Forum Stats
106801 Members
61 Forums
817701 Topics
10330552 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12560940 - 01/02/18 08:57 AM Rookie mistake!
i-Fish Offline
Pro Angler

Chalk today up to inexperience. Hadnít fished in almost 2 weeks so I was itching to get out and today was my only opportunity. I could only manage a couple hours and most of that time was spent re-warming my hands. Hi temp of 28, overcast, 10mph winds, jig freezing up in mid-air on the cast, reel binding up and guides completely iced in seconds. Lesson learned. Iím outta here... bolt

#12560975 - 01/02/18 09:15 AM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish]
buda13 Offline

Loc: NRH, TX
Suck it up! Dip the rod in the water and stick some toads!

#12561072 - 01/02/18 10:19 AM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish]
slim 285 Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Squeezepenny
Glad I no longer feel the need to experience this stuff .
Live and learn .

#12561083 - 01/02/18 10:26 AM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish]
GIG'EM AGGIES Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: i-Fish
Chalk today up to inexperience. Hadnít fished in almost 2 weeks so I was itching to get out and today was my only opportunity. I could only manage a couple hours and most of that time was spent re-warming my hands. Hi temp of 28, overcast, 10mph winds, jig freezing up in mid-air on the cast, reel binding up and guides completely iced in seconds. Lesson learned. Iím outta here... bolt

When it's this cold I ain't taking a chance on getting the flu or worse pneumonia, not worth it. I spend the time in the garage organizing tackle, putting on fresh line, cleaning battery terminals, checking tire pressure, etc.
And I bought a new 10" Helix so I had to remove my old unit and prepare for the new one and I'm going to install a new Ultrex so I have plenty to do until it warms a little. The fish will have to wait and they don't mind at all.

#12561109 - 01/02/18 10:40 AM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES]
Ken A. Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Trophy Club, TX
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

When it's this cold I ain't taking a chance on getting the flu or worse pneumonia, not worth it. I spend the time in the garage organizing tackle, putting on fresh line, cleaning battery terminals, checking tire pressure, etc.
And I bought a new 10" Helix so I had to remove my old unit and prepare for the new one and I'm going to install a new Ultrex so I have plenty to do until it warms a little. The fish will have to wait and they don't mind at all.

Wise words.

I ain't going fishing unless the air temp is between 60-75 degrees and the skies are mostly cloudy. Also the wind has to be from the southwest at no more than 8 mph.

#12561117 - 01/02/18 10:44 AM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: Ken A.]
Mike Keenan Online   content
TFF Guru

Loc: San Diego, Ca/ Sanger, Tx
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Wise words.

I ain't going fishing unless the air temp is between 60-75 degrees and the skies are mostly cloudy. Also the wind has to be from the southwest at no more than 8 mph.

Iím right there with you, I donít hate the fish anymore... maybe Iím my 20ís and 30ís but not in my mid-late 40ís...

817-673-2102

#12561134 - 01/02/18 10:55 AM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish]
Hog Jaw Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: The Great State of Texas
Used to be that way many moons ago , tore up a lot of equipment that way , got sick , fell in the water it's just not worth it any more at my age . But I get the itch then I sit back down .

#12561196 - 01/02/18 11:46 AM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: Ken A.]
Extreme Angler

Wise words.

Ha, I know that's a crock, you were just up at Monti and the temp was 37. Besides we're going fishing sometime and not gonna wait until those conditions happen. You were just making fun of me weren't you.

#12561207 - 01/02/18 11:52 AM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish]
James Biggs Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: DFW area
1-2 bites a day is average in those conditions. Probably not worth it, but the bites you get are big.

http://www.xcitebaits.com

#12561210 - 01/02/18 11:54 AM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES]
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Aledo, Texas

Wise words.

Ha, I know that's a crock, you were just up at Monti and the temp was 37. Besides we're going fishing sometime and not gonna wait until those conditions happen. You were just making fun of me weren't you.

Called him out!!! The bigger the fish are the tougher the conditions I will accept.
Ken will do anything anytime except night fish!

#12561217 - 01/02/18 11:59 AM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish]
coachallentca Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: crowley
My son went to Bailey lake today to catch some trout. He lasted 1 hour which is longer than I would have lasted. He caught and was going to keep it. He started to put in the his bucket but it had frozen over.

#12561218 - 01/02/18 12:00 PM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: Dr JL]
senko9S Online   content
TFF Guru

Loc: Bedford, TX
I bet a bunch on here would fish all day today in thongs and flip flops if offered a free day at Camelot Bell or La Perla Ranch.

#12561229 - 01/02/18 12:10 PM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish]
bogey♂ Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: plano
I like to bundle up and go scouting for new spots on days like that. It gets me out of the "feeling"/"itch" and I find some new spots for when the weather isn't a beating.

bassboatseats.com

#12561234 - 01/02/18 12:12 PM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: i-Fish]
lconn4 Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Cherokee County
Living in south florida for over twenty five years I forgot what cold was like. Spent one day on Fork a few years ago with below freezing temps in the morning and experienced the rod tips freezing up for an hour until the sun warmed things up. Had never experienced what it was like yesterday with so much equipment failure. Camera battery that showed full charge at start of day went dead or would only come on for a second and then shut off, phone battery did the same thing. Rod and reels were taking a beating, especially with the braid. Knot in braid either came undone or broke off on one cast when everything was iced up from rod tip to drops of water that froze on spool. The worst was the reel handle knobs that wouldn't turn freely. bang The one thing I got right was staying warm. I never came close to getting cold as I had chemical hand warmers for feet, knees, inside gloves, and dressed to swim kept all the heat contained. Stopped off and got some of the new toe warmers which have sticky back to stay where you want them. Used those on my knees as that is where I normally am most vulnerable the way I sit in kayak. I'll be out there again for cold weather but not below freezing all day.

Get you some of these! I'd never used them before, having used the little beany bags ones made by the same company. I don't believe they get as warm as the others but allow you to put them with minimal material between them and your skin and they stay in place.

A good rule of angling philosphy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.

Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

#12561257 - 01/02/18 12:35 PM Re: Rookie mistake! [Re: senko9S]
Extreme Angler

Originally Posted By: senko9S
I bet a bunch on here would fish all day today in thongs and flip flops if offered a free day at Camelot Bell or La Perla Ranch.

I'd fish butt naked at either one for free if I was the only one with a camera. Think I'm kidding ? Bring it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 1998-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide