Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Wives and Winter Catfishing #12511352 11/21/17 03:13 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
My wife has never been interested in winter fishing until this year. She could never understand why I love fishing in the cold. I had 19 ft skeeter bass boat that I fished out of for many years and she hated riding in that boat no matter what time of year. When I bought my bay boat last February her eyes lit up(which was surprising) and she wanted me to take her fishing. I picked a warm day and let her reel in all the Fish. She landed a 44, 30, a couple of 20s, and some 15s , and a 40lb flathead which is a heck of a day for my boat. Her catching those big fish helped her understand why I love fishing so much. She fished with me a lot this summer and loves catching big fish. I have really enjoyed watching her catching fish and spending time on the water with together. Now that cold weather fishing is upon us I have been scrambling to get her geared up for fishing in the cold. I know not take her into the rollers and when the weather is nasty but what are some of you guys experiences and pitfalls when taking your wives winter catfishing?? texas

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12511430 11/21/17 04:07 PM
B
BADLANDER Offline
Angler
Angler
B

and a bucket of course..

Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12511437 11/21/17 04:15 PM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I've got a small video coming up on my channel of the wife and I catfishin. Over all I've learn if I get her a good breakfast and make sure she's bundled up and plenty of hand warmers and chapstick then she is a happy camper. We had fun Sunday even though we didn't get into the cats like we usually do. Also don't sink the boat..lol!!.. About 8 or so years ago she got me a small bass boat and the next day we sunk it with 3 and 4 foot rollers. Actually it didn't sink. the motor caught a sandbar took a nosedive and started taking on water...Luckily there was a big boat nearby and saved us. before you know it the waves flipped the boat upside down..anyways it took me awhile to get her back out on the water and from then on I would check the weather and wind religiously. Since then everytime we go out we have a blast now catching the big blues is the bonus. Hope this helps... thumb...haha and yes the bucket!!!! hammer

Last edited by serj5150; 11/21/17 04:18 PM.

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12511649 11/21/17 07:14 PM
E
ETX_Chad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E

1. Make sure she is warm. Pay attention to what she puts on. Not everyone realizes how much colder it is on the water. Those of us that spend a lot of time on the water know that you can't have enough layers.
2. Remember that she cares less about the fish and more about spending time with you... Honestly, she doesn't care that much if you catch big fish, just that you are together. So, don't chance the "rollers" to get to the best spot. Tuck in a cove and have fun with your wife. If you want to catch the lake record in 4ft chop call me... not your wife.
3. Know when to leave. When you see that she's had "enough" it's time to go home. Even if you haven't caught fish yet. See rule 2.

Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12511834 11/21/17 09:55 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Always no matter what have a "P" bucket on board. Unless it's summer time and the water is warm.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12511871 11/21/17 10:27 PM
S
ssfireman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
pm sent

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12511941 11/21/17 11:55 PM
L
Littlefeather Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Noooo! She can't have my Winter seat!

Seriously, Before I started guiding the bays, Debbie fished with me all the time. Once I was guiding she rarely got to go anymore due to clients booked. So, when I started running a third boat for Offshore trips I put her on the payroll as deckhand, master baiter, deck washer, etc. She was happy again although she didn't appreciate not being able to reel in clients fish. Then one day it happened!!! Had a little girly boy on the vessel that couldn't quit puking. Puked all day even though I tried to take him in. He refused until he turned and sprayed Debbie. We immediately headed for the beach. That ended her desire to go any longer. Now we are inland but she doesn't have near the desire to fish lakes so I almost always fish solo. Sure made my job easier!!!

Some gear for girls:
1} Paper towels. Toilet paper
2] A toilet lid stowed below deck accompanied by a bucket.
3 A thick sleeping bag stowed. I can't tell you how many trips that saved. Once chilled they want to head to
dock. A warm sleeping bag saves the day.
4} Frog Togs as a top coat for warmth, wind, and spray.
5} Warm fuzzy water proof booties.
6} Water proof gloves and a good warm head wear.

I'll think of more but that's a start. Debbie sits by the wood stove now when I winter fish so my boat probably will weigh less than yours come Feburary. LOL!

Those who dance are considered mad by those who cannot hear the music.
Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12512473 11/22/17 12:47 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Holy smokes! Roman D climbed out of his duck blind to talk some catfishing! Thanks Gentlemen! cheers I appreciate everyones input! I made sure to get her gear that is comparable to what I use so I know she will stay warm and dry. I bought a toilet seat that attaches to a 5g bucket and I ordered a portable propane heater just in case. Phone charger, check. And to my fishing buddies who are worried my wife is going to take their seat this winter, Alana hates wind, rain and rollers which is when I do my best work! Now if my 2 yr old boy will cooperate and quit getting sick every other week, maybe I can find some time to fish! Its go time!!!!!!! texas

Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12512494 11/22/17 01:16 PM
L
Littlefeather Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Dang I'm glad to hear you are saving me the rainy, windy, roller days! I thought I'd been fired! At least I know you are a good friend! Lol! She's better looking than me so I'm not going to sulk too long. I do like that you got me a heater! Temps are looking better and better! 34 here this morn.. banana

Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12512523 11/22/17 01:43 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
LMAO! You know I usually dont take my boat off the trailer in the winter unless the weather is terrible Curtis. I figured I might get a few extra trips in since my wife will only go to the lake when the weather is good and the fishing is tough! I knew youd be excited that I got u a heater! Your going to need it after throwing the deep net in the rollers Amigo! Just dont catch your frog togs on fire, those things are flammable !! flame

Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12512543 11/22/17 02:07 PM
L
Littlefeather Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Note to self: bring seatbelt, dry towels, a young guy to throw that dang heavy net, and a fire extinguisher. Good to go! coolio

Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12512718 11/22/17 04:10 PM
B
BrianTx01 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I never take my wife fishing...that is probably why we stayed married.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2001
Proud UNT Alumni
Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: BrianTx01] #12512791 11/22/17 05:05 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: BrianTx01
I never take my wife fishing...that is probably why we stayed married.

LOL! I get that Brian! I get a kick out of watching mine catch fish especially when its a biggun. We always have a good time even when the fish dont cooperate. Getting a center console boat has made all the difference though. She flat out wouldnt go on my bass boat. Cold weather fishing is another ball game though so we will see how it goes...

Re: Wives and Winter Catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12513526 11/23/17 04:01 AM
F
forsanmedic Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Understand the new boat making a difference. Mine wouldn't go out on cold days when we had the tracker mod v. One day on Cedar Creek in 40 degree temps and 15 mph winds broke her of that. When it came time to trade boats, she told me she only had 2 requirements, a full windshield and a radio. Now that we have the G3 v bottom with full windshield, she will go out on cool days again. Now I'm not gonna lie, it's below freezing and wind blowing hard, I'm not going out then either. Cold weather hurts my joints the older I get. Lots of winter days around here that meet the criteria for her to go. Yes, lots of warm clothes (have her check out the flannel lined pants at Bass Pro, my wife loves them in cold weather), fully charged phone battery and charger for said phone, porta-potty, and old rock and roll music on the radio.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide