Page 1 of 2 1 2
Co-Angler Etiquette #12510967 11/21/17 02:43 AM
D
DinkerPlinker Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Today was talking with a friend about fishing as a co angler in a tournament. We’re both pretty new to the tournament scene, so I’m wondering what kind of etticute or what things we need to make sure to do or not do when fishing as a co-angler. Any advice is appreciated! Also figured this might could help some other people wondering the same thing. Thanks all

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12511004 11/21/17 03:30 AM
Danny L. Weems Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
There have been several threads on this in the past with some really good information, you may be able to do a search and find them. I fished FLW Costa series southwestern division for 2 years as a co and just finished my first full season as a boater so I've seen both sides.
As a co I had about 50% of the boaters that were very good fishermen and I learned something from each of them. As a co you have to be able to adapt and figure out a way to catch fish no matter the situation.
I got along with all of the boaters that I drew and made life long friends with some.
My advice would be to go into the tournaments to have fun and learn a few things, if you catch fish and end up getting a check then that's a bonus.
Have a good attitude.
Respect the boat you fish in.
Do not use dip and dye. The pens work just as good and there is no chance of spilling.
If you don't know how to back a trailer or don't feel comfortable just let your boater know. He would rather you tell him instead of backing up the line while you take 10 attempts at getting him put in or tearing the fenders off his trailer when parking.
Respect your boaters water. Don't cast forward of the console unless your boaters says so.
Remember that they paid a higher entry fee and put in the time and effort to locate fish and formulate a game plan for tournament day. This is not a guided trip, most are not concerned with you catching fish. With that being said I had plenty of boaters that went out of their way to get me fish but I never expected it.
Know how to net fish.
Try not to use lures that are bad about getting hung up. Don't expect your boater to go get your lure unhung all day. I would ask a couple times and then I would just break off if I got hung again unless it was really quick and easy to get undone. Again most boaters don't mind unless it gets extreme.
Clean your trash up out of the boat.
Offer to help wipe down the boat or put cover on.
Offer gas money at the end of the day. $40 is what I normally gave although some wouldn't take it.
Other than that just use common sense and above all have a good time.

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #12511043 11/21/17 03:59 AM
B
bjankowski Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
There have been several threads on this in the past with some really good information, you may be able to do a search and find them. I fished FLW Costa series southwestern division for 2 years as a co and just finished my first full season as a boater so I've seen both sides.
As a co I had about 50% of the boaters that were very good fishermen and I learned something from each of them. As a co you have to be able to adapt and figure out a way to catch fish no matter the situation.
I got along with all of the boaters that I drew and made life long friends with some.
My advice would be to go into the tournaments to have fun and learn a few things, if you catch fish and end up getting a check then that's a bonus.
Have a good attitude.
Respect the boat you fish in.
Do not use dip and dye. The pens work just as good and there is no chance of spilling.
If you don't know how to back a trailer or don't feel comfortable just let your boater know. He would rather you tell him instead of backing up the line while you take 10 attempts at getting him put in or tearing the fenders off his trailer when parking.
Respect your boaters water. Don't cast forward of the console unless your boaters says so.
Remember that they paid a higher entry fee and put in the time and effort to locate fish and formulate a game plan for tournament day. This is not a guided trip, most are not concerned with you catching fish. With that being said I had plenty of boaters that went out of their way to get me fish but I never expected it.
Know how to net fish.
Try not to use lures that are bad about getting hung up. Don't expect your boater to go get your lure unhung all day. I would ask a couple times and then I would just break off if I got hung again unless it was really quick and easy to get undone. Again most boaters don't mind unless it gets extreme.
Clean your trash up out of the boat.
Offer to help wipe down the boat or put cover on.
Offer gas money at the end of the day. $40 is what I normally gave although some wouldn't take it.
Other than that just use common sense and above all have a good time.

Good answer, just act like you're in their living room and ask to share expenses. I've been blessed over the years to fish a lot team tournament and fished like we were a team, regardless if we were in their boat or mine. One point to ponder is never cast to the back, no one likes to back up to get you out of the stump you just got hung up in.

Last edited by bjankowski; 11/21/17 04:02 AM.

Duckett
Nitro
Mercury
Motorguide
www.jankcustomknives
Ro.8:1

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12511056 11/21/17 04:08 AM
T
TinRangerJim Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
T
Travel light! By this, I mean don't take every rod/reel you own, two or three tackle bags, and a 40-quart cooler! Take four or five (max) rod/reel set-ups (some tournament trails put a limit on this, check the rules on what a co-angler can bring), and only enough lures/tackle to fill two or three 3600 size Plano boxes. Concentrate on soft plastics, since you may end up dragging a T-rig, dropshot, Senko or jig most of the day. You can also bring a few crankbaits (I use mostly squarebills or lipless rattle baits) and a couple of spinnerbaits in Zip-Loc bags. These will fit nicely into a medium-sized backpack along with your rain gear, snacks, and a couple of bottles of water. Bring scissors, line clippers and long-nose pliers along, don't count on borrowing that stuff from your boater all day long.
Don't step on the seats!
If you smoke, ask for permission before you light up. A lot of boaters will not allow smoking in the boat. And if you chew, bring a spit bottle. Boaters do not appreciate tobacco juice all along the side of the boat!
Like Danny said, don't trash the boat! Take a plastic grocery bag along to put your torn-up plastics, line ends, food wrappers and drink bottles in, and take it out of the boat at the end of the day.

"Rip Some Lips"
Nevadan by birth, Texan by choice
Retired USAF, 1966-1989
Jim C.
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12511137 11/21/17 11:07 AM
S
SoCal Tom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Danny covered most everything really well. I fish ABA as a Co and most of the guys I have drawn were great. Treat their boat BETTER than if it was your own. Be organized. Talk with them the night before and have an idea what you will be doing the next day and bring tackle and rods to fit the situation. Bring gas money! Offer to buy the ice in the morning! If you can back a trailer, let them know you can, but don't get offended if they want to do it themselves. When they say "we're going to move" get your line out, life jacket on and gear stowed. Don't make them wait on you. Talk about netting procedures before you start. There will be some sitting around time before start normally. Use that time productively and get to know your guy a bit. Hold your tongue. I have been with guys that flat out don't give you much room. It's going to happen. If you casually mention something early and get zero response, hunker down and prepare yourself for a long day. Do what you can to try and make a productive cast and take advantage of it when you do. Say thank you at the end of the day.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12511156 11/21/17 11:46 AM
D
DBFishing83 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
sounds like fun if you get a good boater
sounds like a nightmare if you get an A$$

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DBFishing83] #12511182 11/21/17 12:34 PM
S
SoCal Tom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: flukeman83
sounds like fun if you get a good boater
sounds like a nightmare if you get an A$$

The A$$'s are few and far between. It can be frustrating when your boater is catching them and you aren't. I've been lucky to see it the opposite way as well, where I was catching them and they were not. Once in a while you get the rare day when you both are on them and it's a blast. It's very different from a team tournament, but fun anyways.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12511242 11/21/17 01:46 PM
D
DBFishing83 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Can someone explain the sign up procedure for a co-angler ?

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12511318 11/21/17 02:42 PM
C
coachmas Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
^^^ depends on what circuit, but with most you can find a boater to link with which will guarantee your spot in the field. By that I mean, if more co-anglers sign up than boaters then some co-anglers don’t get to fish.

Also, try to do a search on here. There have been many good threads related to the subject. I’ve fished as a co-angler for many years even after I got my own boat and will probably continue to do so in the future. Fill free to shoot me a pm if you have any specific questions. I’ve fished co-angler one ABA east and southeast many years and been blessed to get to fish a couple times in Alabama and South Carolina in the championships. Coach

Wishin I was Fishin!!!

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12511344 11/21/17 03:03 PM
PEDRO H. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Here’s a good write up my partner did.
I believe He was a two time AOY as a co-angler in the BASS weekend series trail.
Enjoy,
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3823043/1

Pete B. Hernandez
Matthew 4:19

www.funnsunboats.com
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12511366 11/21/17 03:23 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Keep your feet off the Top Cap of the boat. It leaves scratches.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: Donald Harper] #12511385 11/21/17 03:38 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Keep your feet off the Top Cap of the boat. It leaves scratches.

Now if only I could get my dogs to do that.... cyclop

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12511453 11/21/17 04:23 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12511559 11/21/17 05:54 PM
Phoenix_Ed Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
All good stuff, I have miscellaneous random comments.

I fished the last two years as a co in the BFL Cowboy division, had a great group of boaters. I am going boater this year primarily due to health reasons with my back, I need to control how the boat runs, got the hell beat out of me a couple of times, dealt with it but I cannot do that anymore.

Like others said, break it off, I went to lead weights instead of tungsten while fishing as a co, fished primarily plastics. Keep hooks and weights handy. I generally went with 5 rods, took 6 a couple of times if I had a spinning rod. I used a bag that held 4 3700 boxes, fit under my legs, brought a bag with rain gear, snacks, water etc that fit in a rear compartment. Was told by my first two they were impressed with my organization. I basically thought about the things that aggravated me with someone else in my boat and tried to not be that guy. Always gave my guys $40, some would argue, I argued back!

Look for things you have confidence in, at times it will fit with what your boater is doing, other times you will have to adapt. Throw a fluke.

When you come in to weigh fish, you be the one to jump out of the boat and stand in line to get a weigh in bag. Have a good time and thank your boater at the end of the day.

And one other thing, it is etiquette. Sorry it is one of those things.

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12511864 11/21/17 10:20 PM
M. Alexander Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: DinkerPlinker
Today was talking with a friend about fishing as a co angler in a tournament. We’re both pretty new to the tournament scene, so I’m wondering what kind of etticute or what things we need to make sure to do or not do when fishing as a co-angler. Any advice is appreciated! Also figured this might could help some other people wondering the same thing. Thanks all

Etiquette* grin

Last edited by M. Alexander; 11/21/17 10:22 PM.

Mark
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide