facebook
Forum Stats
108893 Members
60 Forums
833050 Topics
12104766 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#12560874 - 01/02/18 08:26 AM OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!??
ChrisPowellFishing Offline
Pro Angler

With temperatures dropping and less anglers out on the water to help other fellow anglers with breakdowns, engine troubles, emergencies, or life threatening situations. This Surprisingly overlooked boat maintenance tip shouldn’t be taken lightly. Press that play button and stay safe during your winter fishing adventures guys!

www.facebook.com/ChrisPowellFishing
Follow me on Instagram @ChrisPowellFishing
Giving you a better understanding of the sport we love!

#12562340 - 01/03/18 07:48 AM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing]
steve@hydrodynamics Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Quitman,Tx
you need to pull the bolts all the way out and put washers under the bolt heads.

and you might as well pull the engine and re silicone around the transom bolt holes.

been telling this to guys for 25 years. smile

glad you checked yours.. looks good.

another tip is to run the bolts from the inside to the out. makes it easier to keep the nuts tight.
on the inside there should be a very large flat washer.

#12563449 - 01/03/18 10:02 PM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: steve@hydrodynamics]
Pro Angler

Originally Posted By: steve@hydrodynamics
you need to pull the bolts all the way out and put washers under the bolt heads.

and you might as well pull the engine and re silicone around the transom bolt holes.

another tip is to run the bolts from the inside to the out. makes it easier to keep the nuts tight.

Good info. Thanks for the tip! I will look in to that!

#12563730 - 01/04/18 09:06 AM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: steve@hydrodynamics]
Legend LE-195 Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Hill county

Yep depending on how long its been like that your transom may already have gotten water in it and look like this guys http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...om#Post12149280

Edited by Bossbowman (01/04/18 09:06 AM)

#12563746 - 01/04/18 09:15 AM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing]
the skipper Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: nederland, TX
Spinning those bolts breaks the silicone seal so your transom will leak. It's best to spin the nut and not the bolt if possible or take one out, reseal it and tighten, then go to the next one. I strongly suggest you do that. Because your transom will end up with water in it and it can rot or freeze and bust the glass.

#12563772 - 01/04/18 09:27 AM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: Legend LE-195]
Pro Angler

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

Yep depending on how long its been like that your transom may already have gotten water in it and look like this guys http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...om#Post12149280

Oh wow that was pretty bad! Thankfully mine was not that bad. I had mine on the water the very next day, Which was (December 30th) I was out there for about 5 hours with no leaks and no issues. I felt like it even rode better.... LOL
But just the thought of every bolt holding my motor on was that loose was pretty terrifying! I m surprised I didn’t have an accident or the motor coming completely off. The good Lord was watching out for me I guess! I will definitely be checking on this more often!

#12563773 - 01/04/18 09:27 AM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing]
fish4bass Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: North Tx, USA
Looks like you aren't far from a rusted out trailer. I just had to replace mine after Texoma minerals ate it. Went all aluminum this time.

#12563847 - 01/04/18 10:15 AM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing]
Legend LE-195 Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Hill county
Originally Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Oh wow that was pretty bad! Thankfully mine was not that bad. I had mine on the water the very next day, Which was (December 30th) I was out there for about 5 hours with no leaks and no issues. I felt like it even rode better.... LOL
But just the thought of every bolt holding my motor on was that loose was pretty terrifying! I m surprised I didn’t have an accident or the motor coming completely off. The good Lord was watching out for me I guess! I will definitely be checking on this more often!

Just because its not leaking into the bilge doesn't mean its not leaking into the transom, get the motor and bolts pulled and seal with 3M 4200, do not use silicone it won't last.

#12563888 - 01/04/18 10:44 AM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: fish4bass]
Pro Angler

Originally Posted By: fish4bass
Looks like you aren't far from a rusted out trailer. I just had to replace mine after Texoma minerals ate it. Went all aluminum this time.

Haha! yup she is old and ugly and starting to look her age... Thankfully its mosty surface rust. Those aluminum trailers are game changers! It should work great for you.

#12563895 - 01/04/18 10:52 AM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: Legend LE-195]
Pro Angler

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
[quote=ChrisPowellFishing]

Just because its not leaking into the bilge doesn't mean its not leaking into the transom, get the motor and bolts pulled and seal with 3M 4200, do not use silicone it won't last.[/quote

Great point, That’s interesting I m gonna have to check that out. Thanks for your input! It might save me a headace in the long run.

#12564140 - 01/04/18 01:38 PM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing]
SteezMacQueen Online   sleepy
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Red Oak, Galveston, and Pagosa...
Didn't watch the video., but what these guys are telling you is for real. Likely, the videoclip you made to help us, is gonna help you more. That said, it's only gonna help you if you listen to them. Pull the bolts, pull the motor dry out the transom before it's too late....if it isn't already. Sealing the moisture into the walls is the worst thing you can do.

#12564535 - 01/04/18 06:20 PM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing]
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler

Don't think I have ever seen the bolts inserted with the nuts on the inside of the transom.

#12565090 - 01/05/18 08:34 AM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing]
T-racer Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Melissa, Tx
These tips about 3M 4200.... life saving. Do it. Do not neglect it. Re seal all those bolts and make sure transom is dry.

#12565301 - 01/05/18 10:35 AM Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing]
Pro Angler

Thanks for the heads up guys! I m definitely gonna check this out in the next couple days and get me some 3M 4200!! Yall have a blessed day!

© 1998-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide