Forum Stats
106817 Members
61 Forums
817808 Topics
10332219 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#12553971 - 12/28/17 03:24 AM Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff
Dustin Aldous Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Haslet, TX
I own a small bait company and sponsor a bass club currently. I was wondering about what field and pro staff anglers are receiving as compensation. Are there discounts, freebies, what do your sponsors do for you, etc...? Just curious at the moment so I can start setting up my sponsorship program since most posts are about individuals seeking sponsorship and its hard to find things about what the company actually does for you. Thanks for the help and feel free to respond here or pm me!
www.fishtcbc.com

#12554278 - 12/28/17 10:32 AM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Dustin Aldous]
Outlaw Outdoors Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: East Texas
From the guys that I know that are on some prostaff deals, they receive a certain amount of credit each year towards purchase of lures/baits. I've even heard of companies limiting them to "x" amount per month of that amount. For example, they get $1,000 in product for 2018, but they can only order up to $100 per month. I guess this keeps a guy from getting all the product up front and then not fulfilling his obligations throughout the year. It also prevents a small company from having to deal out a lot of free product all at one time.

If you're serious about setting up a prostaff, I would suggest some guidelines for someone to qualify such as:
- Have a Facebook page with a minimum of 1,000 followers
- Make a specified number of posts on the FB page per week or month mentioning your company
- Wear a company provided patch on their jersey in "x" number of tournaments (must weigh in fish)
- Company sticker on truck, boat, etc
- Put together "x" number of videos to be used on social media promoting the company
- Require the prostaffer to visit retailers where the lures/baits are sold and visit with key people
- Require the prostaffer to attend trade shows, grand openings, etc where your product is sold to increase the presence of your brand

Good luck with your company.

#12554306 - 12/28/17 10:56 AM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Outlaw Outdoors]
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Lufkin, TX
Originally Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors
From the guys that I know that are on some prostaff deals, they receive a certain amount of credit each year towards purchase of lures/baits. I've even heard of companies limiting them to "x" amount per month of that amount. For example, they get $1,000 in product for 2018, but they can only order up to $100 per month. I guess this keeps a guy from getting all the product up front and then not fulfilling his obligations throughout the year. It also prevents a small company from having to deal out a lot of free product all at one time.

If you're serious about setting up a prostaff, I would suggest some guidelines for someone to qualify such as:
- Make a specified number of posts on the FB page per week or month mentioning your company
- Wear a company provided patch on their jersey in "x" number of tournaments (must weigh in fish)
- Put together "x" number of videos to be used on social media promoting the company
- Require the prostaffer to visit retailers where the lures/baits are sold and visit with key people
- Require the prostaffer to attend trade shows, grand openings, etc where your product is sold to increase the presence of your brand

That's a start!

#12554374 - 12/28/17 11:56 AM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Bigron119]
Dustin Aldous Offline
Outdoorsman

Thanks for the great info! That’s what I was thinking for the most part and wanted to double check. Didn’t want to offer something up and feel like I’m getting stiffed or I’m stiffing someone else. From what I understand about field staff it’s just discounted items and what not.
www.fishtcbc.com

#12554436 - 12/28/17 12:52 PM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Outlaw Outdoors]
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Lake Fork

Only "issue" is about weighing fish, or perhaps where you finish.
I've fished against a guy for several years that is sponsored by "X" company(s). He has weighed more than my partner and I only a couple of times and rarely gets a check. However, he is extremely personable and is well liked by everyone. Always smiling, talks to anyone and promotes the products he is backed by. Don't know of anyone who considers him a "stick", including himself. Yet, imo, he is the perfect representative of the companies who he represents.
So, it's not always about weighing fish..

And not to make light of the OP's question..but if you have a cool logo/artwork there are a ton of guys who will add it to their jerseys just to look cool.

#12554447 - 12/28/17 01:05 PM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Txduckhunter]
Doug R. Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: back in the day
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

Only "issue" is about weighing fish, or perhaps where you finish.
I've fished against a guy for several years that is sponsored by "X" company(s). He has weighed more than my partner and I only a couple of times and rarely gets a check. However, he is extremely personable and is well liked by everyone. Always smiling, talks to anyone and promotes the products he is backed by. Don't know of anyone who considers him a "stick", including himself. Yet, imo, he is the perfect representative of the companies who he represents.
So, it's not always about weighing fish..

And not to make light of the OP's question..but if you have a cool logo/artwork there are a ton of guys who will add it to their jerseys just to look cool.

+1

a lot of the good promotional guys aren't that good in tournaments

and a lot of your good tournament anglers do not want to divulge their baits or techniques

You need to look for good salesmen not good fishermen

#12554527 - 12/28/17 02:09 PM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Dustin Aldous]
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Red Oak, Galveston, and Pagosa...
Throw me a Lamborghini my way and I'll pimp just about any fishing product.

Lol

#12554530 - 12/28/17 02:12 PM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Dustin Aldous]
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Lufkin, TX
When I review ProStaff requests I am looking at the marketing aspect of the Angler. It is nice if they are successful, BUT some of those guys couldn't promote a "glass of water in a desert"! We look for professional people who take pride in their abilities. Correct spelling on resumes and articles/blogs, appearance, good character, etc. Having said that- Most prospective anglers asking for sponsorship are just looking for FREE STUFF! Most of them think that JUST wearing a Logo on their shirt is sufficient. But there are also other options to help promote the Sponsor Company. With all the free Social Media availability there is no reason that staff should not make some posts. Some companies are at different levels in the fishing market. They might be trying to establish themselves so their requirements can be more of a "salesman" approach. They might require their Staff to contact and make sales calls. Other companies might be established and are looking to expand their visibility and recognition. So they don't require the "Salesman" approach. Each company has to decide where their budget/products can be utilized best with their Staff personnel. Some companies are just looking to have their Staff as purchasers of their products and thereby guaranteeing the company sales through the ProStaff approach. You also need to consider the "sponsorship" of events/agencies/organizations and how much you can contribute. Those can be "indirect" marketing and visibility approaches. They might help your sales later on as your products get recognized. Sometimes they will let you set up a booth at their events for direct sales.
Dustin, you will have to look at your products and how much/many you can afford to "give away". The prospects always want stuff for free. And you will have to consider what they can contribute vs how much product/discount you can give them.

#12554673 - 12/28/17 04:17 PM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Dustin Aldous]
Josh Seale Offline
Angler

Loc: San Angelo
It is important to find the right fit. Most fisherman want to be on a pro staff so they can call themselves sponsored and get free stuff without doing the work. Find someone who truly believes in the product and has that “what can I do for you” mindset.

#12554693 - 12/28/17 04:30 PM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Dustin Aldous]
Dubee Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Godley Tx
Plenty of people that will do whatever they can for a couple of free jigs a year

#12554846 - 12/28/17 06:25 PM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Dubee]
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Red Oak, Galveston, and Pagosa...
Originally Posted By: Dubee
Plenty of people that will do whatever they can for a couple of free jigs a year

I've been sponsored by Rockford Fosgate, Focal, and Alpine, as well as many others in years past. Trust me, the companies expect a TON in return in exchange for anything of significance. The only one that kinda doesn't expect a HUGE amount of your time is Optima (Johnson Controls). The average "sponsorship" deal isn't beneficial to either party involved on an enthusiasts level. It just doesn't make sense or cents.

#12554897 - 12/28/17 07:03 PM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Dustin Aldous]
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: texas
My wife was sponsoring me until she became my ex, but I really haven't noticed a drop in tackle, lures or gas for the boat.

#12554935 - 12/28/17 07:19 PM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Outlaw Outdoors]
dmr183 Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: San Antonio

I can’t catch fish, I don’t do book face, I don’t want a patch on my jersey, truck or boat, I don’t own a go pro for videos, no idea what a trade show is, and even if I did, I damn sure wouldn’t do any of that for $100 worth of free junk a month. So, I guess I’m out......

#12555125 - 12/28/17 09:17 PM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Dustin Aldous]
D_Prince Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Center, TX
Well that was a positive post.

#12555145 - 12/28/17 09:28 PM Re: Questions on sponsoring anglers. Field and Pro Staff [Re: Dustin Aldous]
Dustin Aldous Offline
Outdoorsman

Everyone, thanks for the feedback! It's great to hear a few different perspectives on this topic, especially since there is not a whole lot of discussion on this side of the sponsorship.
www.fishtcbc.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 1998-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide