Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: DedShort] #12511601 11/21/17 06:30 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
How google news is made popcorn2 peep

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12511603 11/21/17 06:30 PM
A
angler management Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Google it instead of arguing with me. I didn't make it up. LOL!

My deer and hogs are hooked on my corn this year....acorn loaded woods and they want my corn. Even the 12 squirrels wanted in the action Saturday. One was even spinning the corn to the ones below.

You have seen the signs that say "Don't feed the bears!"....you do know why they have those signs? Because the bears rely on humans and stop hunting their own food. Then they end up in your dumpster each night with the raccoons.

Do you even hunt? Or just here to argue?

The exact opposite occurs at my deer lease. We feed corn and protein and from the time the acorns hit the ground until they start rotting they won't hardly touch the corn and eat less protein as well.

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: DedShort] #12511634 11/21/17 07:00 PM
L
leethefishking Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
An acorn is a t bone steak to a deer. Corn fed or not they will fight over acorns. No way you could hand feed that trait out of them.

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: JavelinJ] #12511646 11/21/17 07:12 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: txfour
Originally Posted By: 21xs Elite
Originally Posted By: SheldonS
I believe you need to call the Game Warden.

For what? He's got poachers and road Hunters to catch, that deer will be around for a little while then move on.

Im not saying call the game warden, but I wouldnt be so sure he'll be gone next year either.

A buddy of mine had the same thing happen to him. One orphan showed up years ago. No they have 10 deer in their yard like dogs. Crapping all over the place. And yes, he leaves the gate open so they can come and go.

He's not kind of a crazy guy from around Nocona is he? I know of a guy similar thing happened to, when little buck wondered up he kind of took it under his wing, he'd even let it walk around in his house, now he's a big buck, has a bunch of offspring, they all come and go as they please. Kind of neat though seeing a bunch of deer around where you used to not see but one every few years.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: angler management] #12512479 11/22/17 12:58 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: angler management
Google it instead of arguing with me. I didn't make it up. LOL!

My deer and hogs are hooked on my corn this year....acorn loaded woods and they want my corn. Even the 12 squirrels wanted in the action Saturday. One was even spinning the corn to the ones below.

You have seen the signs that say "Don't feed the bears!"....you do know why they have those signs? Because the bears rely on humans and stop hunting their own food. Then they end up in your dumpster each night with the raccoons.

Do you even hunt? Or just here to argue?

The exact opposite occurs at my deer lease. We feed corn and protein and from the time the acorns hit the ground until they start rotting they won't hardly touch the corn and eat less protein as well.

Every year this has happened except this year....bumper crops of acorns and yet the feeders are getting most the action. I laughed and said the corn companies must have put crack in the corn this year.....cause they sure want it more than acorns. I got over 600 pics on my feeder in less than 2 weeks. It was like a buffet at Golden Corral.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: leethefishking] #12512482 11/22/17 01:00 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: leethefishking
An acorn is a t bone steak to a deer. Corn fed or not they will fight over acorns. No way you could hand feed that trait out of them.

Have you ever visited a Golden Coral buffet on Sunday afternoon after church?

Humans sure know where the easy meal is....why wouldn't deer?

Dump a pile of corn and they can eat and not search for anything......or walk miles to gather food here and there....you decide which seems easier. Deer and animals are just like us.....less energy exerted to eat the better. Calorie conservation!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: JavelinJ] #12512500 11/22/17 01:24 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B

No, the "don't feed the bears" sign is to protect us, not the bears you numbskull.

The reason they don't want you feeding them is because they associate humans with food and become less scared of them. Then all the sudden when your out in the woods and don't have a pizaa to feed mr. bear, he's pizzed and eats you.

You are correct....we all know that about the bears...but it's not the ONLY reason not to feed wild animals.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Professional-Trapper/feed-wildlife.html

http://community.lovenature.com/wild/whatever-you-do-please-dont-feed-the-wildlife

The OP was about someone getting a deer as a pet.....first off, it's highly illegal to posses a wild deer. Then to feed it popcorn....its getting Dumb and Dumber. I wouldn't be surprised if the GW isn't watching this post. peep bolt

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: DedShort] #12512819 11/22/17 05:24 PM
D
DedShort Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
There are so many acorns in my yard that I doubt the occasional handful of popcorn is going to hurt him. I also have carrots and strawberries. There is also a corn feeder 100 yards from the house. I find it hard to see how a handful of popcorn is much different than a feeder. He has plenty of forage around here, and we aren't feeding him enough to keep him from being able to forage. Also, he comes and goes as he pleases. He left yesterday morning wit a group of 6 other deer and cam back in the afternoon.

"Liberty is always dangerous, but it is the safest thing we have." - Harry Emerson Fosdick

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12512838 11/22/17 05:35 PM
JavelinJ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

No, the "don't feed the bears" sign is to protect us, not the bears you numbskull.

The reason they don't want you feeding them is because they associate humans with food and become less scared of them. Then all the sudden when your out in the woods and don't have a pizaa to feed mr. bear, he's pizzed and eats you.

You are correct....we all know that about the bears...but it's not the ONLY reason not to feed wild animals.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Professional-Trapper/feed-wildlife.html

http://community.lovenature.com/wild/whatever-you-do-please-dont-feed-the-wildlife

The OP was about someone getting a deer as a pet.....first off, it's highly illegal to posses a wild deer. Then to feed it popcorn....its getting Dumb and Dumber. I wouldn't be surprised if the GW isn't watching this post. peep bolt

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it?

The OP clearly stated the deer followed the dog up. He is not "posessing" anything.

I'm sure the Game Warden is sitting in his yard now, just waiting for him to get home roflmao

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: DedShort] #12513125 11/22/17 10:18 PM
B
bluecatlakerat Offline
Angler
Angler
B
As long as the op doesnt have it contained in a high fence the game warden does not care, there is not anything illegal about feeding deer popcorn, strawberries, carrots or anything else trust me i have first hand experience with this

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: DedShort] #12513141 11/22/17 10:32 PM
B
bluecatlakerat Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I guess here in a little while right before dark when the deer wander up into my yard i will call the game warden so he can come throw rocks at them and run them off, then write me a ticket for contributing to the starvation of wildlife by feeding them corn

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: DedShort] #12513143 11/22/17 10:32 PM
Westside. Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: Icepick] #12513149 11/22/17 10:35 PM
K
kjwolvy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
K
Originally Posted By: Icepick
Originally Posted By: Derek 🐝
Link - Not a Rick Roll this time

You don't have to read for to see.

(That link worked well....so google this "nutrients in dry deer corn" select the first link. PDF from TPWD
I'm laughing at how this thread was about a pet deer and turned into an argument about feeding deer so you can kill them roflmao
That's the self-lighthouse mentality of the guys here.

Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: Bass&More] #12513164 11/22/17 10:53 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted By: Bass&More
How google news is made popcorn2 peep

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: I guess we now have a pet deer [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12513175 11/22/17 10:59 PM
Caymas Cx 21 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 21xs Elite
Originally Posted By: SheldonS
I believe you need to call the Game Warden.

For what? He's got poachers and road Hunters to catch, that deer will be around for a little while then move on.

Deer won't be able to find popcorn as a food source and will starve to death. I am hearing how bad corn feeders are....deer rely on this source of food, but it does not have any nutritional value.....and they forget to forage for food they need.

I turned out 25 bucks out of a pen in September and they sure seem to doing well in the pasture, actually do it every year and they stay alive. Never had any die of starvation and they would be the ones Id worry couldnt make it in the pasture .
But I do have some does here at the house that really like salty roasted peanuts!!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide