Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12511981 11/22/17 12:18 AM
DEFMP Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Most important piece of advice, learn how to back a trailer down the ramp, and park the truck and trailer.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: M. Alexander] #12511998 11/22/17 12:27 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: M. Alexander
Originally Posted By: DinkerPlinker
Today was talking with a friend about fishing as a co angler in a tournament. Were both pretty new to the tournament scene, so Im wondering what kind of etticute or what things we need to make sure to do or not do when fishing as a co-angler. Any advice is appreciated! Also figured this might could help some other people wondering the same thing. Thanks all

Etiquette* grin

Ediquitit already.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12512406 11/22/17 09:29 AM
G
gut hooked Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
Good work boys....everyone played nice in the sandbox on this one. All posts are well written and informative....

My add is manage the rods well. Leave rod sleeves in the truck. When it is time to move, do the tripple rap move with the line on rods to avoid tangling of lines.

Bring a back up reel or 2. Alternatively, order a few extra spools for your favorite reels, spool w line, and keep in back pack to avoid losing a rod due to a bad backlash. I have backups for my citicas o e spooled w 15 lb flouro and 1 w braid

Also, bring cull clips and remember your life jacket.

I had a guy show up without a pfd and asked if i had one.....ooops

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12512420 11/22/17 11:00 AM
S
SoCal Tom Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
All great tips. The only thing I rely on my boater for is a measuring board and a net

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12512499 11/22/17 01:24 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12512573 11/22/17 02:23 PM
T
texasbass1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
As a boater, please don't wear boots with deep tread. You will track sand and dirt in then grind it into the carpet. Or if you do at least rinse them off before tracking through the boat. The other advice is great.

Pat Leach
USAF MSgt Retired
92 Procraft 180 Pro
24 Mercury 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
Minn Kota Ulterra 80
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12512616 11/22/17 02:53 PM
stringwise Offline
Angler
Angler
I captain for a HS fishing team. There is a huge difference between kids I captain for each weekend.

The good ones:

Help uncover and launch the boat.
Bring their own food/drinks
Don't toss pliers around after getting out a hook
Don't put their boots/shoes on the shiny parts of the boat
Don't track dirt and mud into the boat
Don't slam the rod lockers
Don't [censored] on the boat
Don't get snagged every cast on their bottom/crank style baits
Offer to wipe the boat down
Offer gas money
Offer to cover the boat

The bad ones find a way to miss several or many of the above.

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12512644 11/22/17 03:13 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
When taking a dump off the back of boat make sure it clears splash well. In the event it doesn't deal with it. If not you risk it getting washed on the back deck in rough conditions.

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: M. Alexander] #12512655 11/22/17 03:23 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: M. Alexander
Originally Posted By: DinkerPlinker
Today was talking with a friend about fishing as a co angler in a tournament. Were both pretty new to the tournament scene, so Im wondering what kind of etticute or what things we need to make sure to do or not do when fishing as a co-angler. Any advice is appreciated! Also figured this might could help some other people wondering the same thing. Thanks all

Etiquette* grin

Thank You! I was wundering when someone was gonna say sumpthin about the speling!

thumb roflmao

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: bjankowski] #12512658 11/22/17 03:25 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: bjankowski
Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
There have been several threads on this in the past with some really good information, you may be able to do a search and find them. I fished FLW Costa series southwestern division for 2 years as a co and just finished my first full season as a boater so I've seen both sides.
As a co I had about 50% of the boaters that were very good fishermen and I learned something from each of them. As a co you have to be able to adapt and figure out a way to catch fish no matter the situation.
I got along with all of the boaters that I drew and made life long friends with some.
My advice would be to go into the tournaments to have fun and learn a few things, if you catch fish and end up getting a check then that's a bonus.
Have a good attitude.
Respect the boat you fish in.
Do not use dip and dye. The pens work just as good and there is no chance of spilling.
If you don't know how to back a trailer or don't feel comfortable just let your boater know. He would rather you tell him instead of backing up the line while you take 10 attempts at getting him put in or tearing the fenders off his trailer when parking.
Respect your boaters water. Don't cast forward of the console unless your boaters says so.
Remember that they paid a higher entry fee and put in the time and effort to locate fish and formulate a game plan for tournament day. This is not a guided trip, most are not concerned with you catching fish. With that being said I had plenty of boaters that went out of their way to get me fish but I never expected it.
Know how to net fish.
Try not to use lures that are bad about getting hung up. Don't expect your boater to go get your lure unhung all day. I would ask a couple times and then I would just break off if I got hung again unless it was really quick and easy to get undone. Again most boaters don't mind unless it gets extreme.
Clean your trash up out of the boat.
Offer to help wipe down the boat or put cover on.
Offer gas money at the end of the day. $40 is what I normally gave although some wouldn't take it.
Other than that just use common sense and above all have a good time.

Good answer, just act like you're in their living room and ask to share expenses. I've been blessed over the years to fish a lot team tournament and fished like we were a team, regardless if we were in their boat or mine. One point to ponder is never cast to the back, no one likes to back up to get you out of the stump you just got hung up in.

+10

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DEFMP] #12512659 11/22/17 03:26 PM
BMCD Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: DEFMP
Most important piece of advice, learn how to back a trailer down the ramp, and park the truck and trailer.

Good advice or be willing to tell your boater your not comfortable backing it down. as a Boater I always ask now. Not worth having to pay for damage later down the road.

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: BMCD] #12512666 11/22/17 03:32 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted By: BMCD
Originally Posted By: DEFMP

Good advice or be willing to tell your boater your not comfortable backing it down. as a Boater I always ask now. Not worth having to pay for damage later down the road.

Not to single out co anglers half the boaters can't seem to carry out this task either.

Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: DinkerPlinker] #12514518 11/24/17 06:22 AM
C
CPATTERSON Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Im new to the Tournament side of fishing....
I have a good buddy I fish with in his boat.
Here is what I have learned:
1st) My Dad has taught me from day one, Boats don't run on "Thank You". If you're out on another guys boat, you get the gas.
I make it a point, if we stop to fill up, I get to the pump first and slide my card.

Pay Attention. I will usually watch what my boater is doing. If he's throwing a certain color, I'll go with a different color. Or, I'll use a different technique. It has helped figure out patterns.

Treat his boat as I do my own... Keep track of your trash and your gear. Nobody likes clutter.

When nature calls, let him know you've gotta urinate... he will tell you go off the back. DO NOT urinate ON HIS BOAT OR MOTOR!! (I couldn't tell you how many times I've trailered my boat went to wipe it down and had dried yellow urine dribbles on the back!!)
Speaking of wiping down, help him wipe his boat down after.

Respect his space... My guy is good about inviting me up front. NEVER assume its ok and hop up there.

MOST IMPORTANT: RESPECT!!
Your boater more than likely will take you to "Secret Spots"... If you own your own boat, remember those are his spots. Don't head out there on another day and fish them. 9 times outta 10 he'll either say "Try Here" or put you "ON" a good spot... those are OK to fish whenever, BUT.... if he says "I've got a little hidden spot we're gonna try" or "This is my money hole" Leave It Alone!!
The EASIEST way to lose a good fishing buddy or make sure he stops giving you advice is to fish his spots.

Have Fun... Its fishing. The nerves kick in as soon as that horn blows... Its OK to birdnest on your first cast of a tourney. It happens LOL (TRUST ME!)
Yes, you're fishing for money, yes you want to be invited back out on his boat, NO you don't want to be THAT guy... Just have fun. Pay attention, Listen and FISH!!

Last edited by CPATTERSON; 11/24/17 06:24 AM.
Re: Co-Angler Etticute? [Re: CPATTERSON] #12514890 11/24/17 06:48 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: CPATTERSON
Im new to the Tournament side of fishing....
I have a good buddy I fish with in his boat.
Here is what I have learned:
1st) My Dad has taught me from day one, Boats don't run on "Thank You". If you're out on another guys boat, you get the gas.
I make it a point, if we stop to fill up, I get to the pump first and slide my card.

Pay Attention. I will usually watch what my boater is doing. If he's throwing a certain color, I'll go with a different color. Or, I'll use a different technique. It has helped figure out patterns.

Treat his boat as I do my own... Keep track of your trash and your gear. Nobody likes clutter.

When nature calls, let him know you've gotta urinate... he will tell you go off the back. DO NOT urinate ON HIS BOAT OR MOTOR!! (I couldn't tell you how many times I've trailered my boat went to wipe it down and had dried yellow urine dribbles on the back!!)
Speaking of wiping down, help him wipe his boat down after.

Respect his space... My guy is good about inviting me up front. NEVER assume its ok and hop up there.

MOST IMPORTANT: RESPECT!!
Your boater more than likely will take you to "Secret Spots"... If you own your own boat, remember those are his spots. Don't head out there on another day and fish them. 9 times outta 10 he'll either say "Try Here" or put you "ON" a good spot... those are OK to fish whenever, BUT.... if he says "I've got a little hidden spot we're gonna try" or "This is my money hole" Leave It Alone!!
The EASIEST way to lose a good fishing buddy or make sure he stops giving you advice is to fish his spots.

Have Fun... Its fishing. The nerves kick in as soon as that horn blows... Its OK to birdnest on your first cast of a tourney. It happens LOL (TRUST ME!)
Yes, you're fishing for money, yes you want to be invited back out on his boat, NO you don't want to be THAT guy... Just have fun. Pay attention, Listen and FISH!!

This guy gets it!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide