Print Thread
Did rayburn claim any boats today? #12475249 10/23/17 01:27 AM
T
the skipper Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
We fished the splash, didn't do any good in the tournament but caught quite a few fish. The morning was crazy when the front blew thru. That usually gets a boat or 2 during a splash. I heard one guy say there was one but was wondering if y'all heard of any? Also, congrats to the 12 year old that won.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: the skipper] #12475486 10/23/17 12:00 PM
1442 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I talked with the guys in the Sheriff departments big rescue boat. Said they only had one call for a boater who ran up on an island before daylight navigating by GPS.

Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: the skipper] #12476219 10/23/17 09:53 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Ooooooo it was soooooo bad that they were filming "The Perfect Storm" yesterday morning at 5:45. It wasn't supposed to hit until 7:00. It was sooooo calm when we left Hank's headed up the lake it was very deceiving! Within 5 min we were slammed by a Wall of Wind and Rain like I have never seen before. (Well, it was dark and COULDN'T see this!) I have been tournament bass fishing for Many Many Many years but this was the worst. We took 3 over the nose of my 21' Triton before we could try and adjust ( turned the bilges on manual) but couldn't see the waves. We took 2 more over the starbord side as we tried to turn to the shore. Luckily we found a very small cove on the GPS map and were only 200yds off shore. Made it into the cove and got calmed down and pumped the water out. If we had been in the middle of the lake running up the boat cut like we did Saturday in the dark, we would not have been able to make it to any shore through the timber. Bad thing is I flew Helicopters in the Army and know about weather. But this was completely a surprise. Nothing on the weather or radar!!!
Woo Hoo. Had some good wet undies, since Frog Toadz don't work well underwater!

Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: the skipper] #12476295 10/23/17 11:29 PM
T
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
I checked the radar before we launched but I could tell quite a few didn't. We stayed real close but I didn't know it was going to get that bad so we just put it back on the trailer. I know some of those guys were out there with nowhere to go when it came thru. What surprised me about the whole tournament was that they didn't change the start time. They could have moved it all a hour forward and it would have been a lot better.

Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: Bigron119] #12476410 10/24/17 12:36 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Such storms are why I always tinker with the bilge pump configuration. My boat's 2 stock pumps were rated for 1250 gph. When I was done, my two pumps rate at 2475 gph (which included upgrading one hose to 1.125 inch). Some also add a 3rd large pump as a temporary/portable device in the floor of the cockpit using a large diameter hose that can be hung over the side of the boat when needed.

Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: the skipper] #12476528 10/24/17 01:56 AM
D
Dr. Drop Offline
Angler
Angler
D
I been fishing tournaments many years. I don't know what I would do without my weather and radar apps on my phone. Got to always keep and eye on the sky. Especially the big lakes. It could save your life.

Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: Flippin-Out] #12476792 10/24/17 12:59 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
Such storms are why I always tinker with the bilge pump configuration. My boat's 2 stock pumps were rated for 1250 gph. When I was done, my two pumps rate at 2475 gph (which included upgrading one hose to 1.125 inch). Some also add a 3rd large pump as a temporary/portable device in the floor of the cockpit using a large diameter hose that can be hung over the side of the boat when needed.

Can I assume you also had to enlarge the through the hull fitting? I have been wanting to Max Out my bilges. I consider this one of the best upgrades in a boat.

Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: the skipper] #12477559 10/24/17 11:21 PM
T
Team Reverse 1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I was there too but the Lightning kept me off the water. I will fight wind, rain, and cold but will NOT play with the Lightning. Don't know how you all do it.

Make a choice & go with it!
Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: the skipper] #12477578 10/24/17 11:31 PM
T
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
I dont do lightning either. That's why we loaded back up on the trailer. What got people on our side of the lake was you couldn't see any lightning. I could make out the line coming barely in the sky. Next thing was hearing the wind and bam, it was on us

Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: the skipper] #12478687 10/25/17 08:41 PM
C
Canny Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I didn't fish the tournament but I saw the weather come through Sunday morning in Lufkin. My first thought was how many people were out in it on the lake.

Cross her eyes, and dot her T's
Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: Bigron119] #12480234 10/26/17 10:00 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Bigron119
Such storms are why I always tinker with the bilge pump configuration. My boat's 2 stock pumps were rated for 1250 gph - total for both pumps!. When I was done, my two pumps rate at 2475 gph (which included upgrading one hose to 1.125 inch). Some also add a 3rd large pump as a temporary/portable device in the floor of the cockpit using a large diameter hose that can be hung over the side of the boat when needed.

Can I assume you also had to enlarge the through the hull fitting? I have been wanting to Max Out my bilges. I consider this one of the best upgrades in a boat.

Yes, notice that my original response said I upgraded one thru-hull to 1.125" (1 1/8th inch). I did that for the higher capacity pump. For the automatic pump, I simply replaced the 500 gph pump with one that is rated at 1000 gph, still using the OEM plumbing. Even without changing plumbing, you can get to 2000 GPH simply by installing two new pumps that run 1000 GPH with a 3/4 inch hose. My current configuration can theoretically pump a 55 gallon drum of water in just over 90 seconds. Compare that to a stock setup!

I've developed a technique for enlarging the hole cut in the boat that has worked quite well on several boats, so I view the hose diameter upgrade as not a big deal. If you do replace any plumbing, be SURE to use hose that has a smooth inside wall. (The best flex hose is smooth with a spiral flex exterior.) Cheap corrugated hose will reduce the flow rate due to turbulence and you won't get the rated GPH. This info comes from fine print provided by bilge pump manufacturers.

The added pump capacity isn't just about waves/storms. If you breach the hull due to obstacle impact, you may be able to keep it floating well enough to make it to the trailer...

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 10/26/17 10:05 PM.
Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: the skipper] #12480247 10/26/17 10:16 PM
T
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
If you don't want to run new plumbing there is another way. You can tie into the livewells pump out hoses. They make check valves you can install and a "y" fitting. If I install another one that's how I will do it

Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: the skipper] #12480555 10/27/17 02:26 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: the skipper
If you don't want to run new plumbing there is another way. You can tie into the livewells pump out hoses. They make check valves you can install and a "y" fitting. If I install another one that's how I will do it

All the livewell pump-out plumbing I have seen is also 3/4 inch hose. Why mess with that when his boat already has two bilge pumps with dedicated 3/4 inch hose plumbing for each pump?

Keep in mind that any check-valve will likely impact the flow rate so significantly that the pumps GPH rating will likely be cut in half. Bilge pumps assume a 0 PSI head pressure. You'd be changing that drastically with a check-valve. A check-valve can also fail or clog - not a risk you want in a bilge pump system that you may depend on to save your boat from sinking.

I would never do as you say - very bad suggestion in my opinion.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 10/27/17 02:27 AM.
Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: Flippin-Out] #12480584 10/27/17 02:44 AM
T
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: the skipper

All the livewell pump-out plumbing I have seen is also 3/4 inch hose. Why mess with that when his boat already has two bilge pumps with dedicated 3/4 inch hose plumbing for each pump?

Keep in mind that any check-valve will likely impact the flow rate so significantly that the pumps GPH rating will likely be cut in half. Bilge pumps assume a 0 PSI head pressure. You'd be changing that drastically with a check-valve. A check-valve can also fail or clog - not a risk you want in a bilge pump system that you may depend on to save your boat from sinking.

I would never do as you say - very bad suggestion in my opinion.

You must not have checked them out. Also, it was a suggestion for someone that doesn't already have 2 pumps and doesn't want to drill holes to add another line. The checks I looked at wouldn't effect pump output any more than a 90 bend in a hose. The checks are also a very, very simple design. No worries of one failing and sinking your boat

Re: Did rayburn claim any boats today? [Re: Flippin-Out] #12485457 10/31/17 01:18 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Bigron119
Such storms are why I always tinker with the bilge pump configuration. My boat's 2 stock pumps were rated for 1250 gph - total for both pumps!. When I was done, my two pumps rate at 2475 gph (which included upgrading one hose to 1.125 inch). Some also add a 3rd large pump as a temporary/portable device in the floor of the cockpit using a large diameter hose that can be hung over the side of the boat when needed.

Very Good Info! Thanks! thumb

Yes, notice that my original response said I upgraded one thru-hull to 1.125" (1 1/8th inch). I did that for the higher capacity pump. For the automatic pump, I simply replaced the 500 gph pump with one that is rated at 1000 gph, still using the OEM plumbing. Even without changing plumbing, you can get to 2000 GPH simply by installing two new pumps that run 1000 GPH with a 3/4 inch hose. My current configuration can theoretically pump a 55 gallon drum of water in just over 90 seconds. Compare that to a stock setup!

I've developed a technique for enlarging the hole cut in the boat that has worked quite well on several boats, so I view the hose diameter upgrade as not a big deal. If you do replace any plumbing, be SURE to use hose that has a smooth inside wall. (The best flex hose is smooth with a spiral flex exterior.) Cheap corrugated hose will reduce the flow rate due to turbulence and you won't get the rated GPH. This info comes from fine print provided by bilge pump manufacturers.

The added pump capacity isn't just about waves/storms. If you breach the hull due to obstacle impact, you may be able to keep it floating well enough to make it to the trailer...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide