned. It was a black bucktail 3/8 oz Stan Sloan Booza Bug jig with a fiber weedguard. I had a black 6" Mr. Twister grub on the back as a trailer. I had no idea how to fish a jig but it was winter time and the books I read said to fish a jig & eel in the winter. We didn't have any Uncle Josh pork rind so I stuck the Mr. Twister grub on there. noidea

We were fishing out of my buddy's 14' MonArk with a 35 Evinrude with no TM on front. We just idled around and either tied up or anchored. There was also no livewell on the boat. It was more of a ski boat than a bass rig but it floated and we thought we were hot stuff flying across the lake at a blistering 32 mph! bolt

I was a sophomore at Garland High and we had organized a high-school bass club for all the Garland schools. It was the Top Six from each school that day on Hubbard. It was me and my partner Dickson Ayers in his boat. Kirk Balsley & Joe Smith in their boat. Gary Hughes and Paul Redmond rounded out our six man team. North Garland was there with their formidable team as was South Garland. Lakeview Centennial was there with a few guys. They were the rich kids from the South Side. sarcastic

Coach Gary Reeves from Garland High (now the superintendant for GISD) did the shotgun start at safe light from the gas dock at Point Royal Marina off Hiway 66. We blasted off across Hubbard in search of the elusive largemouth bass.

I think Lakeview blanked but North Garland brought three or four keepers to the scales for about four pounds. Stories of the big one that broke their line circulated around at weigh in. lol

At the end of the day, Kirk Balsley had landed two nice 2.5-3 pound fish on a blue Fliptail worm off some old submerged RR tracks in deep water and put us in the lead. I think Paul Redmond landed one small keeper about a pound. Dickson and I show up with a 7 pound 7 ounce lunker that dropped everyone's jaws. It was the biggest bass any of us had ever seen in person! It was the only fish I landed that day but it didn't matter. thumb

Ray Sasser wrote an article in the sports section of the Dallas Morning News about my fish and our school winning the event. We walked away with trophies for Heavy Stringer and Big Bass. The athletic director for the Garland schools paid to have it mounted for me. I was kind of a big deal back then.

roflmao
brutha you got one hell of memory, Your poor wife!!

His wife has a better one than his, poor Ken. roflmao

My wife hasn't proven her memory was better than mine since tonight at dinner!!

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Douglas J] #12568397 01/08/18 06:04 AM
S
SoCal Tom Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Originally Posted By: machinist
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
A lot less people back then and whole lot less people from up north and out west in our state.
You don't like folks out West? However I think you are wrong. Back in the 60's the biggest bass club in Texas and the nation was the Permian bass club in Odessa. Actually for me it was much better and one of the reasons was that people were more courteous back then.

West as in California, Washington State, Oregon, and such places. You know all the "hipster liberal" places, not western Texas

Dilly Dilly cowboy

Well thanks Doug from sunny San Diego CA. grin The CA I grew up in in the 60's and 70's was a dead red Republican state that had Ronald Reagan and George Deukmejian for a Governor and both Senators and more Representatives were also of the conservative bent. Those San Francisco liberals didn't venture south of Santa Barbara. CA started turning about the time I came to TX in the late 90's. The fishing there in the 70's was pretty great. I had the silver Garcia 5500C baitcaster on a 5'5" Ugly Stick. We wandered through Mission Valley and fished the San Diego River and used mostly Red, Black or Motor Oil Manns Jelly Worms and caught bass everywhere. They were natives so they didn't grow to the size of the Florida's they had stocked in the lakes but they were plentiful and fought hard. We started out on the SD City lakes renting 12" aluminum boats and would tie off or anchor. Caught em good on the original Strike King spinnerbaits. Not sure if it was better back then, but it was a lot of fun. Luckily I'm still having fun trying to catch em. I've been told I've been here long enough to have "almost" all the weird out of me... roflmao

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Weavertree] #12568486 01/08/18 12:40 PM
S
slim1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Weavertree
Hey guys, I rarely post but this one really brought back some memories. I graduated high school in '74 and starting about then me and a buddy would drive down to Circle Drive Marina on upper Toledo absolutely as often as we could. We were armed with big spool Zebcos, 20# gold stren, a big bag of black lizards and a handful of white H&H's. For $5.00 we rented a johnboat and bolted on our little trolling motor. It was as easy as trolling to the lines of buck brush or down a bank. You simply wouldn't believe the #s of 3 to 6# bass 6 hours of fishing would produce. We had heard about this newfangled bait that people were catching lots of fish on called a black jig and eel. Of course we bought some but would throw them for about 2 minutes and go back to the lizard! Yes, it was definitely easier to put fish in the boat back then...the pressure on Toledo is incredible these days and the easy fish are less abundant. Still a fish factory though!

Back then I fished out of Circle Drive or the park north of there. I had a wooden Skeeter with a 9.8 HP Wizard. I had a Shakespeare hand trolling motor mounted on the front with a piece of hose and a broom stick on the handle so I could set back in the set to operate it. Had a lot of fun in that old boat and caught a ton of fish. Reels were a 5500C and a 2500C. Both bought from Gibson's. Rod were Speed Sticks. If you could go back in time you would see that you don't need all the fancy stuff to catch fish.

Last edited by slim1; 01/08/18 12:41 PM.

PATRIOT GUARD RIDER
Riding With Respect
Flag Captain
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12568527 01/08/18 01:43 PM
west tex angler Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
Mid 70's, a friend told me about a new lake on the Texas/La border. Until then, All I had ever fished was farm ponds. So we loaded up a 13' V bottom boat with a 5 hp Evinrude and headed to Toledo Bend. The worst part was driving there at night using a map to go through all of the little towns and farm roads in order to get to Fin and Feather Marina. Well, we finally made it around sun up on Saturday morning. I had heard the Bass were biting spinner baits so I bought my first Virgil Ward's black Tarantula spinner. That left me with $50.00 in my wallet. We got on the lake, I think it was a lake, or just flooded timber. We started fishing and the bass started schooling. After one hour the both of us had a limit and headed in when a guy at the dock told us we should be throwing a Red Fin. So I bought that one and a Hot Spot. Now, I'm down to about $43.00. We went back out fishing and something big hit my 8' spinning rod and 10 lb test line. After loosing about 50 yards of line, it was back to the marina again for more line. Now I'm at $40.00. and getting hungry again. So now its still Saturday morning, I'm full but down to $35.00. Saturday afternoon at least didn't cost us anything while we fished, until I lost the Hot Spot and the Red Fin. It was time to stop for the day. We planned to sleep in a tent, we had plenty of Beenie Weenies, Vienna Sausages and crackers, but no tent pegs. It started to rain around 8:00PM so we just threw the tent over the back of the truck bed, and got some sleep.
I'll cut to the chase, we got back to Mineral Wells Sunday night with $5.00 between us and an empty gas tank, but had a blast.
I started making plans to buy my first boat. It was a Top Tenner with a fifty HP Johnson. What a great boat. Still don't need anything bigger.
Quieter times, less fishermen on the lake,and feeding bass, can't get any better!

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12568531 01/08/18 01:44 PM
W
wild bill Offline
Angler
Angler
W
There is a bunch of old guys on here, and I am one of them. Grew up watching WOod county lakes being built Fished Quitman the day it opened out of our Texas Made ski type boat. Drove my dads 51 ford pickup from our house in Coke to Quitman after school bus had dropped me off at age of 11. Once David Saxon and I slipped over to a creek(coffee) near Yantis, caught some Catfish.
I fished with Dad at Johnny Morgans stock pond and caught some big bass ( Morgans pond is near Coffee creek on fork) We waded this pond, fished the reeds with H&H.
Then dad bought a flat bottom boat in 62 I think He built a paddle that I would stick my arm into and scull the boat. This boat went to school with me when it was not Football season. After school I would drop it in the water of Winnsboro from the road to Coke.
I caught some big fish at times from Winnsboro One caught one about 6# I weighted it at Taylors Little Horn. Mr Taylor was a local legend. He took a interest in me, as I was always Fishing from his place. He showed me how to use a Heddon Spook.
The 60's were awesome for me as I could fish all day maybe see one boat. I learned about drop offs from Buck Perrys book, Watched Jim Roberson drift over a drop off on lake Quitman all day AND have a great "stringer" of fish. Raplh Muller (?) was a local that walked the banks of Winnsboro to pick up arrowheads He was the one that told me about Points and how to fish a Lucky 13 to pick up a few bass.
Times were slower, fish were everywhere , People allowed me to fish their ponds since most knew I would catch and clean the fish , and give to them.
I got to fish many of the local ponds. Dad was a barber so he knew everyone. Lake Franklin was a local private only lake, but I got to fish it many times cause My granddad owned a lumber yard and supplied many home owners with lumber for their piers or boathouses.
Slower times and people would teach you. I came to spend a week with my granddad in TYler who had a cabin on Grove club lake. MY eyes got opened during that week. Some old guy was using A rubber worm on the dock next to granddads. I watched in amazement as he would thrown in to the brush piles. Took me couple of days to figure out how to ask him WHAT IS THAT ? Sure enough he showed me some of them worms I caught several bass from Granddads dock. One the way home Dad stopped at Joes tackle in Tyler and bought some of them worms.
Dad an I wore the fish out for a long time with them rubber worms Old whippy rods and Zebco 33 reels worm fishing Ha that was fun
Been chasing bass for well since I was about 10-11 now I am 71 and still chaseing them. and still in a Flat bottom boat. So proud to have grown up during the time that bass fishing was growing up.

wild bill

Fishing and Dogs, how much fun can one old guy have !!!
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12568554 01/08/18 02:05 PM
C
COWBOYSFAN008 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Zebco 33, Mister Twister, and Trilene!

"On the 8th day, God created the DALLAS COWBOYS"
Real men love Jesus, don't wear scarves, pop their gum, or use an umbrella....IMO

<*\\\><
PHIL 4:13
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12568604 01/08/18 02:43 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
love reading all the old stories, i wasnt born until 89 so the earliest fishing i can think of was in the mid 90s. Its neat to hear how it was back early on

John Miller
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12568632 01/08/18 02:58 PM
T Bird Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Still enjoy it just as much, but definitely more crowded on the water and quality of catch has decreased.

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: txmasterpo] #12568634 01/08/18 03:00 PM
Kay Dyson Offline OP
HOT Mess!!!
OP Offline
HOT Mess!!!
Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
The late 60's through the 80's were amazing to me.... this is an old post but it's applicable about how I feel, then and now.

Thinking about dad....and fishing.

I learned from my dad early on.....age 5-14 and he took me all over Texas/Arkansas/Oklahoma ........we fished some tournaments together, we fished with DFD friends, we fished with guides.....when I turned 14 dad bought a 15' Flat/wide aluminum boat with a Merc 40 and a console. We built treated plywood decks, carpeted them with gold and brown AstroTurf, put on a 36 lb. Minnkota trolling motor, and I even had a Lowrance flasher on the bow......Ranger power pedestal seats a fireman buddy of his gave me and she was done. Dad put my boat at the fish hawk marina on Lake Hawkins for me. I fished every day that it wasn't to cold or I had athletics. All the way through high school I fished.....when I got my regular drivers license dad let me pull her to Winnsboro or Holbrook......That old pull start Merc was finicky as hell! If I got to my spot I fished....no running up and down the lake.....I learned the art of the texas rig those years.....slow, methodical, thoroughly covering my spots.....Winter time I learned the jig and pig .......it was a gift my dad gave me.....he went with me when he could but he told me when I was a senior that fishing all those times alone taught me more than he could have thought possible, about fishing, and about life. I took that boat to college and she took me all over Rayburn, Toledo, Lake Nac, Pinkston.......I came home in the late 80's and fished all over Fork with her.....she looked like hell by then.....but I caught fish.....slow, methodical, thoroughly covering every spot.......

I gave her to a 15 year old boy that was the son of one of our fishing buddies (Bobby Russell) in 1990.....I had been a Policeman for 3 years at that time and was able to buy a fiberglass bass boat. I know that boy today...he tells me all the time that boat saved his life, kept him out of trouble.

It was never work......it was a gift......my dad gave me this gift.....this passion ......I can't imagine my life without it.

I'm trying to imagine my life without dad but I'm not able...... I guess it will get easier... just one more trip....

Prayers my friend, you have some great memories....

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12568754 01/08/18 04:15 PM
west tex angler Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
Skeeter, good read. I miss my Dad as well. Wish I could turn that clock back. Good memories remain, but they are just not the same as having him here.
Good luck

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12568760 01/08/18 04:18 PM
TBassYates Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I grew up fishing. Dad was working at the Grayson County Jr. College and moved us up between Sherman and Dennison for a summer during my junior high days and we fished Texoma on weekends. Then as I entered high school he got us a place on Whitney close to Uncle Gus Lodge. We spent a lot of time for a couple of years there fishing with my dad and jumping off of those cliffs swimming. I graduated in 71 and fished off and on for a lot of years but it took a back seat to playing fast pitch softball until 89. Luckily a buddy of mine who I played ball with moved to Winnsboro and me and some other buddies would run down there any weekend we weren't playing a tournament which was about 16 weekends a year. He had a lot of ponds all over he had access to and we I would take those H & H spinners and wear those bass out. I will never forget the first time I went across the bridge on 515 heading to his place and he told me all about the new lake that was there called Fork. Little did I know when I quit playing softball in 89 I would immediately start fishing every spare minute and ended up on Fork all of the 90's. My first tournament partner was Kenny who was Val Poe's son so we were either at a tournament or at Val's for the weekend for years and years. It was great fishing Fork in those days and all of the Texas lakes in tournaments. Back then you could sometimes go to some lakes and two things stick out in my mind. Seems like every lake had some sort of vegetation and flooded structure. Even lakes like Cedar Creek was full of mesquite bushes, coon tail moss, some hydrilla. I just grew up fishing vegetation and bushes and you had that everywhere especially the prime 90's at Fork. The other thing I remember was a lot of times I could go to a lake like Cedar Creek and fish around for hours and only see a couple of boats a lot of times. Even when Fork finally got so busy I could go to Winnsboro, Quitman, Bob Sandlin, Cypress Springs and summertime to Monticello and stay away from most crowded conditions. So even though I still love to bass fish as much today as back then I do miss the vegetation and flooded stuff in a lot of the lakes and there is definitely a ton more people fishing these days.

Last edited by TBassYates; 01/08/18 04:18 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12568777 01/08/18 04:31 PM
1bas Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I believe that most guys on here that started back in the late 60s early70s started with some form of Zebco (mostly 404 or 33) or Johnson ( century or Saber )reels, and as for myself especially saved up and bought some model Garcia . The Abu Garcias then were made in Sweeden, I don't know what they made the pawls out of back then but I never heard of anybody changing one. Also they all came with a leather case with a bottle of oil and a container of spare parts containing different size brakes, extra, shims, screws, etc.In the early 70s Fenwick wes considered the best production rod.But if you could afford one you were really big time to have somebody wrap you a custom rod. Believe me when I say there were guys that could put designs in those rods that you cannot picture in your mind without having seen them. As I recall Lews Speed Stick came along and were considered as good as Fenwick in the early mid 70s about a year or so before Graphite rods hit the market. As I recall the first graphites were well above $100.And not many could afford them, but it was not long til they started easing down the price til they found the middle ground around $70. I think. Within 2 years there were enough mfgs. of graphite rods the prices came down to about $50.All things considered with the sensitivity of lines and rods today, and how lite some bites are we probably had 10-15 bites for every1 that we felt when worm or jig fishing with glass rods in the early 70s.Another good memory that comes to mind is after every big storm you could walk the bank @ Rayburn or T Bend and pick up a handful of Hellbenders,Lucky13s, Pico Pops, Devils Horses and Red Fins. those types I didn't have to buy. Other memories later.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide