Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12569373 01/08/18 10:48 PM
B
Big Ned Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
If you do not wear full vest style you are at risk. I fish tournaments all over East Texas and did kind of a survey today. This is not something that is scientific but asked a lot of the well known tournament guys their thought. I was really surprised that the seasoned veterans I will not name did not think the inflatables were reliable. I fish several circuits in Texas and have worn inflatables till I did the research today. Like I said I am no engineer or scientist but it really surprised me how many seasoned tournament veterans have went back to the vest type. I have sent an email to all that are my team partners in 2018 and told them that inflatables will not be allowed in my boat if you want to fish with me. Granted I am not the best there is in Texas but have cashed checks in TTT and Bass Champs. I really looked at this because I was also wearing an inflatable one. NO more starting with TTT on Toledo this weekend it will be full vest and to my surprise all my partners through all 2018 agreed. We all have family and that is the most important. I pray for what's going on Okeechobee it is a tragedy for the family of the co and for the Pro that will have deal with this. I usually run the boat in team events and this would be any bodies worst nightmare.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: Ynot] #12569378 01/08/18 10:51 PM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Ynot
Type V inflatables are approved only when worn. If marked this way, they are required to be worn to be counted as a regulation PFD. Otherwise you have to have a full vest on board type 1,2,3.
Type V PFD is only a substitute if you wear it.

Not all inflatables are Type V. They are what the manufacturers Coast Guard Approved label states. I believe the Mustang HIT is Type III but I don't have it here to check the label.

Last edited by Fishspanker; 01/08/18 11:03 PM.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12569408 01/08/18 11:08 PM
B
Big Ned Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I am not getting scientific but if a vest type is already inflated and does not need water contact to make it buoyant than it should already be better than inflated type which is why I got on this site. Don't get me wrong I do fish all the time on East Texas lakes in tournaments with decent results and money won I am worried about the false truth that their Inflatable is going to work every time. Like I said on another thread talked to a lot of tournament fisherman from East Texas and they all have went to the vest style some have done experiments with inflatables some have not. I believe that these are the type that need to be worn from MY PERSONAL RESEARCH only in my opinion but care needs to be taken from Tournament Directors on whether or not to trailer.

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12569426 01/08/18 11:20 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
How about hydraulic steering systems? How does everyone feel about those and their failure rates?

I test my PFDs every year,have 3 of them, and they have all gone off properly. The cost sucks, but I like them because of the space saving in the storage boxes and because I can wear it all day and not know it is there. Sometimes going 70 mph down the lake is going be to present dangers, you can blame that on motor, steering, PFD, or ignorance, but the PFD is not the scariest thing ever put on the water. If you will wear it more then a standard vest, I highly suggest a good PFD and regular maintenance.

Last edited by Shallow Waters; 01/08/18 11:24 PM.
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12569433 01/08/18 11:25 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Full vest only, year around. The 100 mph variety with crotch straps. Close friend had a nose hook at 75 mph. Ejected both he and his passenger. Buddy had full vest and somewhat 'skipped' across the water while his rider wore an inflatable. The inflatable worked, after the guy went about 4 feet under on impact. Once he surfaced (big man) the inflatable would not keep his head upright and out of the water. Had he lost consciousness or not had other boaters there to help immediately, he would have drowned. I got rid of my inflatables after that day.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12569434 01/08/18 11:29 PM
G
GTinTX Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
Full Mustang vest for me. Gave up the inflatables about a year ago.
If fishing solo, I may put on the inflatable while fishing, then switch back to the full vest when running.

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12569447 01/08/18 11:37 PM
B
Big Ned Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Shallow Water I agree maintenance is a great thing. I am not saying vest types are for everyone. If I named the guys I talked to and put it on here some people most in East Texas would be shocked at how many have went to vest types. I am glad yours are performing and hope they continue to do so. I will not name them but some are fishing major tours now. I am not trying to offend anyone the objective is to open everyone's eyes about what could happen. I am 48 years old and have been running a boat since I was 12 I am not on here for popularity or to bullsh**. I really believe more lives can be saved if everyone wear life vest. I can honestly say that I need to follow my own words.

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12569448 01/08/18 11:39 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
There are different size inflatables too. I wear a 33 model because I am 215#. My son wears 24 model because he is 135#. I think a lot of people just try to buy the cheapest PFD because they are ridiculously expensive, but as with anything you have to get the one that is right for you.

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12569471 01/08/18 11:56 PM
B
Big Ned Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I agree 100% when people select a PFD they might want to think of it as life insurance, not a discount a Walmart. I do know one hell of a tournament fisherman that got thrown out of a boat in January several years ago that was running to weigh ion with a good sack. Waves were building and it through him and partner out, lucky another boat pulled up to help them. HE HAS NOT FISHED SINCE THEN. I will not name him but some on here probably know who I am talking about.

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12569497 01/09/18 12:14 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters
How about hydraulic steering systems? How does everyone feel about those and their failure rates?

I test my PFDs every year,have 3 of them, and they have all gone off properly. The cost sucks, but I like them because of the space saving in the storage boxes and because I can wear it all day and not know it is there. Sometimes going 70 mph down the lake is going be to present dangers, you can blame that on motor, steering, PFD, or ignorance, but the PFD is not the scariest thing ever put on the water. If you will wear it more then a standard vest, I highly suggest a good PFD and regular maintenance.

Many users don't replace the bobbin and CO2 cylinder as required by expiration date, and a lot probably never look at the trigger mechanism. It is likely to fail if it's corroded into a solid lump with an old cylinder attached!

You mentioned storage space considerations. That's not sounding good as a general practice. (I realize you test yours annually, so they get refitted annually.) Inflatable vests and East Texas humidity do not get along. Where you store an inflatable vest between uses is very important. They need to be in a climate-controlled environment to avoid accelerated degradation of the trigger mechanism from heat/humidity. In your boat or non-air-conditioned garage/barn/shop is not the best place for them. Where is? Inside your home, where the temperature is moderate and the humidity low. Where did I get this info? ...from conversation with a manufacturing engineer who works for one of the major inflatable suppliers.

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12569540 01/09/18 12:45 AM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Ned, i am not offended at all, sorry if I cam off that way. I just felt like this thread was pretty one sided should there be anyone on the fence and I personally believe that PFD's can be a good thing. If a PFD is the difference between someone always wearing a life vest and not, then it has served its purpose. I would be willing to bet there are a number of people who have felt the benefit of a PFD that would have otherwise not been wearing a vest at all. As a father who is starting to let his 17 year old take the boat without him, I prefer a PFD option knowing that my son can wear it all day without it interfering and causing him to take it off.

I think everybody should just choose the option that best fits them to make sure they wear something as much as possible. If inherently buoyant fits your situation best, and you will wear it, then that solution is great. But, if you buy an inherently buoyant vest with the intentions of wearing it just to run the big motor and you are constantly taking it off and forgetting to put back on, then that is bad for everyone. I personally keep an inherently buoyant vest in the boat and another in the truck should I need them (obviously for some other situation then being thrown from the boat and decideing I need it), but I wear my PFD all the time (sometimes even backing the trailer into the water at the end of the day).

As for storage, I agree that your storage situation should be considered as well. The PFD requirements fit my situation perfectly. And I actually test my vest every year in the water to test the auto inflate capabilities, not by pulling the cord.

Last edited by Shallow Waters; 01/09/18 12:46 AM.
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12569694 01/09/18 02:07 AM
K
Kens3313 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Me and my dad have the Onyx brand PFDs. They always go off stored inside the boat compartment. Thinking about just using the full size vest, because 30 bucks a pop to recharge it gets expensive. I guess I could lay them out every time I put the boat up but I always forget.

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12569721 01/09/18 02:22 AM
K
Kens3313 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
What is a decent brand full vest out there that's comfortable?

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12569860 01/09/18 03:21 AM
R
reinke Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Full Mustang vest.

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12570278 01/09/18 01:32 PM
C
Cass Caldwell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler