Page 1 of 2 1 2
How to target buffalo? #12499729 11/11/17 02:39 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Is there any specific way to target buffalo over carp? I've heard of anglers that catch nothing but carp or nothing but buffalo. Never caught a buff myself, so I'd appreciate any help in this area. Moreover, are there specific methods to target black, smallmouth, or bigmouth buffalo? Thanks in advance!

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12499924 11/11/17 12:47 PM
W
whiterockjesse Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
my opinion only ...i have heard they like sweeter baits , they like smaller baits , they like a certain size leader/hook but i do not see that . ....what i do see ...they are some lakes that the buff bite is more prevelant than others .try lake worth or grapevine if you can ,seems like the buff bite more often there ,at least for me .but i have caught them on the same baits as i use for carp . all depends whats in the area to as to whats gonna bite i have never caught any black or big mouth buffalo (that i know of ) ,just smallmouths

Last edited by whiterockjesse; 11/11/17 12:50 PM.

P.B. Carp ....29 lbs .... P.B. Buffalo 34.4
Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: whiterockjesse] #12500078 11/11/17 04:01 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
I have seen lots of people catching smallmouths, very similarly if not the same way they catch carp. Not too many catching the other species, at least on purpose anyway. Smallmouths are one of the species I need though, so thanks!

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
[Linked Image]
Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12500910 11/12/17 12:16 PM
D
Droyhef Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Running water like rivers or large creeks is usually easier imo if there is a spot you can walk to if you are banking it. Usually you can bait a river spot and have fish on it pretty quick if they want to eat because the current carries the smell and also because fish relate to current breaks so you can see where they are likely to be holding just by watching the flow. Slow spots in relative to the area is what you want, depth is less important than slack water in the river or large creek setting.

http://www.texasmegafishadventures.com
Guided rod and reel fishing trips for Alligator gar on the Trinity River as well as some other places
903-721-4296
dawson@texasmegafishadventures.com
Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: whiterockjesse] #12500935 11/12/17 01:12 PM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: whiterockjesse
my opinion only ...i have heard they like sweeter baits , they like smaller baits , they like a certain size leader/hook but i do not see that . ....what i do see ...they are some lakes that the buff bite is more prevelant than others .try lake worth or grapevine if you can ,seems like the buff bite more often there ,at least for me .but i have caught them on the same baits as i use for carp . all depends whats in the area to as to whats gonna bite i have never caught any black or big mouth buffalo (that i know of ) ,just smallmouths
Jesse have you ever heard of a bait called "Cheese Dough"dough bait? Back in the mid to late 80`s there was a small bait store on W Jefferson just before you`d get to LOOP 12 that sold this product. It was the color of lite brown sugar.There was also another one that was the color of BIG RED soda.These two product came in a resealable bag that could fit in your hand.The RED, which was said to be very sweet,was for Carp & the BROWN type was for Buffalo.I would take some of that lite brown stuff , go to the California crossing spillway,place a wad of it on a small treble hook(no weight), and catch Buffalo all day long.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: Droyhef] #12501102 11/12/17 05:03 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Dawson Hefner
Running water like rivers or large creeks is usually easier imo if there is a spot you can walk to if you are banking it. Usually you can bait a river spot and have fish on it pretty quick if they want to eat because the current carries the smell and also because fish relate to current breaks so you can see where they are likely to be holding just by watching the flow. Slow spots in relative to the area is what you want, depth is less important than slack water in the river or large creek setting.

Thanks for the tips! I've never had too much luck in the rivers, hopefully this'll give me the boost I need.

[Linked Image]
Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12501103 11/12/17 05:06 PM
D
Droyhef Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Where are you?)

Guided rod and reel fishing trips for Alligator gar on the Trinity River as well as some other places
903-721-4296
Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: Droyhef] #12501106 11/12/17 05:09 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Where are you?)

DFW metroplex. I try the Trinity when I can.

[Linked Image]
Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12501113 11/12/17 05:16 PM
D
Droyhef Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
It's loaded with them, there are some older posts on here about it if you want to dig. Not my stomping grounds, but it's slap full of them. Spillways and low head dams good, current breaks anywhere you can get to them too, I just don't know where they are for you in the field. Bait with range cubes, fish with sweet corn or boiled deer corn.

903-721-4296
Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: Droyhef] #12501561 11/13/17 01:07 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
It's loaded with them, there are some older posts on here about it if you want to dig. Not my stomping grounds, but it's slap full of them. Spillways and low head dams good, current breaks anywhere you can get to them too, I just don't know where they are for you in the field. Bait with range cubes, fish with sweet corn or boiled deer corn.

Will try, thanks! See those baits suggested quite often.

[Linked Image]
Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: Fishbonz] #12502886 11/14/17 10:38 AM
W
whiterockjesse Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
Originally Posted By: whiterockjesse
Jesse have you ever heard of a bait called "Cheese Dough"dough bait? Back in the mid to late 80`s there was a small bait store on W Jefferson just before you`d get to LOOP 12 that sold this product. It was the color of lite brown sugar.There was also another one that was the color of BIG RED soda.These two product came in a resealable bag that could fit in your hand.The RED, which was said to be very sweet,was for Carp & the BROWN type was for Buffalo.I would take some of that lite brown stuff , go to the California crossing spillway,place a wad of it on a small treble hook(no weight), and catch Buffalo all day long.
... i was into crappie fishing, and catfishing in those days .. i did used to fish Mountain Creek when i was in high school , grew up off Clarendon .i do remember the bait store tho . kinda remember that bait being sold at fisherman supply too .

P.B. Carp ....29 lbs .... P.B. Buffalo 34.4
Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12503257 11/14/17 05:16 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
I've only caught buffalo on crawfish dough bait when catfishing, acually never caught a carp. I snag buffalo all the time though in my Irving stomping grounds. They feed on the canal wall at night and stick their head out of the water to suck on the bricks. If I feel like it I can sight them and snag a crappie jig into them. Biggest has been 17.6 so far lol

Eric

Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12503433 11/14/17 07:35 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Took the kids out 2 weekends ago for a little night fishing. Caught our biggest buff at 17 lbs, next one was 15 lbs and about 8 carp averaging 3-5 lbs. It was a great night for kids. All caught on sweet corn soaked in vanilla in the greenbelt corridor between Lewisville and Ray Roberts.

Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: erittmueller] #12503990 11/15/17 04:03 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: erittmueller
I've only caught buffalo on crawfish dough bait when catfishing, acually never caught a carp. I snag buffalo all the time though in my Irving stomping grounds. They feed on the canal wall at night and stick their head out of the water to suck on the bricks. If I feel like it I can sight them and snag a crappie jig into them. Biggest has been 17.6 so far lol

Eric

If I remember correctly, you're not supposed to fish in those canals.
Thanks though. I definitely "won't" be trying it sometime. wink

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 11/15/17 04:04 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: How to target buffalo? [Re: JJ4MEL] #12503992 11/15/17 04:05 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: JJ4MEL
Took the kids out 2 weekends ago for a little night fishing. Caught our biggest buff at 17 lbs, next one was 15 lbs and about 8 carp averaging 3-5 lbs. It was a great night for kids. All caught on sweet corn soaked in vanilla in the greenbelt corridor between Lewisville and Ray Roberts.

I'll have to head up there sometime, thanks.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide