Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rookie mistake! #12560940 01/02/18 02:57 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Chalk today up to inexperience. Hadnt fished in almost 2 weeks so I was itching to get out and today was my only opportunity. I could only manage a couple hours and most of that time was spent re-warming my hands. Hi temp of 28, overcast, 10mph winds, jig freezing up in mid-air on the cast, reel binding up and guides completely iced in seconds. Lesson learned. Im outta here... bolt

If you can't find em wind em.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish] #12560975 01/02/18 03:15 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Suck it up! Dip the rod in the water and stick some toads!

Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish] #12561072 01/02/18 04:19 PM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Glad I no longer feel the need to experience this stuff .
Live and learn .

Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish] #12561083 01/02/18 04:26 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: i-Fish
Chalk today up to inexperience. Hadnt fished in almost 2 weeks so I was itching to get out and today was my only opportunity. I could only manage a couple hours and most of that time was spent re-warming my hands. Hi temp of 28, overcast, 10mph winds, jig freezing up in mid-air on the cast, reel binding up and guides completely iced in seconds. Lesson learned. Im outta here... bolt

When it's this cold I ain't taking a chance on getting the flu or worse pneumonia, not worth it. I spend the time in the garage organizing tackle, putting on fresh line, cleaning battery terminals, checking tire pressure, etc.
And I bought a new 10" Helix so I had to remove my old unit and prepare for the new one and I'm going to install a new Ultrex so I have plenty to do until it warms a little. The fish will have to wait and they don't mind at all.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12561109 01/02/18 04:40 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

When it's this cold I ain't taking a chance on getting the flu or worse pneumonia, not worth it. I spend the time in the garage organizing tackle, putting on fresh line, cleaning battery terminals, checking tire pressure, etc.
And I bought a new 10" Helix so I had to remove my old unit and prepare for the new one and I'm going to install a new Ultrex so I have plenty to do until it warms a little. The fish will have to wait and they don't mind at all.

Wise words.

I ain't going fishing unless the air temp is between 60-75 degrees and the skies are mostly cloudy. Also the wind has to be from the southwest at no more than 8 mph.

Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: Ken A.] #12561117 01/02/18 04:44 PM
M
Mike Keenan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Wise words.

I ain't going fishing unless the air temp is between 60-75 degrees and the skies are mostly cloudy. Also the wind has to be from the southwest at no more than 8 mph.

Im right there with you, I dont hate the fish anymore... maybe Im my 20s and 30s but not in my mid-late 40s...

R.I.P. Mike "pappy" "broken rod" Green born 07-16-62 on to better fishing 06-10-08.
www.basscat.com

Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish] #12561134 01/02/18 04:55 PM
H
Hog Jaw Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
H
Used to be that way many moons ago , tore up a lot of equipment that way , got sick , fell in the water it's just not worth it any more at my age . But I get the itch then I sit back down .

Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: Ken A.] #12561196 01/02/18 05:46 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Wise words.

Ha, I know that's a crock, you were just up at Monti and the temp was 37. Besides we're going fishing sometime and not gonna wait until those conditions happen. You were just making fun of me weren't you.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish] #12561207 01/02/18 05:52 PM
James Biggs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
1-2 bites a day is average in those conditions. Probably not worth it, but the bites you get are big.

Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12561210 01/02/18 05:54 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D

Wise words.

Ha, I know that's a crock, you were just up at Monti and the temp was 37. Besides we're going fishing sometime and not gonna wait until those conditions happen. You were just making fun of me weren't you.

Called him out!!! The bigger the fish are the tougher the conditions I will accept.
Ken will do anything anytime except night fish!

Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish] #12561217 01/02/18 05:59 PM
C
coachallentca Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
My son went to Bailey lake today to catch some trout. He lasted 1 hour which is longer than I would have lasted. He caught and was going to keep it. He started to put in the his bucket but it had frozen over.

Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: Dr JL] #12561218 01/02/18 06:00 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I bet a bunch on here would fish all day today in thongs and flip flops if offered a free day at Camelot Bell or La Perla Ranch.

Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish] #12561229 01/02/18 06:10 PM
B
bogey♂ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I like to bundle up and go scouting for new spots on days like that. It gets me out of the "feeling"/"itch" and I find some new spots for when the weather isn't a beating.

Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
you know, nothing wrong with seven men who met on the internet going for a swim together
Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish] #12561234 01/02/18 06:12 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Living in south florida for over twenty five years I forgot what cold was like. Spent one day on Fork a few years ago with below freezing temps in the morning and experienced the rod tips freezing up for an hour until the sun warmed things up. Had never experienced what it was like yesterday with so much equipment failure. Camera battery that showed full charge at start of day went dead or would only come on for a second and then shut off, phone battery did the same thing. Rod and reels were taking a beating, especially with the braid. Knot in braid either came undone or broke off on one cast when everything was iced up from rod tip to drops of water that froze on spool. The worst was the reel handle knobs that wouldn't turn freely. bang The one thing I got right was staying warm. I never came close to getting cold as I had chemical hand warmers for feet, knees, inside gloves, and dressed to swim kept all the heat contained. Stopped off and got some of the new toe warmers which have sticky back to stay where you want them. Used those on my knees as that is where I normally am most vulnerable the way I sit in kayak. I'll be out there again for cold weather but not below freezing all day.

Get you some of these! I'd never used them before, having used the little beany bags ones made by the same company. I don't believe they get as warm as the others but allow you to put them with minimal material between them and your skin and they stay in place.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: senko9S] #12561257 01/02/18 06:35 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: senko9S
I bet a bunch on here would fish all day today in thongs and flip flops if offered a free day at Camelot Bell or La Perla Ranch.

I'd fish butt naked at either one for free if I was the only one with a camera. Think I'm kidding ? Bring it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide