812164 Topics
10253859 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#12472530 - 10/20/17 10:03 AM Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls
erittmueller Offline
Angler

Loc: Irving/Valley Ranch
Will PVC porcupines using crates (like milk crate) sink or float? How much weight is needed for pond or lake so not moving water? Small brick, whole cinder block, etc?

Eric

#12472809 - 10/20/17 01:21 PM Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls [Re: erittmueller]
Fishbonz Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Desoto,Tx. Dallas county
Originally Posted By: erittmueller
Will PVC porcupines using crates (like milk crate) sink or float? How much weight is needed for pond or lake so not moving water? Small brick, whole cinder block, etc?

Eric
PM sent

#12473033 - 10/20/17 03:59 PM Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls [Re: erittmueller]
RespectTheFish Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Abilene, Texas, Fort Phantom
Consider using small cardboard boxes that you get when you order something from Amazon. Cut a bunch of 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch pvc about 6 inches long and cement several pvc stubs out of it (I usually do 12-18 or more depending on the size of the box). Then glue couplings on the ends and you can assemble the rest of the PVC however long you want at the lake or pond and it costs a fraction the costs of those pvc porcupine balls Bill Dance sells and probably a heck of a lot easier than building a porcupine ball with a milk crate.

Seaark 2472 MV custom with 90 HP Honda
Helix 12 SI/DI/CHIRP/360
Terrova 112

#12473159 - 10/20/17 06:38 PM Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls [Re: erittmueller]
crapyetr Online   sleepy
Extreme Angler

Loc: Nacog TX
free bucket...40lbs concrete...free or cheap pvc...1/2 inch cheap hose...

#12473181 - 10/20/17 07:10 PM Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls [Re: erittmueller]
Chief262 Online   content
Green Horn

Design I've been playing with.

#12475112 - 10/22/17 06:04 PM Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls [Re: erittmueller]
RespectTheFish Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Abilene, Texas, Fort Phantom
How does PVC trees compare to real brush as far as fish being attracted to it? I had tried PVC and it was convenient to assemble at the lake without attracting looks from people and easy to fish because I never got hung up; but I never could find them on sonar and rarely had any fish around them. What's yalls tricks to locating exactly where they are and fishing them if it is not close to anything? I spot locked with my Terrova, then threw brush out in front of the trolling motor so I knew exactly where my TM was in relation to the brush pile so I could go back to it. I got to hand it to crappie anglers, fishing over a brush pile when its not close to anything is much tougher then I expected. I'm tempted to throw more PVC structure in the lake with a small float attached to them so I can see exactly where to fish but then I should put a big sign up for everyone else to come fish it lol.

Seaark 2472 MV custom with 90 HP Honda
Helix 12 SI/DI/CHIRP/360
Terrova 112

#12475190 - 10/22/17 07:29 PM Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls [Re: RespectTheFish]
Fishbonz Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Desoto,Tx. Dallas county
Originally Posted By: RespectTheFish
How does PVC trees compare to real brush as far as fish being attracted to it? I had tried PVC and it was convenient to assemble at the lake without attracting looks from people and easy to fish because I never got hung up; but I never could find them on sonar and rarely had any fish around them. What's yalls tricks to locating exactly where they are and fishing them if it is not close to anything? I spot locked with my Terrova, then threw brush out in front of the trolling motor so I knew exactly where my TM was in relation to the brush pile so I could go back to it. I got to hand it to crappie anglers, fishing over a brush pile when its not close to anything is much tougher then I expected. I'm tempted to throw more PVC structure in the lake with a small float attached to them so I can see exactly where to fish but then I should put a big sign up for everyone else to come fish it lol.
PVC is very hard to see. I`ve had the same experience.All I can suggest is tying something like some rubber or plastic hose to it just like the ones the TPWD uses on Lake Fork and some other lakes.Drop a marker Buoy first and then drop the pvc TREE close to it so you have a point of orientation.

#12475776 - 10/23/17 11:08 AM Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls [Re: erittmueller]
erittmueller Offline
Angler

Loc: Irving/Valley Ranch
Thanks guys. These would not be going in the lake, if anything just in some local ponds if we make them, some that can be fished from the bank. The box is a great idea, probably gonna use that one after the crates are used up.

Eric

#12475809 - 10/23/17 11:27 AM Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls [Re: erittmueller]
Finaddict Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Cedar Creek lake, Tx
Get rebar and cut into 4ft pieces and stick into pvc. It sill show up on sonar and others will only see a red blimp and not recognize it as structure.

www.g-rods.com/collections/crappie-spinning
www.constantpursuitoutfitters.com
www.chriswebbsfishing.com
Survived Vietnam TET offensive 1968, 100% disabled compliments of Agent Orange.
NO regrets.....

#12475834 - 10/23/17 11:38 AM Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls [Re: RespectTheFish]
fishin'aholic2 Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Irving, Texas
Originally Posted By: RespectTheFish

PVC condos do hold fish but not as good as natural brush IMO. I have found that PVC is inconsistent in holding fish. Either they are all over it or you don't get bit. Brush tends to always hold at least a couple. PVC is also hard to see at times on the graph.

Text Joey at 817-897-1384 for great rod and rod repair rates!

www.youtube.com/KIDKRAPPIE

© 1998-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide