Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? #12525657 12/04/17 01:23 AM
361V Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
With various jigs(swim, football, pitching...) that have the fiber weedguards: do y'all spread the weedguard out to cover more of the hook from the sides...or leave it packed together as it comes out of the package? Thoughts and experiences? What keeps them the most weedless?

Last edited by 361V; 12/04/17 01:24 AM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: 361V] #12525741 12/04/17 02:15 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I did a guide trip with Dreabon Joiner (best ever on Fork IMO ) who was one of the best Jig fisherman around. He showed and taught me how to "trim" a jig. First you squeeze the plastic strands together around the hook with your thumb and fore finger and with a pair of scissors trim the excess past the hook. This causes the plastic to flair as it's falling. Next you spread the fiber weed guard about a half inch and trim it about 1/8" past the hook so that when the bass bites the weed guard collapses exposing the hook. He thought leaving the weed guard stiff, together and long caused him to miss some bites especially in deeper water. Ever since I trim all my jigs in this manner and can't recall ever missing a bite. Probably did a poor job of describing how to do this but hopefully it makes sense.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: 361V] #12525824 12/04/17 03:09 AM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Depends on what cover I'm fishing. In grass I want it slim and stiff to get thru the grass easier. Out fishing brush piles I will spread it out to keep from getting so many hang ups

Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12525995 12/04/17 12:55 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
I did a guide trip with Dreabon Joiner (best ever on Fork IMO ) who was one of the best Jig fisherman around. He showed and taught me how to "trim" a jig. First you squeeze the plastic strands together around the hook with your thumb and fore finger and with a pair of scissors trim the excess past the hook. This causes the plastic to flair as it's falling. Next you spread the fiber weed guard about a half inch and trim it about 1/8" past the hook so that when the bass bites the weed guard collapses exposing the hook. He thought leaving the weed guard stiff, together and long caused him to miss some bites especially in deeper water. Ever since I trim all my jigs in this manner and can't recall ever missing a bite. Probably did a poor job of describing how to do this but hopefully it makes sense.

Dreabon was good on Fork. This is what I do too on most jigs.

The Strike King Structure jig that Denny Brauer designed has the weedguard at a good angle and normally doesn't need to be trimmed. I do spread it with my thumb into a vee and flex it a few times when I take it out of the package. Then I add one of these rattles behind the skirt. It's a confidence thing for me.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Northland...page-NTDBB.html

Last edited by Ken A.; 12/04/17 01:23 PM.

Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: 361V] #12526095 12/04/17 02:41 PM
007. Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I do not spread the weedguard out. For me anyway, when I have tried spreading the weedguard out it seemed to make the weedguard softer, which made the jig snag more.

I was noticing in this video that this man was fishing his weedguards straight out the package. No fanning or trimming. He was fishing flooded brush in this tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kgkgfqtiV4

Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: 007.] #12526120 12/04/17 02:58 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 007.
I do not spread the weedguard out. For me anyway, when I have tried spreading the weedguard out it seemed to make the weedguard softer, which made the jig snag more.

I was noticing in this video that this man was fishing his weedguards straight out the package. No fanning or trimming. He was fishing flooded brush in this tournament.

I couldn't tell if the weed guard had been spread or trimmed by the video. The weed guard and the hook are facing up when the jig is on the bottom so the only way it hangs up is if somehow it gets underneath a limb and usually your line is over the limb first so the jig would somehow have to flip upside down to hang the limb. Anyhoo, poster ask if we spread the weed guard and I answered yes. Everybody fishes different so I guess there's no definitive way to fish it. Never bought one with instructions on the package.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: Ken A.] #12526143 12/04/17 03:13 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Dreabon was good on Fork. This is what I do too on most jigs.

The Strike King Structure jig that Denny Brauer designed has the weedguard at a good angle and normally doesn't need to be trimmed. I do spread it with my thumb into a vee and flex it a few times when I take it out of the package. Then I add one of these rattles behind the skirt. It's a confidence thing for me.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Northland...page-NTDBB.html

I have a ton of those rattles for the same reason

Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12526172 12/04/17 03:26 PM
007. Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: 007.

I couldn't tell if the weed guard had been spread or trimmed by the video. The weed guard and the hook are facing up when the jig is on the bottom so the only way it hangs up is if somehow it gets underneath a limb and usually your line is over the limb first so the jig would somehow have to flip upside down to hang the limb. Anyhoo, poster ask if we spread the weed guard and I answered yes. Everybody fishes different so I guess there's no definitive way to fish it. Never bought one with instructions on the package.

Yes, I agree, everyone fishes different. I was just telling the OP what works good for me. Go to the end of the video 3:54 and you can see the weedguard.

Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: 361V] #12526214 12/04/17 03:47 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Weedguards absorb water like monofilament and get softer once they've been in the water for a while. Throw your favorite jig in a glass of water and check the weedguard after an hour. It is way softer.

Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: 361V] #12526394 12/04/17 05:40 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
I never spread my weed guards.I think they hang up more when you do this.

Less strains = less pressure/resistance to hold off getting hung up. If you can set the hook no need to spread. IMO

When I designed my Viper XP Jig in the late 80's and through the early 90's we tried several weed guards and locations/length of it.

We found the best position was where the weed guard crosses at the back of the barb. We use a 32 strain med for good hook ups and good resistance to keep off the wood.

To each one is his own standards.

Last edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell; 12/04/17 05:43 PM.
Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #12526462 12/04/17 06:19 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
I never spread my weed guards.I think they hang up more when you do this.

Less strains = less pressure/resistance to hold off getting hung up. If you can set the hook no need to spread. IMO

When I designed my Viper XP Jig in the late 80's and through the early 90's we tried several weed guards and locations/length of it.

We found the best position was where the weed guard crosses at the back of the barb. We use a 32 strain med for good hook ups and good resistance to keep off the wood.

To each one is his own standards.

Marc, do you trim your weedguard any?

Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: the skipper] #12526499 12/04/17 06:42 PM
Joefishin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: the skipper
Depends on what cover I'm fishing. In grass I want it slim and stiff to get thru the grass easier. Out fishing brush piles I will spread it out to keep from getting so many hang ups

I agree here. I spread them out in rocks and wood because I know the jig won't always come through this cover the same way twice. I jig will fall on it's side etc coming through branches and I want the sides to be covered as well. I will trim back the fiber guard just past the hook point as well to increase hookups.

You will also notice a difference in fiber guard thickness on the types of jigs. Usually Football Jigs have lighter fiber guards to allow better hookups with more line out. Flipping and Pitching jigs have thicker fiber guards because you have less line out and more leverage so the stiffness of the fiber guard doesn't affect hookup as much.

Flipping and Pitching jigs I still fan out my fiberguards a little, but I don't worry as much about fanning to the side. I fan them away from the hookpoint. The reason I always fan my fiber guards is to lessen the stiffness. It really is an experience thing because manufacturers use different thicknesses. There are some I don't fan at all, I will use them as is straight out of the package. But generally speaking a Flipping Jig will have pretty stiff fiber guards and IMO they need a bit of fanning to increase hookup ratio.

Last edited by Joefishin; 12/04/17 06:47 PM.
Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: 361V] #12527870 12/05/17 07:20 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
No, I do not trim the weed guard.

We have the weed guard set in the head to the length we want it so it passes just behind the barb of the hook we found this was best.

www.viperxplures.com

Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: 361V] #12529815 12/07/17 09:38 AM
B
BaylorBass Offline
Angler
Angler
B
A while back Lonnie Stanley ( of Stanley Jigs) showed me that he spreads the fiber guard when he fishes... been doing it ever since and I feel like I get a better hookup ratio.

Lake Travis Fishing Guide
www.fish512.com
Re: Spread out your jigs fiber weedguard? [Re: BaylorBass] #12529907 12/07/17 01:30 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: CAbaylor2014
A while back Lonnie Stanley ( of Stanley Jigs) showed me that he spreads the fiber guard when he fishes... been doing it ever since and I feel like I get a better hookup ratio.

You took a tip from a pro as I did and I do the same. Shoot, the guy makes one of the best jigs out there why not take his advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide