Re: Supporting local business [Re: Canino] #12562680 01/03/18 05:21 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: Canino
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Anything spent locally is better than sending your money to China, Mexico or even Amazon. Local sales tax goes a long way to help your community grow.

The "local sales tax" argument always cracks me up. I'm not paying extra just so I can pay extra.

And the amount of local sales tax is insignificant. If you save 5% buying online, you would be better off AND the local economy would be better off if you donated just 1/2 the savings to the local Economic Development entity (EDC). You would get a better price and the EDC would get more than if you bought locally and paid the tax.

From what I can google, Mansfield had a sales tax of 21.7 million last year. 4.5% increase from last year.

That's no chump change to a city. It would not exist without it.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Supporting local business [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12562691 01/03/18 05:33 PM
C
Canino Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Canino
Anything spent locally is better than sending your money to China, Mexico or even Amazon. Local sales tax goes a long way to help your community grow.

The "local sales tax" argument always cracks me up. I'm not paying extra just so I can pay extra.

And the amount of local sales tax is insignificant. If you save 5% buying online, you would be better off AND the local economy would be better off if you donated just 1/2 the savings to the local Economic Development entity (EDC). You would get a better price and the EDC would get more than if you bought locally and paid the tax.

From what I can google, Mansfield had a sales tax of 21.7 million last year. 4.5% increase from last year.

That's no chump change to a city. It would not exist without it.

I don't think you understood what I said.

Let's say you want to buy something that's $100 in a local store, or $95 on Amazon.

If you buy it for $100 in a Mansfield store you pay $108.25 and Mansfield gets $2 tax.

If you buy it on Amazon for $95 and pay no tax, you could donate 1/2 the savings ($2.50) to the Mansfield EDC. You would be better off because you payed $97.50 total. The EDC would be better off because they got $0.50 more.

So IF you are actually concerned about local tax revenue, both you and the local economy would be better off if you shopped online and found the best tax-free price, and then donated some of the savings to the EDC.

Re: Supporting local business [Re: junbengreat] #12562716 01/03/18 05:53 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
That's not how the USA works. No one would donate to that....it would go into their pockets. Cost money to keep a city functional. A few people can't change and pay for everyone else's enjoyment and luxury.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide