Forum Stats
106343 Members
61 Forums
861689 Topics
12247602 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12491121 - 11/03/17 05:18 PM Is this reel junk?
k.l.white Offline
Green Horn

I bought this reel at Gander Mountain before they went out of business. It's a 3000. I got it for my son and the first two times he used it, he brought it back with the worst bird nests you can imagine. I thought he just wasn't taking care of his equipment then I started messing with it. I've changed the line 3 times and now I have Seaguar InvizX 8# fluoro on it and it still runs line off the spool when you cast it. Is it the reel? Or me?

#12491126 - 11/03/17 05:34 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white]
EastTexasBassin Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Lake Ray Hubbard
I have that issue with flouro on a spinning reel. I only use braid on my spinning reels now and use a flouro leader when necessary. Problem solved.

#12491132 - 11/03/17 05:41 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white]
k.l.white Offline
Green Horn

I need to give the braid a try. If that doesn't work, this thing needs to go to the landfill!

#12491136 - 11/03/17 05:43 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white]
Peepaw on Fork Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Yantis,Texas
Leave it about 1/8" below the lip when you fill it

#12491149 - 11/03/17 06:16 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white]
Ken A. Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Trophy Club, TX
It ain't the reel. The first thing I would check is how you put the line on. Many folks don't put the line on a spinning reel correctly. It has to come off the spool exactly the opposite of how it is going onto your reel. If you didn't pay attention to the way it was going onto the spool when you put it on, you will get line twist.

Most spinning reels rotate clockwise when you turn the handle. The line has to come off the new spool counter-clockwise. Does that make sense?

If you stuck a pencil thru the spool of line and wound it on, you twisted the line when you put it on. Spinning reels inherently twist the line when it goes onto the reel and untwists as it comes off the reel.

Additionally, fluorocarbon line is inherently stiff and not good for novices to use on a spinning reel. The suggestion to use braid on the reel is a good one. I would recommend 20# Power Pro. Doesn't have to be the fancy 8 strand super smooth stuff. The plain old PP will work just fine for ya.

Then if you are concerned about the fish seeing the line you can learn one of them fancy knots to join the braid and fluoro together. That will open up another can of worms. wink

Edited by Ken A. (11/03/17 06:18 PM)

#12491171 - 11/03/17 06:39 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white]
bradnitro175 Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Dallas,tx
Also when you put the line on make sure it doesn't spin around the spool.spinning reels are for yankees

#12491178 - 11/03/17 06:46 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: Ken A.]
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
It ain't the reel. The first thing I would check is how you put the line on. Many folks don't put the line on a spinning reel correctly. It has to come off the spool exactly the opposite of how it is going onto your reel. If you didn't pay attention to the way it was going onto the spool when you put it on, you will get line twist.

Most spinning reels rotate clockwise when you turn the handle. The line has to come off the new spool counter-clockwise. Does that make sense?

If you stuck a pencil thru the spool of line and wound it on, you twisted the line when you put it on. Spinning reels inherently twist the line when it goes onto the reel and untwists as it comes off the reel.

Additionally, fluorocarbon line is inherently stiff and not good for novices to use on a spinning reel. The suggestion to use braid on the reel is a good one. I would recommend 20# Power Pro. Doesn't have to be the fancy 8 strand super smooth stuff. The plain old PP will work just fine for ya.

Then if you are concerned about the fish seeing the line you can learn one of them fancy knots to join the braid and fluoro together. That will open up another can of worms. wink

OK Ken, I'm guilty of what you said, putting a pencil through the hole in the spool and have the same issue as the OP. So how's the best way to put line on a spinning reel ?

#12491202 - 11/03/17 07:01 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white]
Flippin-Out Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Magnolia, TX
You lay the supply spool flat on the floor below the tip of the rod. The line should spiral off the side of the spool and look like a slinky/spring going up the rod tip. The line needs to come off the supply spool the opposite direction that it goes on the reel. This is what does the tit-for-tat to reduce line twist.

Fluorocarbon goes with ANY spinning reel about as calmly as gasoline with a fire. Bad choice. I've found 20# (standard no-frills) PowerPro braid to work great with my smaller spinning reels used in coastal waters. If the water is clear (rarely for me), I can use a 17# co-polymer leader. No fluoro for me in saltwater applications.

Another VERY important thing to do: Close the bail manually by hand. DO NOT turn the handle to make the bail close. If you do it by turning the handle, several twists get put into the line for every cast - each time you close the bail that way. Pushing the bail over by hand avoids this. This pointer isn't an old wives' tale; I learned from a guide. My problem went away when I started hand-closing the bail.

#12491220 - 11/03/17 07:16 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white]
Reshelman Online   content
Angler

Loc: McKinney
All good points, except there is no good way to use flouro on a spinning reel. Spooled it the right way, wrong way, big line, small line, didn't seem to matter. All for tangled up in a crimped up ball in about 20 minutes

#12491221 - 11/03/17 07:17 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white]
Shallow Waters Online   content
Angler

I use flouro on all my spinning reels, but I lower the # test and use line conditioner religiously before I store the rod and the night before I go fishing. I absolutely hate tying leaders and don't care much for braid either. I typically only use spinning gear for finesse fishing though.

#12491235 - 11/03/17 07:33 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: Flippin-Out]
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
You lay the supply spool flat on the floor below the tip of the rod. The line should spiral off the side of the spool and look like a slinky/spring going up the rod tip. The line needs to come off the supply spool the opposite direction that it goes on the reel. This is what does the tit-for-tat to reduce line twist.

Fluorocarbon goes with ANY spinning reel about as calmly as gasoline with a fire. Bad choice. I've found 20# (standard no-frills) PowerPro braid to work great with my smaller spinning reels used in coastal waters. If the water is clear (rarely for me), I can use a 17# co-polymer leader. No fluoro for me in saltwater applications.

Another VERY important thing to do: Close the bail manually by hand. DO NOT turn the handle to make the bail close. If you do it by turning the handle, several twists get put into the line for every cast - each time you close the bail that way. Pushing the bail over by hand avoids this. This pointer isn't an old wives' tale; I learned from a guide. My problem went away when I started hand-closing the bail.

Thanks for the help. Getting ready to respool my reels and will do as you say.

#12491301 - 11/03/17 08:16 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: Reshelman]
the skipper Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: nederland, TX
Originally Posted By: Reshelman
All good points, except there is no good way to use flouro on a spinning reel. Spooled it the right way, wrong way, big line, small line, didn't seem to matter. All for tangled up in a crimped up ball in about 20 minutes

This is my experience. Now it's braid to a flouro leader and I won't ever change back. So much easier

#12491423 - 11/03/17 10:17 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: Flippin-Out]
Dan90210 ☮ Online   content
Nonbinary Gender of the Year 2017

Loc: Denton County
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

100% correct on all counts.

Only thing I'd add is drop the spool of new line (mono. Floro has no place on spinning reels) in a sink or bucket of warm water for about 15 mins prior to spooling the spinning reel and do NOT overfill it. 1/8th inch from the top max.

#12491441 - 11/03/17 10:58 PM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white]
Creekhead Offline
Outdoorsman

I bought four of these when Gander was closing, they are great but as mentioned I have braid on all of these. I tried Flouro on one of them but it jumped off the real, so now I have all four with braid and just do simple leader knots. I love them for the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12491704 - 11/04/17 09:58 AM Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white]
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Mansfield, Tx.
I like braid with a fluoro. leader also. I flip the bail before I start my retrieve to cut down on line twist also. Don't over fill your spool like others have said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 1998-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide