Kayak fly rod #12553310 12/27/17 10:58 PM
D
Dougfresh Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Happy holidays everybody.

Can anyone suggest a good fly rod for for fishing out of a kayak? Do any of you find that a shorter rod is easier to manage while kayak fishing? Been looking at some 8 rods like the St. Croix mojo bass fly rod or maybe one of the mojo bass combos from cabelas. Fish mostly for bass but sometimes go for bluegill and perch if its slow.

Thanks

Re: Kayak fly rod [Re: Dougfresh] #12553349 12/27/17 11:32 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I use short fly rods from my Commander kayak, but Im standing 98% of the time. I think a shorter rod is easier to manage and easier when landing the fish. I havent had a rod over 8 in my kayak in years. I use my kayak mainly for inshore saltwater, but like to fish out of a Jon boat for bass, catfish and sunfish, also using short rods.

I like softer action rods for various reasons for the freshwater scene and sometimes even in the salt. Ive had a lot of fun with the Cabelas CGR series and they are a deal when they go on sale. The 7/8 is a good rod for bigger deer hair flies and the 5/6 and 4/5 (I dont think they make it anymore) are good with lighter, more aerodynamic flies. I havent tried the St. Croix. My wind rods are a 7/8 and 8/9 G.Loomis Short Stix. The CGR and G. Loomis are the opposites, with the Loomis rods being extra fast.

To me, long rods are good for deep wading and some guys like them when sitting in a kayak to prevent the fly from hitting the water on the backcast. Long rods might be better at distance casting and on the water mending stuff thats done for cold water trout , but I dont run into long distance casting out on the lake, marsh or bay or do a bunch of mending for local fish. Short rods swing lighter in general and have a lot of built in accuracy. Less fast rods let you keep the rod loaded longer to let you influence the cast longer. Thats my experience anyhow.

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-gear/graphite-vs-fiberglass-with-tim-rajeff-video/

Dont over look fiberglass. Theres more and more of these showing up including some new shorter ones from Echo. Fiberglass protects tippets well and bends so well. When a big fish suddenly dives under your kayak, you will appreciate glass. Its hard to break glass rods, too.

Re: Kayak fly rod [Re: Dougfresh] #12553392 12/28/17 12:24 AM
D
Dougfresh Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Thanks. Thats some good info. I have a diablo so Im standing when I can.

Re: Kayak fly rod [Re: Dougfresh] #12553499 12/28/17 01:46 AM
C
Canoeman1947 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I would second what karstopo had to say. In my opinion the people who think they need a longer rod to keep the backcast off the water, just need to learn to keep their backcast up. A longer rod makes it more difficult to bring the fish to hand without putting too much stress on the rod. Also as karstopo said the glass rod will flex a lot further without damage and will offer more protection for your tippet. Standing will allow you to use a longer rod more efficiently and safely, but there are times when standing is not a good idea. All of my fishing from a kayak is done while sitting because I am getting old and my balance is not as good as it used to be and my Native Ultimate is not as stable for standing as your Diablo, so I rarely use a rod longer than 7' when in my kayak.

Larry

Re: Kayak fly rod [Re: Dougfresh] #12554126 12/28/17 02:29 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
One thing Ive noticed about fly fishing for bass, catfish and sunfish on the oxbow by my house is that you dont need to make long casts. I try to set up maybe 30 or 35 feet from my target which is the shoreline. It might be 50 feet or 20 feet, but most of the action is within 15 or maybe 20 feet of the shoreline. I dont want a fast stiff rod with lots of power. Its harder to control those and makes threading the line and fly under and between the tree canopy more difficult, thats my experience. With the softer, slower glass rods, Im adjusting my cast during the forward stroke while the rod stays in load to get just enough power to put the fly on target, thats the idea.

And the nice thing with a fly set up is that I dont have to reel up the line like with conventional gear. Just make a few strips in the target zone and cast and repeat. The wind is seldom an issue like in an open bay or marsh. When Im on casting wise, I can generally get the fly with the same sort of accuracy I had using baitcasting gear.

I dont think a rod has to be glass, but a lot of modern graphite rods are very fast and stiffer in their action. I saw where the US fly rod accuracy casting champ Chris Korich often uses old school first generation graphite more medium action rods in accuracy competitions.

http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/view...d33c6a1e#p33763

In the link he talks about why he uses the 40 year old first generation rods.

Re: Kayak fly rod [Re: Dougfresh] #12554228 12/28/17 03:50 PM
F
fishr3 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Yes. Shorter fly rod is definitely easier to manage from the kayak. I like using a Bass Pro Shops Dogwood Canyon 7'6" 5wt with soft tip for slinging bead head buggers from the bank or in the kayak. It's a relatively cheap $100 beginner's combo. I just noticed they have a 7' 4wt. I think that would be fun to fish too.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide