Forums59
Topics1,038,972
Posts13,956,678
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Your tournament practice techniques [Re: JC Skeeter] #12535829 12/12/17 06:43 PM
C
cephusjoe Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
I like to junk fish a few Days before (if work permits) or the weekend before the tournament, I’ll test a few things and places for current time of year and current weather patterns. If I catch a few on spot I’ll move on to the next to have that spot in my pocket. I do use hooks but I won’t sit on fish and wear them out. I’d rather find a bite and move on for bigger or more fish. Come game day I just go off gut instinct. If possible I like to fish tournaments hours, not the evenings.

Mcurtain county okie
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Your tournament practice techniques [Re: JC Skeeter] #12535944 12/12/17 08:26 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
If I have a spot that has been fishing good, i'll never touch it on a practice day. If I catch a keeper >15 inches or more I usually leave. I'll figure it out on tournament day.

Re: Your tournament practice techniques [Re: Fishn_man] #12536034 12/12/17 09:49 PM
C
COWBOYSFAN008 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Fishn_man
I don't prefish anymore... I just go fishing..

This

"On the 8th day, God created the DALLAS COWBOYS"
Real men love Jesus, don't wear scarves, pop their gum, or use an umbrella....IMO

<*\\\><
PHIL 4:13
Re: Your tournament practice techniques [Re: JC Skeeter] #12536396 12/13/17 02:36 AM
EastTexasBassin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I just cover water with moving baits to find good areas, then I come back on tourny day and slowly work the areas where I got bit.

Summer is different, since I'm mostly fishing deep cranks. I'll pick a bunch of spots on the map, and then mostly just graph those spots on practice days. I'll make a few casts at each spot, and if I catch a bass I just save the waypoint and move on.

Re: Your tournament practice techniques [Re: JC Skeeter] #12536751 12/13/17 02:13 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
With the electronics that are available these days, I would bet money that the Elite guys will run all over a lake marking waypoints during practice at least one full day and never make a cast.

I fished with a young man last weekend that had an 8" and a 12" HDS Lowrance on the bow of his boat and an 8" and a 12 HDS on the console. He kept the 8 for mapping and the 12 for looking at the structure/fish. That's 40" of screens!

The technology is so good you can tell if the fish are crappie or bass if the units are tuned well. It is remarkable. I rode with one of the Elite pros in practice one day that never killed his outboard ALL day.

There is no doubt the guys that know how to use their electronics well are going to find the fish. If you have 15 schools of fish located during practice, the chances are good that one or two of them will produce a nice limit.

Last edited by Ken A.; 12/13/17 02:14 PM.

Re: Your tournament practice techniques [Re: Ken A.] #12536859 12/13/17 03:06 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
With the electronics that are available these days, I would bet money that the Elite guys will run all over a lake marking waypoints during practice at least one full day and never make a cast.

I fished with a young man last weekend that had an 8" and a 12" HDS Lowrance on the bow of his boat and an 8" and a 12 HDS on the console. He kept the 8 for mapping and the 12 for looking at the structure/fish. That's 40" of screens!

The technology is so good you can tell if the fish are crappie or bass if the units are tuned well. It is remarkable. I rode with one of the Elite pros in practice one day that never killed his outboard ALL day.

There is no doubt the guys that know how to use their electronics well are going to find the fish. If you have 15 schools of fish located during practice, the chances are good that one or two of them will produce a nice limit.

Guess I'm gonna have to get me one of those new fangled HDS graphs.

This is what I'm using and I can't tell what kind of fish they are.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Your tournament practice techniques [Re: JC Skeeter] #12536863 12/13/17 03:09 PM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
75% of tourney fishing is "Finding Fish". Learn how to use your electronics when pre-fishing and note water/weather conditions, time, presence of bait fish, water clarity and temperature, time of year etc... I consider what to use to catch them the other 25%. Watermelon, green pumpkin colors usually work on any lake but there are variables to color depending on water color. Stay positive and don't over think things!

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Re: Your tournament practice techniques [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12536894 12/13/17 03:28 PM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

That's nice. I don't think my Humminbird Super Sixty has that cone graph showing field of view at depth. You've got a good deal there!

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: Your tournament practice techniques [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12537160 12/13/17 06:39 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

The Lowrance version of a record player, eh?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Your tournament practice techniques [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12537308 12/13/17 08:34 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

The Lowrance version of a record player, eh?

You'd be $hittin in high cotton if you had one of these "little green Boxes" back in 1965 Steez. Lowrance sold over a million of'em. After I bought my first glass bass boat I used a Lowrance paper graph and flasher, kept it and used it on my next two new boats. Got to be hard to find paper and stencils so I moved up to touch screen Lowrance 2 years ago. Hard to break old habits.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Your tournament practice techniques [Re: JC Skeeter] #12537332 12/13/17 08:49 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
"aren't you going to your moms this weekend ?"
"honey,everyone practices, you gotta find them,.."
"I haven't practiced in months, I need the time on water"
"of course we'll be home in time to go to your sisters wedding"
"new reels have to be checked before the tournaments,.."
"the yards all cut, trimmed, and raked,..."
"it's my turn to drive, and Tom took off just to go tomorrow"

This was some of my material that worked better than others,.. to practice... clap

Re: Your tournament practice techniques [Re: JC Skeeter] #12537356 12/13/17 09:03 PM
Sinkey Offline
Tidy Scoop
Tidy Scoop
Cover water and catch fish. If the bite is slow going into a tournament.....sleep in! roflmao

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide