DIY Lure! Easy To Make #12485497 10/31/17 01:45 PM
B
Banker Fisherman Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Hello Fellow Anglers!

I wanted to share something that a lot of you have probably seen before, but may have never tried it. This lure is fairly straight forward and can be customized. Please let me know if yall have any questions, but I hope this inspires some to try this.

So I first started out by going through my tackle box and seeing what I had....I wanted to make this something that didn't require going out and buying little if nothing.

I found a thin wire hook that I would usually have a cricket on. I am sorry I don't know the exact size, but it was the right shaft length I was looking for and the eye was small enough to thread through the paracord I already had.

I then found 40ft of blue paracord I had left over from a project I did a long time ago. The paracord diameter was a little more narrow than I was thinking about, but it ended working well in the end.

First what you do is start to fray out the outer sheath to reveal the white inner string. The paracord I have only had one string, but other larger paracords out there will have more.

Once you have the inner white string exposed, pull out about 1/2" of it and then grab your hook. Take the eye of the hook and thread it inside the paracord. Now I pushed it in until the frayed outer sheath began to curve up the hook bend. The reason being is because once I have the cord cut, I will fray out the outer sheath a little more.

Once the hook is in the paracord, take some scissors and cut the cord just in front of where the eye is. Now take a lighter and seal the end of the paracord to where it shrinks behind the eye of the hook. Now some instructions will tell you to squeeze the cord onto the shaft of the hook so it will stick and not move. Now that may work on some larger hooks or larger cord. I found that it may stick for a little bit, but with a little movement it will come loose. I will explain later some ways to help secure the cord.

Now that your cord is sealed, time to fray out the cord sheath and the white inner string. This can be done with your fingers or take another fish hook and use the point to spread apart the threads. This will give the lure more of a profile.

This is where most instructions stop, but I decided to take it a little further. This lure is nice as is, it is a great lure for pond fishing or going with a nice finesse approach. I decided that this lure needed a little more weight so I took some split shot weights and spread them apart to where it would fit the shaft of the hook. Then I clenched it down which not only gave the lure weight, but secures the cord to the shaft of the hook.

Now if you want to secure the cord to the hook another way, some Gel Super Glue works wonders as well.

Another step that I took was adding some skirting to this. I looked into my stash and picked out some colours I thought would work well. Chartreuse Glitter with Blue Blood Craw. I just took 3 strands each and that made up the skirt.

Now I will say that the o-ring for the skirt was not SUPER tight on there, so maybe some smaller O-rings in the future...but for now it is on there and not loose.

As for testing this lure out, I have not thrown it yet, but I will tomorrow. I have it on an ultra-light spinning set up and will throw it at some local ponds.

Thank you for your time in reading this post and I hope it inspires you to try and make some easy homemade lures.

[Linked Image]
Re: DIY Lure! Easy To Make [Re: Banker Fisherman] #12486373 10/31/17 10:40 PM
B
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Got this tied on and ready to throw it tomorrow, ready to see what it looks like in the water and hopefully catch some fish. Will follow up with pictures and findings.

[Linked Image]
Re: DIY Lure! Easy To Make [Re: Banker Fisherman] #12486455 10/31/17 11:26 PM
SgtDag Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I like making stuff and I hope you catch some good ones. All lures started somewhere.

"If you're going through hell keep going." Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by 1ShotNoKills
I open mouth kiss my sisters
Re: DIY Lure! Easy To Make [Re: Banker Fisherman] #12488462 11/02/17 01:46 AM
B
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Well it was a success!

Took this out to a local pond and it caught two fish out of about 15 minutes or throwing it around. I tried some different retrieves such as dragging it on the bottom, hopping it and even pitching it close to cover. It was a steady retrieve with some spuratic twitches that did the trick. Almost like retrieving a swim bait. I am sorry I don’t have any water shots of the lure, but it did catch some fish:

[Linked Image]
Re: DIY Lure! Easy To Make [Re: Banker Fisherman] #12488640 11/02/17 03:38 AM
DanDaBald Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Free is always good.

Thanks for sharing !

flag NEVER FORGET 9/11/2001 flag
Re: DIY Lure! Easy To Make [Re: DanDaBald] #12488838 11/02/17 12:03 PM
B
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: DanDaBald
Free is always good.

Thanks for sharing !

No problem, I hope it inspires some to take a look through their gear and see what possibilities there might be.

[Linked Image]
Re: DIY Lure! Easy To Make [Re: Banker Fisherman] #12490320 11/03/17 12:47 PM
B
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Banker Fisherman
Well it was a success!

Took this out to a local pond and it caught two fish out of about 15 minutes or throwing it around. I tried some different retrieves such as dragging it on the bottom, hopping it and even pitching it close to cover. It was a steady retrieve with some spuratic twitches that did the trick. Almost like retrieving a swim bait. I am sorry I don’t have any water shots of the lure, but it did catch some fish:

[Linked Image]
Re: DIY Lure! Easy To Make [Re: Banker Fisherman] #12490376 11/03/17 01:24 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
smile thumb

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index