Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Dang it! #12562623 01/03/18 04:53 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Got blood work back from the Doc.

Cholesterol 273. Not sure good vs. bad but she said the good was "normal". BP for the last 30 days averaged 140/90. BMI is 28.6 so at 6'4 235 I am "overweight". Sugars were "borderline high" and she took more blood to look into that deeper.

So I have my work cut out for me. Gonna get this under control this year or else in 20 years I am going to stroke out or have a heart attack. She suggested a Mediterranean type diet so I have looked into that and it will be a big change but its something I can do and stay with... I like fish and whole grains, and wine ha ha. (In Moderation of course!)

The worst part is no more instant noodles, no more pho, no more french fires, burgers are out lol.

Wish me luck yall!

Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12562644 01/03/18 05:03 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Ban all refined sugar is what the USA should be focused on. Bad stuff....killing millions.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12562646 01/03/18 05:03 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
You can do anything you set your mind too. Good luck in 2018!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Dang it! [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12562712 01/03/18 05:51 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Thanks bud!

I dont really eat "sugar". Very seldom have a Coke, no sweets in my home. Just not a fan. But Doc. informed me that noodles (ramen, pho, pasta etc.), bread, beer, (YES I KNOW!!! EVEN MY BEST FRIEND BEER!), breaks down into nothing but sugar. So even though I am not eating "sugar" my sugar levels can be high.

I am working on that already.

Cholesterol... yeah that's the red meat and the whole milk, and cheese! I love diary but its not really loving me back so have to cut way way back on that and red meat once a month max. I will save TONS on steaks!

Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12562713 01/03/18 05:52 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I'm working on smaller portions, but it's a challenge. Think it's just natural instinct to eat until your full, or graze anytime there's food set out. Thankfully we're out of the holidays for a while.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12562723 01/03/18 05:58 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Thanks bud!

I dont really eat "sugar". Very seldom have a Coke, no sweets in my home. Just not a fan. But Doc. informed me that noodles (ramen, pho, pasta etc.), bread, beer, (YES I KNOW!!! EVEN MY BEST FRIEND BEER!), breaks down into nothing but sugar. So even though I am not eating "sugar" my sugar levels can be high.

I am working on that already.

Cholesterol... yeah that's the red meat and the whole milk, and cheese! I love diary but its not really loving me back so have to cut way way back on that and red meat once a month max. I will save TONS on steaks!

Crazy how many things we think are okay have sugars in them.

Fruit....my dad is on Weight Watchers....fruit is zero points....eat till you pop type points. Well he almost made himself diabetic due to them bananas and apples. His doctor cut them out of his diet...scary. He doesn't eat cake, pasta, beer, ect.....those all cost points. It was strictly the fruit that would cause him many problems down the road. Real eye opener.

Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12562764 01/03/18 06:28 PM
I
Indianation65 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
I've worked out my entire life, and also had some very hard, physical labor jobs.

Cutting out my favorite (what's deemed as junk foods) foods is/was the hardest workout I've ever attempted.

Working out for 6 hours a day, 6 days a week, would be easier then giving up hamburgers/fries/O-rings!

Addendum: One of my best friends, and Kim, my roommate, but became vegetarians within the last 3-6 months. Neither lasted...
I've thought about it, but I will not do it or say I'm doing it until I know for sure I mean it. That day hasn't come yet, but it might.
Currently, I'm craving a good burger and ring!

Addendum: Giving up "sugar" foods/snacks/candy...I may as well try to swim from Galveston to Miami Beach.

...------

Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12563581 01/04/18 12:59 PM
lakeforkfisherman Offline
Elliptical Mechanic
Elliptical Mechanic
Dan, youre almost exactly where I was September 2016.

Do the DASH diet. Its easy and allows you to cheat without cheating.

I made HUGE improvements with it after just 60 days. Exercise, of course, is important.

Keep us posted. Good luck!

LET’S GO BRANDON!!!
Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12566367 01/06/18 04:10 PM
J
jippedgenes Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
My cholesterol was similar to yours. Started doing hard cardio 2X a week and within a year of eating clean my total cholesterol was under 150 and HDL was over 60.

I still ate red meat, cheese and other dairy including eggs every day.

Just cut out high GI carbs like, as you said, noodles, rice, bread..............and dammit your friend and mine beer.

Doc said depends on your genetics how easy it will be to reduce LDL. Cardio and low sugar worked for me. Good luck

Re: Dang it! [Re: Nocona Brian] #12566376 01/06/18 04:14 PM
J
joebass2 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian
I'm working on smaller portions, but it's a challenge. Think it's just natural instinct to eat until your full, or graze anytime there's food set out. Thankfully we're out of the holidays for a while.

Or, if you grew up in the 60's or 70's like I did, there's always that parental voice in the back of your head saying 'Clean that plate boy'.

Re: Dang it! [Re: joebass2] #12567189 01/07/18 01:04 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: joebass2
Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian

Or, if you grew up in the 60's or 70's like I did, there's always that parental voice in the back of your head saying 'Clean that plate boy'.

Put smaller portion on the plate to start with. Less bread, carbs, and sugar. Those 2 steps will go a long way.

Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12567280 01/07/18 02:49 PM
H2O Seeker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

Cholesterol 273. Not sure good vs. bad but she said the good was "normal". BP for the last 30 days averaged 140/90. BMI is 28.6 so at 6'4 235 I am "overweight". Sugars were "borderline high" and she took more blood to look into that deeper.

So I have my work cut out for me. Gonna get this under control this year or else in 20 years I am going to stroke out or have a heart attack. She suggested a Mediterranean type diet so I have looked into that and it will be a big change but its something I can do and stay with... I like fish and whole grains, and wine ha ha. (In Moderation of course!)

The worst part is no more instant noodles, no more pho, no more french fires, burgers are out lol.

Wish me luck yall!

Best of luck with the transition! I had an in depth convo with my doc about BMI. BMI is a farce utilized by the insurance companies that applies to the "majority" and the majority has never been truly defined and continues to change and evolve. My doc said yes however we are obligated to go by that as the baseline. Fortunately he has some common sense and knows it does not apply to everyone. If you were an athlete growing up, still train some, and maintain some level of muscle (lean muscle mass) it will throw the BMI charts off. A friend is 6'2" and 252. Measured body fat is 5% (which is very low for a 50 y.o.) and the BMI charts show him as overweight/obese. Point being make the changes based on cholesterol/sugars rather than scale weight. Sugar issues are genetic as are cholesterol. Good thing is both can be controlled by food/fuel/hydration and increased activity.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12567842 01/07/18 09:59 PM
T
Trickster Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
T
Get a bike. And a Girl friend that can kick your ace on it.

Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12567875 01/07/18 10:17 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
I'm doing pretty well on the Mediterranean deal so far. Been having fish and veggies for dinner, whey protein shake with soy milk or yogurt for breakfast ( I found a protein powder that's very low in cholesterol, you'd be surprised how much cholesterol most of them have). I discovered even though I thought I didn't like apples they're actually not bad been having an apple here and there as a snack.

Even went to Red Robin today and was able to resist the delicious burgers and fries and just got the salmon with endless steamed broccoli!!

Working on more physical activity as well. Not that I was particularly sedentary before but obviously it wasn't doing quite enough so I stepped up my game there.

I'll get this thing under control here. I appreciate everybody's suggestions and comments and sharing their own stories it's helpful.

Re: Dang it! [Re: H2O Seeker] #12568523 01/08/18 01:42 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: H2O Seeker

Wish me luck yall!

Best of luck with the transition! I had an in depth convo with my doc about BMI. BMI is a farce utilized by the insurance companies that applies to the "majority" and the majority has never been truly defined and continues to change and evolve. My doc said yes however we are obligated to go by that as the baseline. Fortunately he has some common sense and knows it does not apply to everyone. If you were an athlete growing up, still train some, and maintain some level of muscle (lean muscle mass) it will throw the BMI charts off. A friend is 6'2" and 252. Measured body fat is 5% (which is very low for a 50 y.o.) and the BMI charts show him as overweight/obese. Point being make the changes based on cholesterol/sugars rather than scale weight. Sugar issues are genetic as are cholesterol. Good thing is both can be controlled by food/fuel/hydration and increased activity.

Big bones? Big muscles?

True, but that is not the "normal" 50 year old build.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide