Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: JavelinJ] #12513684 11/23/17 01:38 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: txfour

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it?

The OP clearly stated the deer followed the dog up. He is not "posessing" anything.

I'm sure the Game Warden is sitting in his yard now, just waiting for him to get home roflmao

Originally Posted By: DedShort
My son's dog befriended a yearling buck and brought him home. Now this guy just hangs around the house. He will eat popcorn and other things out of our hands and let us pet him. I haven't seen the mom around. He has been bedding down in the yard sometimes, and is around for several hours a few times a day. Seems kind of crazy, but its cool too. He has bumps where his antlers will be next year. I kind of hope he stays around.

I guess you didn't read the title of his post? I guess he was being sarcastic? nuts

At what point does it become illegal? I'm not sure....but it sure sounds like he is walking "line"....the GW would be the final judge.

I guess as long as he doesn't put it behind a fence. He's legally okay. Feeding and petting is what I do with my outside cats....and legally I think they are my pets. grin I don't consider them wild anymore...they just wandered up. years ago and never left.

I would have worded the OP post differently....avoid the legal ramifications of a public forum.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: DedShort] #12513686 11/23/17 01:44 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
A few years ago there was a young buck at Beavers Bend in OK. It would come out into the river and nudge you for snacks....you could hardly get a fly cast down cause he was right there on top of you. He wore an blaze orange dog collar. People fed him and he never left. He stuck around each day waiting on fly fisherman and tourist to feed him. I was concerned about him turning into a rutting buck one day. State got smart and got him out of there before it got worse...for the deer and the tourist there.

There was a post in the fly fishing section about it...even pics.

People still wonder where he came from.....someone most likely had him as a pet(illegal) and let him go down there. Like letting the goldfish go at the local lake.

The State offers public hunts in the state park each year due to the poor quality and overpopulation of deer. You can walk up to most of them.....tame as can be. I imagine I could make my traditional bow to work on those deer....point blank hunting. You know why they are there? You know why they stay? You know why they are skinny and sickly?

I heard one person say, "You don't need a corn feeder here to kill one....just rattle a Dorito Bag of Chips!" eeks

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12513805 11/23/17 03:22 PM
Caymas Cx 21 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

The OP clearly stated the deer followed the dog up. He is not "posessing" anything.

I'm sure the Game Warden is sitting in his yard now, just waiting for him to get home roflmao

My son's dog befriended a yearling buck and brought him home. Now this guy just hangs around the house. He will eat popcorn and other things out of our hands and let us pet him. I haven't seen the mom around. He has been bedding down in the yard sometimes, and is around for several hours a few times a day. Seems kind of crazy, but its cool too. He has bumps where his antlers will be next year. I kind of hope he stays around.

I guess you didn't read the title of his post? I guess he was being sarcastic? nuts

At what point does it become illegal? I'm not sure....but it sure sounds like he is walking "line"....the GW would be the final judge.

I guess as long as he doesn't put it behind a fence. He's legally okay. Feeding and petting is what I do with my outside cats....and legally I think they are my pets. grin I don't consider them wild anymore...they just wandered up. years ago and never left.

I would have worded the OP post differently....avoid the legal ramifications of a public forum.

The dog brought him home so he should be should be arrested by the GW then transferee to the pound for his dastardly deed.

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: DedShort] #12513808 11/23/17 03:23 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: kjwolvy] #12513868 11/23/17 03:57 PM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: kjwolvy
Originally Posted By: Icepick
Originally Posted By: Derek roflmao 🐝
Link - Not a Rick Roll this time

You don't have to read for to see.

(That link worked well....so google this "nutrients in dry deer corn" select the first link. PDF from TPWD
I'm laughing at how this thread was about a pet deer and turned into an argument about feeding deer so you can kill them roflmao
That's the self-lighthouse mentality of the guys here.

Yup, and its always the same people who have the one and ONLY true answer for EVERYTHING! roflmao

[Linked Image]

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: bluecatlakerat] #12513948 11/23/17 05:17 PM
SheldonS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: bluecatlakerat
I guess here in a little while right before dark when the deer wander up into my yard i will call the game warden so he can come throw rocks at them and run them off, then write me a ticket for contributing to the starvation of wildlife by feeding them corn

A game warden will come and cite you or give you a warning for keeping a deer as a pet. Feeding one visiting your home is probably not a good idea but that won't get you a ticket.

Game Wardens also read these forums.

https://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/2013/09/24/no-you-cant-keep-a-pet-deer-in-texas/

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/rehab/orphan/

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: DedShort] #12514086 11/23/17 09:25 PM
Caymas Cx 21 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Where did the OP mention he was keeping the deer captive or what did he say to make people think that?

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12514095 11/23/17 09:40 PM
lanman71 Offline
Maroon!
Maroon!

Last edited by lanman71; 11/24/17 05:18 AM. Reason: ..

What a maroon!
Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: DedShort] #12514165 11/23/17 11:16 PM
cob Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Feeding deer in Sun City (Georgetown) is a violation of city ordinance and carries a fine of up to $200. Our community association (read super HOA) is trying to capture 250 with suspended nets over feeders. Those captured will be slaughtered, turned into ground meat and donated to homeless and needy shelters.

Some people go to church and think about fishing. Some go fishing and think about God.
Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: DedShort] #12514498 11/24/17 05:01 AM
M
MrRoachie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
GW can't do anything as long as the deer is not in a pen.

If you keep dog in a fence, put the deer out and if it jumps in it ain't your fault.

God loves you just as much as anybody else!!

Jesus offered His life as a gift for you. Please accept it!
Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: DedShort] #12515119 11/25/17 12:08 AM
SheldonS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Form the most recent GW field notes last week:

Reason #27 to Leave Wildlife Alone
A Titus County game warden responded to a mobile home community where a young white-tailed buck deer reportedly attacked an individual. The deer was well-known in the community after one of its residents had illegally taken possession of it as an abandoned fawn. The well-intentioned person who originally caught the deer could no longer take care of it as a pet so he attached white tags to its ears and released it on a nearby ranch. Absent natural instincts to avoid humans, the deer returned to its home except now with a full set of antlers and raging hormones. The game warden captured the deer, removed the tags from its ears, and relocated it to a high fenced game ranch where, hopefully, it will learn to avoid people.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide