texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,886
Posts13,954,815
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Boat positioning and wind #12551856 12/26/17 04:12 PM
Big Kahuna Fishing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I am working and studying about boat positioning and have a question.
Looking at the attached map, my game plan was to position my boat at the base of the blue arrows,
and cast in the direction of the arrows IE: Shallow to deep.

But a majority of the time I am faced with a wind that is out of the south west (green arrow).
Most of what I am reading recommends casting into the wind.

So do I still keep the same boat position ?

Cast with the wind ?

Or work my cast from the opposite side IE: Deep to shallow and cast into the wind ?

Living the American Dream in central Texas !
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Boat positioning and wind [Re: Big Kahuna Fishing] #12551877 12/26/17 04:31 PM
B
Bill Durham Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I don't know about the casting in to the wind part.. but I think you have to position your boat into the wind so you can maintain position. In really high wind, I have seen the Elites orient the bow of the boat into the wind and fishing directly behind the boat to be able to feel the bait.

Re: Boat positioning and wind [Re: Big Kahuna Fishing] #12551882 12/26/17 04:35 PM
I
Ian Fellenbaum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
when I fish crankbaits or any other reactions bait, I would position my boat so I can cast into the wind.

STORAGE CONTAINERS TO GO
Sales-Rentals-Rent to Own
Re: Boat positioning and wind [Re: Big Kahuna Fishing] #12551901 12/26/17 04:48 PM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
I think you may be reading to much, don't make it harder than it is,just go fishing and figure it out on your own and have fun

Re: Boat positioning and wind [Re: Ian Fellenbaum] #12551902 12/26/17 04:48 PM
T Bird Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum
when I fish crankbaits or any other reactions bait, I would position my boat so I can cast into the wind.

Bet that's a lot of fun. eeks

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Boat positioning and wind [Re: Big Kahuna Fishing] #12551907 12/26/17 04:54 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I would also suggest casting into the wind with a crankbait. There are different philosophies on this but I believe it works better for me. And yes, on a heavy wind day it sucks, so I would suggest switching to a lipless instead of a deep diver when the wind is going to prevent you from getting the casting distance you need on the deep diver.

Re: Boat positioning and wind [Re: Big Kahuna Fishing] #12551954 12/26/17 05:34 PM
L
LittleGazoo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
It's easier to cast with the wind, but I like what ever the bass like.

But I figure the bass will be positioned to face in the direction their food is coming from, so most times I will position to cast into the wind if the wind is generating any current.

I do crank, but fish bottom contact soft plastics more which are easier to cast into a wind. Also when I mark bass on sonar, it is easier for me to swing facing into the wind and align boat pointing directly at waypoint to make more accurate cast.

And if I'm searching fish to find some pattern, I actually like to cast along the green line in your diagram to fish my lure at a 45 degree angle up or down the bottom slope so lure remains in a depth range a little longer period.

Fishing into or with the wind is easier for me since I have spot-lock capable trolling-motor.

Re: Boat positioning and wind [Re: LittleGazoo] #12551973 12/26/17 06:02 PM
H
H2ODawg67 Offline
Angler
Angler
H
If you are fishing deep the wind has little effect on the fish. If they are releasing water that current flow will have more effect than the wind current. Like somebody mentioned above, don't put that much attention into the wind. What I am saying is, the only constant is change. The theory of you have to throw into the wind or you won't catch fish is bologna. For example the wind is blowing into a bank 20-25 m p h, I can't tell you how many times I have caught them on that bank, many fish and big fish. They are somtimes right on the bank sometimes a half cast off the bank. Would I catch more if I was on the bank and casting out (into the wind) I don't know. I have never beached my boat and started to bank fish. More times than not the fish want the food delivered to their front door, but if the the delivery guy came to the back door and put it on their kitchen table I think the would still eat it. If they don't eat it, when they pick it up to put it in the trash, wellll set the hook.

Formerly H2ODawg
Re: Boat positioning and wind [Re: Big Kahuna Fishing] #12551985 12/26/17 06:19 PM
H
H2ODawg67 Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Originally Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing
I am working and studying about boat positioning and have a question.
Looking at the attached map, my game plan was to position my boat at the base of the blue arrows,
and cast in the direction of the arrows IE: Shallow to deep.

But a majority of the time I am faced with a wind that is out of the south west (green arrow).
Most of what I am reading recommends casting into the wind.

So do I still keep the same boat position ?

Cast with the wind ?

Or work my cast from the opposite side IE: Deep to shallow and cast into the wind ?

Looking at your map I would start at the top blue arrow and work the shallow bank towards the bottom blue arrow. If they are not up shallow then you can proceed to circle the offshore humps and ridges, let the fish decide which direction they want the bait presented from.

Formerly H2ODawg
Re: Boat positioning and wind [Re: Bill Durham] #12551990 12/26/17 06:24 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bill Durham
I don't know about the casting in to the wind part.. but I think you have to position your boat into the wind so you can maintain position. In really high wind, I have seen the Elites orient the bow of the boat into the wind and fishing directly behind the boat to be able to feel the bait.

Can't argue with this, I mean after all they make a living doing this so I'm using their advice. thumb

Last edited by GIG'EM AGGIES; 12/26/17 06:25 PM.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Boat positioning and wind [Re: Big Kahuna Fishing] #12552063 12/26/17 07:42 PM
C
ChrisPowellFishing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Depends on what technique I m fishing. If I m deep cranking I like to fish with the wind to my back while keeping my trolling motor pointed backwards to keep my boat in one spot. With the wind at my back I can easily maximum my casting distance and my over all cranking depth will increase on the longer cast. With that being said if you dont and I repeat IF YOU DONT maintain good boat positioning while deep cranking you are killing your diving depth like crazy! If its so windy that my trolling motor cant keep my boat in one spot so my crank bait can reach its maximum Depth, then I will go with other techniques that arent so sensitive to boat positioning. Just something you can throw out there and it will sink to the bottom Like a Football jig, Hair Jig, swimbait With 3/4oz Jig head, Or a 1oz spinner bait. Hope that helps! smile

Subscribe to the channel!
www.youtube.com/c/ChrisPowellFishingTV
Like me on Facebook!
www.facebook.com/ChrisPowellFishing
Follow me on Instagram @ChrisPowellFishing
Giving you a better understanding of the sport we love!
Re: Boat positioning and wind [Re: Big Kahuna Fishing] #12552488 12/27/17 03:49 AM
J
jcwebb70 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I would consider what depth the fish are. If they are shallow, I'm off bank throwing into the wind. But if I understand your scenario, fish are offshore. In that case I will position up wind in shallower water and cast deep. Easier to keep bottom contact, I consider shallow water a type of choke point, so deeper fish might feel its more natural to chase bait shallow from deep. I keep my nose into the wind, hit spot lock, if too deep for poles, then fish off the back deck(more stable than the front):) Spot lock and PPoles have allowed me to focus on fishing all areas around me thoroughly w/o fighting the motor.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide