Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) #12512539 11/22/17 02:01 PM
B
beartrap Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
co-angler etiquette thread reminded me of the days when most tournaments were draw tournaments and everybody dreaded it because you had no idea what kind of person you might be paired with....I will say this and that is over the years, I really enjoyed fishing with about 90% of the people I got drawn with and about 10% I didn't enjoy(I hope that 90% would give me a favorable rating)....here's my recollection of the worst partner I ever drew out with(I'm sure his version would be different than mine)....

Back in late 80's FLW put on their first Golden Blend tourny on Eufaula(Al.)...this was predecessor to their FLW series and was designed to compete with BASS...several of the big time BASS pros were there(Clunn,Brauer,Roland Martin) and it was biggest tourny I'd ever fished and with the highest entry fee I had ever paid too....also there was a Bass N Gals tourny the next week and couple of the women were in it and bunch of them on lake practicing.......
It was two day tourny and after first day,I was in about 11-12th place(maybe a little higher)...fishing was a little tough and I think I was within about 4 lbs of the lead....I believe I had 12-15lbs and caught them south right above Pataula Creek where the fish were spawning on a long stretch of sandy bank....
my second day draw was a guy from Alabama who didn't own a boat and when I introduced myself,he immediately told me we needed to go to his fish tomorrow......I asked him how he did today and he said he had 4-5lbs but he had missed some fish and the place was loaded with fish.....
there was something I immediately didn't like or trust about this guy from the get go so I told him I had 15 lbs and had left the fish biting so that's where we needed to go...even told him my partner had done pretty well and we both should have a good limit..tried to get him to tell me where he wanted to fish and how he was fishing and he wouldn't tell me so that made me even more suspicious......
then this guy wants to flip a coin to see where we go first and I really didn't have a choice since the rules said you had to give him half day on his fish(am glad we don't have to deal with this b.s. anymore)...
we flip a coin and he loses...he immediately walks away over to where a few of his buddies are and he's kicking the ground,cussing and almost screaming that he lost the flip and his boater won't go to his fish first.....I'm thinking this is gonna be a disaster tomorrow so decide to walk over and tell him that we would go to his fish first but if it doesn't pan out,we were heading to my fish......this mollifies him somewhat but I'm dreading the next day knowing I had a chance to do well but now I've got to put up with this jerk and no telling what kind of place he wants to fish or even if there's any fish to be caught...

.next morning he gets in boat and still won't tell me where we are going so I tell him,I'm limited on gas and I'm not about to run all my gas out running up the river someplace and not be able to get to my fish which are 15 miles south....he tells me then that we are only going 2-3 miles......as you can imagine,we are barely speaking by this time but we head out when they call our number and head north...he tells me to turn into the witches ditch(one of bigger community holes on lake) and we run to the back.....
I had decided against fishing here in the tournament because it was getting beat to death in practice and I figured you'd get covered up with boats...stop the boat in the back part and I'm surprized to see there's no other boats back here...
before i can say anything, he jumps up front, lowers trolling motor and starts down this grass line and he's got boat up against the grass line where I have limited area to fish so I tell him to get the boat out so I can fish and he does a little better but guy in front has real advantage.....he catches a small fish pretty quick and just as we get to end of grassline,he catches one 3-4lbs...he gets down to put it in livewell and I start running trolling motor.....front deck on my Hydrasport was pretty small and he wants the trolling motor back and I told him no.....we were gonna take turns in the front going up and down this grassline throwing spinnerbaits..he's mad as hell but he gets in the back..
we start working back up the grassline and several boats by now have come back in there so it's starting to get crowded....we get almost to end of grassline and I catch one between 6-7 lbs so he takes the front...we fish about another hour without a bite.......,boats are cutting us off every direction we tried to go...it's probaly 9:30 a.m.,way before his half day was up and I decided I'd had enough of this so I just jumped up there and jerked the trolling motor up and told him to get his jacket on,we were going south...He threw his rod down in boat so hard it damn near bounced over the side....
I told him to keep in mind that he had lost the coin flip and I'd given in to him and if I wasn't a nice guy(that's a stretch),he'd be 20 miles south already....I had way more weight than he did yesterday and this place was too crowded to fish and we were wasting time up here...we were heading south and we could go to my fish or I could stop at Lakepoint and put boat on trailer....his choice....when we passed lakepoint he didn't point to the ramp so I kept going...

we get to my area and I'm fishing a C-rig lizard dragging it across beds you couldn't see and right away I lose a monster bass...this guy is still sitting down pouting and he damn sure didn't grab the net not that it would have helped because fish came off before it got near boat....10-15 minutes go by and I asked him why he wasn't fishing and he said because he didn't have any C-Rig weights or hooks....I give him what he needed and we both start catching keeper fish right away.....

My Hydrasport had large rear livewell and small one in front that wasn't good for anything except killing fish so we were both using the rear livewell and I was punching hole in tails of my fish(with hole punch)....both of us spent rest of day catching fish and culling up and I think I had one big fish and four three pound fish which gave me 18-19lbs and i thought my partner had five 3lb fish...he's got a little more friendly as day wore on.....but that would change..

we get back to weigh-in,start pulling our fish out and he's only got 4 fish.(despite catching at least 2 limits of fish)..first thing he wants to see is my fish and I had to dump them out and let him see the hole in each ones tail..he even comments that I must have punched a hole in tail of one of his fish which was ridiculous and I told him so..he immediately goes back into his "lip stuck out a foot,kicking,cussing mode"..he was younger and bigger than me and he was glaring at me like he was going to start swinging and I reached down and picked up one of my shorter rods about midway up the rod and I was fully prepared to bust his head with a 5500C if he made a move toward me..he finally calmed down and headed toward weigh-in line .

I moved up to 5th place and won $2,500. which was big money back then(and I finished ahead of all the big name pros and I was really proud of that)....He got a check but would have got a much larger one with one more fish.......and no....he did not offer to help pay for gas....

I saw this guy a few times at Redman tournys over the next few years before he disappeared and a guy I knew that fished with him a couple of times in buddy tournaments,came up to me one day and asked me what I thought of the guy I had drawn out with that day....I told him "not much" or words to that effect and he said I can certainly understand why.....He said he couldn't get along with him as a team fishing partner either....

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: beartrap] #12512560 11/22/17 02:18 PM
Okie Poke Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I would've ended up in prison cuz I woulda chaught 'eem.....

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: Okie Poke] #12512665 11/22/17 03:32 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

No you wouldn't. You would've been the nice guy you are and dealt with him like this guy did. wink

Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: beartrap] #12512713 11/22/17 04:07 PM
bigcat85 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
My boat, we are fishing my water. If I run out of water then I will take suggestions. Run my trolling motor? Never. I fish the aba ram opens, have for a while. Only have had one co angler I did not get along with, that was also the only one he fished. I don't fish the aba tour simply because the rules say you have to let the co angler go to his water for half the day. Not going to happen unless he pays that months boat payment, insurance payment, and half the gas and oil I burned pre fishing. That is why I just stay away from that trail.

Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: Ken A.] #12512748 11/22/17 04:34 PM
Okie Poke Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

No you wouldn't. You would've been the nice guy you are and dealt with him like this guy did. wink

Please let me be a keyboard commando.... noidea

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: bigcat85] #12512775 11/22/17 04:50 PM
B
beartrap Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: bigcat85
My boat, we are fishing my water. If I run out of water then I will take suggestions. Run my trolling motor? Never. I fish the aba ram opens, have for a while. Only have had one co angler I did not get along with, that was also the only one he fished. I don't fish the aba tour simply because the rules say you have to let the co angler go to his water for half the day. Not going to happen unless he pays that months boat payment, insurance payment, and half the gas and oil I burned pre fishing. That is why I just stay away from that trail.

didn't have that option....for many years most trails were draw tournaments and most of them had rules that said you had to give the no boater half the day in front of the boat and fishing his water if he asked for it..BFL/Redman was most popular national trail and they didn't have separate weights for co-anglers.....all wieights were together and it was hard to get a check or qualify for the regional when they only took 25 guys...most of us hated draw tournys but we didn't have a choice....buddy or team tournaments didn't become popular until mid 80's...somebody figured out the way to stop cheating was to give polygraphs and team trails then became more popular than draw tournys...

Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: beartrap] #12512798 11/22/17 05:09 PM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I remember the flip a coin Redman days.

Thanks, Billy
Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: bigcat85] #12512831 11/22/17 05:31 PM
C
coachmas Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C

Ive fished ABA on the co-side for many years. I dont remember a rule about fishing 1/2 day on non-boaters water? Now there was a time when there were not enough co-anglers and boaters had to pair up. Maybe that is what you are referring to, but that went away a few years ago. Boaters go out solo now if co-angler numbers are smaller.

Ive fished with a few boaters that I wish would have asked where I wanted to try or if I had any fish located. But I certainly dont offer or make suggestions from the back of the boat.

On Day 1, I did have a boater ask me 10 min before takeoff , (Ram Open 2-day ) if I had anywhere I wanted to start. It startled me a bit. I asked if he knew how to run north and he replied he wasnt familiar with that part of the lake. We ended up fishing 2 spots on the Main lake I had caught some fish a couple weeks before. It was good for 3 keepers. On the way to his spot , I told him to pull over to try 2 docks I do pretty good on. He noses up to the first one and makes 2 casts catching a keeper. To which I said, you could at least turn the boat where I can cast at the dock I told you held fish. Only time Ive ever said anything crossways to a boater. I have drawn good guys and had good experiences as a co-angler 99% of the time.

I didnt make it back to weighin on Pines one tourney. We were WAAAAYYY up the river and I asked the boater several times how long it was going to take. I was sitting down with life jacket on for 15 min waiting on him to stop fishing and head back. Weighin was 3:15. We didnt make it back to the 155 bridge until after 3. Just poor planning. Ive drawn the same guy 2 more times over the years and cashed a check both times!!!

Coach

Wishin I was Fishin!!!

Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: beartrap] #12512855 11/22/17 05:46 PM
Gingerbread Man Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I also remember the coin flip days of draw tournaments and I never understood why a guy, who is not on fish, always insisted that we go to his fish first. If I wasn't on fish at all, or even check cashing fish...I told them and had no problem going to their fish...but some guys just want to be in charge...even if it is officially only for half a day...they try to push it to the entire day.

Thankfully I didn't have anyone act like the guy you fished with in any of my draw tournaments...but more recently I have had some co-anglers that I would have liked to have thrown out of the boat...complain about everything possible...the boat (new z520), the weather...like I can do something about that, the slow day of fishing, missing a fish, hating the lake, catching non-keepers, etc. I've fished tournaments from both ends of the boat and always tried to be considerate when I was a co-angler...but a few of the ones I had recently were pretty tough to deal with for an entire day of fishing.

Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: beartrap] #12512881 11/22/17 06:08 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Crazy story.

Never understood why you'd ruin a good day of peaceful fishing by putting money on the line for it.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: beartrap] #12512886 11/22/17 06:13 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
I fished a tourney at squaw with fish killer. By far the worst. Not even a close second.

Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: beartrap] #12512918 11/22/17 06:51 PM
David Welcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Was he in front? I bet it's kind of hard to fish around him.

Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: beartrap] #12512920 11/22/17 06:51 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I have had some good ones, cos and boaters, but for the most part they have all been alot of fun. Last year a guy threatened to kick my arse when we got back. Did not like how close I was fishing in a BFL.

we had some words he sat down and did not fish. I was spun out though as I was not doing very well, never located any groups of fish, and a little upset on the event that transpired. Oh well.

Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: coachmas] #12512930 11/22/17 06:58 PM
O
One fish Bill Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: coachmas

Ive fished ABA on the co-side for many years. I dont remember a rule about fishing 1/2 day on non-boaters water? Now there was a time when there were not enough co-anglers and boaters had to pair up. Maybe that is what you are referring to, but that went away a few years ago. Boaters go out solo now if co-angler numbers are smaller.

Ive fished with a few boaters that I wish would have asked where I wanted to try or if I had any fish located. But I certainly dont offer or make suggestions from the back of the boat.

On Day 1, I did have a boater ask me 10 min before takeoff , (Ram Open 2-day ) if I had anywhere I wanted to start. It startled me a bit. I asked if he knew how to run north and he replied he wasnt familiar with that part of the lake. We ended up fishing 2 spots on the Main lake I had caught some fish a couple weeks before. It was good for 3 keepers. On the way to his spot , I told him to pull over to try 2 docks I do pretty good on. He noses up to the first one and makes 2 casts catching a keeper. To which I said, you could at least turn the boat where I can cast at the dock I told you held fish. Only time Ive ever said anything crossways to a boater. I have drawn good guys and had good experiences as a co-angler 99% of the time.

I didnt make it back to weighin on Pines one tourney. We were WAAAAYYY up the river and I asked the boater several times how long it was going to take. I was sitting down with life jacket on for 15 min waiting on him to stop fishing and head back. Weighin was 3:15. We didnt make it back to the 155 bridge until after 3. Just poor planning. Ive drawn the same guy 2 more times over the years and cashed a check both times!!!

Coach

Here's the rule for the DRAW TRAIL, looks like they took the rule out for giving up the TM for half the day but left the sharing water. There used to be a rule where CO's could not give up their boaters spots to other boaters in the two day events also. I don't know if that is still in effect.

15. BOAT OPERATION: Any competitor answering yes to the question: "Will you enter as a boater?" will be expected to make that boat available for the tournament. Partners must discuss sharing time for his/her selected waters prior to ooze-off. Each partner is entitled to an equal number of hours to fish his/her selected waters during divisional and national qualifying events. Any contestant who, in the judgment of the tournament director, operates the boat in such a manner as to unfairly handicap their partner shall be disqualified. It is the responsibility of the non-boater to reimburse the boater in an amount mutually agreed. It is suggested that reimbursement be of fuel cost to defray daily expenses. Non-boater not paying their share as prescribed here and at the time of the event shall be cause for being disqualified and/or may also result in entries not being accepted into future American Bass Anglers events

Last edited by One fish Bill; 11/22/17 07:16 PM.
Re: worst tournament partner you ever drew (long read) [Re: beartrap] #12512938 11/22/17 07:05 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I pulled it up for the Ram truck series Pro Am.

15. BOAT OPERATION AND EXPENSE: This is a boater/co-angler event therefore boaters will fish from the front deck, co-anglers from the rear deck, no exceptions. Co-anglers are only allowed to operate the boat in emergency situations during competition hours and during loading and unloading from trailers. Any boater, who, in the judgment of the officials, operates the boat in such a manner that unfairly handicaps their co-angler partner, will be disqualified. At no time may the boater competitor request the co-angler competitor to not fish. Co-angler partners are required to share at a minimum one half the cost of gas and oil or $50.00, whichever is less.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide