Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12566932 01/07/18 02:49 AM
G
GriddleGrizzly Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I have a mustang inflatable. Ease and comfort give me absolutely no excuse not to wear it. If i’m on pad, vest is on, killswitch attached.May have to entertain a full vest for rough or unfamiliar water.

Last edited by GriddleGrizzly; 01/07/18 02:50 AM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12566961 01/07/18 03:24 AM
M
MV Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
full vest

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12567066 01/07/18 04:35 AM
B
B.K.S. Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I have both and wear full vest running now all the time,I got to thinking what if I get thrown out hard and it does not go off.

B.K.S.

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12567097 01/07/18 05:05 AM
dlwfish Offline
Angler
Angler
Full vest when at idle or above

Inflatable while I’m fishing alone at all times... you never know..

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12567133 01/07/18 06:18 AM
T
Tc24 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Full vest with kill switch attached, so if I ever get thrown out, I'll not only float, but I won't have to worry about getting run over by my own boat.

1998 Pro Gator 160V
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: Ripinlip] #12567149 01/07/18 10:26 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Ripinlip
Use the Mustang but now you got me thinking..... Maybe that’s selfish and should start using a full vest when running big engine!

I happened to have the opportunity to discuss PFD choices with the top man in charge of boating enforcement & boating-related training for TPWD. When I asked about his preference/recommendation for a PFD choice (inflatable vs. inherently buoyant full vest), he fully recommended and chooses for himself the inherently buoyant option (Type II).

Keep in mind that there are Type I, II & III inherently buoyant vests where I is a bit beyond what fishermen would typically be willing to wear. Type II is the better choice of the other two.

I like the idea of using both in different circumstances: Buoyant Type II vest with attached kill switch lanyard anytime the outboard is used, and an inflatable when fishing in rough conditions or anytime I'm fishing alone in the boat. My physical strength is compromised now, so I want the inflatable to better insure I have a chance to get back in (via ladder) if I'm alone after a stumble into the lake.

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12567165 01/07/18 11:58 AM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
After following the missing angler at the Big O I am adding a ACR locator beacon. The accident reportedly happened at about 7:30 am. No way that anyone other than those involved could know until the boat failed to check back in.

In a typical year I fish a number of different places where your not getting any help if something goes bad. Just a couple of weeks ago I was in the Arroyo Colorado area of the LLM. We were way out there in about a foot of water maybe less. I was thinking I hope he knows what he is doing and can get us out of here.

We also go to Venice and go out to the Breton Islands in bayboats. We always take a minimum of two boats there. Your pretty much 7 miles out in the open gulf.

No matter how experienced and prepared you are things can go bad fast. Unsuspected weather, quick changes in weather, equipment malfunctions, hitting something, run out of fuel, motor breakdown, loss of gps, etc can all come into play.

The ACR beacon is about $250. It doesn't need a subscription service like some other like the Spot locator. It serves one purpose to be able to send out a signal in a life threatening situation. You can register it so they can call your contacts. You can also send a signal out several times so they know it's not been accidentally activated. Seems to me that's it's extremely cheap to have it as a piece of insurance.

I have been out a few times over the years where I thought, "that was pretty stupid, I am glad to be back". I never have been close enough but one time that I would have activated the beacon. That was over 30 years ago. We sunk a small boat in the middle of lake Conroe south of the 1097 bridge. Right at dark. It took me close to two hours to swim out. It was in Sept and the water temp was perfect. If it had been December who knows if I would be here today. The other two stayed with the boat until it sank. I decided to swim to shore earlier. I was never so glad to see to guys in my life when a boat picked them up after I called once I got to shore. It seems the flotation cavity had filled with water. As we were going forward we had the weight distributed too far forward. The boat had real low sides anyways. Water came in and it was upside down in a couple of seconds.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: Fishspanker] #12567180 01/07/18 12:43 PM
G
gut hooked Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
G
Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
After following the missing angler at the Big O I am adding a ACR locator beacon. The accident reportedly happened at about 7:30 am. No way that anyone other than those involved could know until the boat failed to check back in.

In a typical year I fish a number of different places where your not getting any help if something goes bad. Just a couple of weeks ago I was in the Arroyo Colorado area of the LLM. We were way out there in about a foot of water maybe less. I was thinking I hope he knows what he is doing and can get us out of here.

We also go to Venice and go out to the Breton Islands in bayboats. We always take a minimum of two boats there. Your pretty much 7 miles out in the open gulf.

No matter how experienced and prepared you are things can go bad fast. Unsuspected weather, quick changes in weather, equipment malfunctions, hitting something, run out of fuel, motor breakdown, loss of gps, etc can all come into play.

The ACR beacon is about $250. It doesn't need a subscription service like some other like the Spot locator. It serves one purpose to be able to send out a signal in a life threatening situation. You can register it so they can call your contacts. You can also send a signal out several times so they know it's not been accidentally activated. Seems to me that's it's extremely cheap to have it as a piece of insurance.

I have been out a few times over the years where I thought, "that was pretty stupid, I am glad to be back". I never have been close enough but one time that I would have activated the beacon. That was over 30 years ago. We sunk a small boat in the middle of lake Conroe south of the 1097 bridge. Right at dark. It took me close to two hours to swim out. It was in Sept and the water temp was perfect. If it had been December who knows if I would be here today. The other two stayed with the boat until it sank. I decided to swim to shore earlier. I was never so glad to see to guys in my life when a boat picked them up after I called once I got to shore. It seems the flotation cavity had filled with water. As we were going forward we had the weight distributed too far forward. The boat had real low sides anyways. Water came in and it was upside down in a couple of seconds.

Buddy you nailed it.....and i started this post before reading about the accident on the O.

I think i just bought my fathers day present.

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12567195 01/07/18 01:24 PM
Y
Ynot Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Excellent post and reminders!!! My wife has always[u][/u] been my advocate reminding me to wear my PFD and I agree. If you wear your PFD your looking out for the interest of others and yourself. It's a life saving jacket. [b][/b]

"Fair Winds and Following Seas"
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12567197 01/07/18 01:25 PM
S
SIR-FISH-LOT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I fish mostly alone a full vest for me. In the summer I will sometimes wear a inflatable to keep cool, I also have a Hobie kayak flip over once with a inflatable it worked perfectly. Now I have full vest deign for kayaks and wear it with my bass boat. Sometimes.

Jig fisherman
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12567200 01/07/18 01:28 PM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: gut hooked
Originally Posted By: Fishspanker

Buddy you nailed it.....and i started this post before reading about the accident on the O.

I think i just bought my fathers day present.

I think the ACR is better than something like the Spot locator. The advantage of the Spot is two way messaging. It also requires a service subscription. To me the Spot is more towards a toy where the ACR is a serious piece of equipment made with one purpose. That's to get a signal to the proper authorities if you have a life threatening situation.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12567231 01/07/18 02:13 PM
K
kellisag Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Full vest for me. The only time it really gets hot enough to bother me is long idles in the summer but if I'm not in a tournament I just pull it off in that situation anyways.

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12567349 01/07/18 03:35 PM
James Biggs Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Full vest for me as well

Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12567357 01/07/18 03:40 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I have two. An Onyx MIT and a Mustang type II vest. I don't wear either as often as I should. This Big O story has kinda made me think about it a little more. For sure.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Which type of PFD do you use? [Re: gut hooked] #12567363 01/07/18 03:45 PM
N
no catch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Full vest for me.

Skeeter FXR21
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index