Print Thread
Any nissan techs here. #12515855 11/25/17 07:13 PM
L
leanin post Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
truck did something very strange a few days ago. I was waiting in traffic at a full stop with foot on the brake. the engine suddenly surged to full throttle, and the rear tires broke loose and started squealing, I pulled the e brake as hard as I could and put it in park, then shut the engine off. I know these trucks (o5 frontier ) use the electronic driver by wire throttle system. The gas pedal is basically a potentiometer or pedal position sensor, that is linked with the ECU, that tells the throttle body motor to open or close. I cleaned my throttle body good, it was quite gummed up, and it improved my idle. I am worried that the unintended throttle surge will happen again, while my wife is driving. I put a obd 2 code scanner and it gave 2 02 sensor codes and one evap system code, but nothing to do with the throttle or fuel system. The toyotas had a problem of the same nature a few years back and they hired NASA scientist to try and figure it out, but they couldnt. finally they shimmed a portion of the lever part on the throttle apparature, and that supposedly fixed it.
In my case, it could not have been a sticking of the throttle,
because I was at a full stop . NO MY OTHER FOOT WAS NOT ON THE THROTTLE, IVE BEEN DRIVING OVER 30 YEARS.
There are supposed to be redundant systems built into the pedals and computer, that keep this from happening. I did some testing and the frontier will shut off at the key in drive so if it happens again, at least I know I can shut it off. I called Nissan usa and they were no help at all, but I got the complaint documented at least. what i want to know is if a dirty throttle body can cause this situation, and what should be done to correct it. If I take it to the dealer, they wont find any codes, drive it around the block, charge me 500.00 and tell me its fine. Truck has 122.000 miles, and has been a great truck, except for all of the airbag problems.
I have done research on the internet and this same situation has happened to several other nissan owners. not alot like Toyota, but =enough to cause concern. Nissan did a recall on foot pedals in japan for another issue, UI think it was failure to accelerate , or stalling issues. None in the US though. I think my next move may be to go to nissan, and buy an OEM gas pedal and put it on . unless I get a better reccommendation

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Any nissan techs here. [Re: leanin post] #12515861 11/25/17 07:20 PM
W
WackyRigger Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Sell it buy American Trucks are one thing Americans build right

Speak up, you say this is your safety? Well, this is my boot, son, and it will fit up your ass with the proper amount of force!
Re: Any nissan techs here. [Re: WackyRigger] #12516249 11/26/17 02:31 AM
L
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: WackyRigger
Sell it buy American Trucks are one thing Americans build right

they all have their problems, u recall when fords were catching fire due to a faulty headlight switch, the spark plugs blowing out of the heads on the triton engines, they are just trying to always reinvent the wheel. why in the heck they would use an electronic throttle system instead of linkage is just beyond me. No chance of failure on a linkage system.
Thinks like tire pressure sensors, now that is useful, as im sure low tire pressures have caused many blowouts and deaths over the years, not to mention tires wearing abnormally.
If I ever buy new again it will be a dodge ram or chevy
silverado. I just dont think they are worth the money they are asking though. The problem is when one does something, like a rear back up camera, or three stage paint job, its monkey see monkey do. all of the manufactures start doing it, and the price goes up fast. Navigation systems,fasctory alarms, sattleite radio, 7 airbags, 20 inch rims with 80.000 mile tires, bedliner, utilitrac systems, sunroofs, dvd screens, and on and on, is why trucks are 50 grand and up. The manufactures sell it as standard equiptment because they make it back 5 fold when they sell the truck, instead of offering it as optional equiptment.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Any nissan techs here. [Re: leanin post] #12519306 11/28/17 10:52 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
One of the problems they found was the floor mats would ride up on the pedal. Check that yours is fitting good and not able to catch the pedal.

A dealer if no problem was found would charge you no more than 1 hour labor. Most will discount the labor rate for diag only and some will not charge you at all. None will charge you $500 for a NPF unless tear down of an engine or transmission was authorized before work is done. You won't need any tear down.

Re: Any nissan techs here. [Re: leanin post] #12520879 11/30/17 03:06 AM
CHAMPION FISH Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Good advice. Call your dealer.

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Re: Any nissan techs here. [Re: leanin post] #12521180 11/30/17 02:27 PM
C
coachallentca Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Niisians are [censored]. Don't ask me how I know. Sold mine as fast as I could. Thanks carmax for taking it off my hands.

Re: Any nissan techs here. [Re: leanin post] #12525885 12/04/17 04:15 AM
L
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
the constant air bag systems are an issue too. honda is recalling and fixing thiers for the most part, but nissan is not wanting to fix things. I have a problem with the sensor in the passenger seat, but they have a problem with the software that they cant seem to get sorted out, so im riding it a truck with 5 airbags and none of them will work , when there is a problem in the system,. the whole system shuts off. If I reset the system, its fine until someone sits in the passenger seat, but as soon as somene does, it throws a code and disables the system. the passenger airbag seat sensor is to sense if a child is in the seat, so the airbag wont deploy, because airbags have killed several children. so my option is, pay 1,000 for a new passenger seat, and hope the system works , but might not, because nissan cant figure out how to fix the software for that particular system, (the passenger seat sensor). I tell ya, instead of all this high tech bullshitt that doesnt work, I rather have an old truck with some good american steel around me and some heavy duty bumpers.
the 5 airbag system was one of the main reasons I bought the truck . other than that I cannot say its been a bad truck.
since owning it new, ive replaced a camshaft position sensor.. 65.00 .. a window motor 50.00, a heater hose. fixed a small a/c leak, and a few other very minor things. door speakers are blown, and CD players are trash. one was \replaced under warr,anty and the one they replaced it with lasted abt a year. Truck has never left me stranded. I put a new battery ever 3 years, and run valvoline oil. bought truck on 2005 and has 126.000 miles. hoping it last another 2 years, then buying a brand new chrysler mini van. Then Im going to trade it in every year or 2 before it hits 100,ooo miles.

Re: Any nissan techs here. [Re: coachallentca] #12548536 12/23/17 03:37 AM
B
basscaster46 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: coachallentca
Niisians are [censored]. Don't ask me how I know. Sold mine as fast as I could. Thanks carmax for taking it off my hands.

What year model? Got a friend bought a 17 diesel he likes so far. But only has 6000 miles

I got all day I’m retired
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide