Page 1 of 2 1 2
Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing #12457384 10/08/17 02:45 AM
B
ben_beyer Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
I am looking at getting an 8wt rod to do some Bass and Inshore fishing with. The rods I am considering are a Medium-Fast action.

Would these be OK for Bass and Inshore fishing or should I just look at Fast action rods only?

Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12457499 10/08/17 03:40 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I use my Cabelas fiberglass 7/8 weight CGR for both. It's way slower than medium-fast. I really like the rod on the lake. It stays in load so long I get to really adjust my cast for a relatively long period. All that adds up into being able to thread the cast through overhead cover and shoreline vegetation.

The 7/8 CGR works out in the bay and marsh. Maybe it's not the rod I first reach for on a windy day.

Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12457534 10/08/17 04:06 AM
B
ben_beyer Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
At the risk of sounding glutenous, I was also thinking about getting a 10wt of the same model later on for throwing 1/0 and 2/0 flies on windy days.

Personally it seems like it would be a good mix of accuracy and power but I've never fished with that action in those weight ranges and I'd rather not make the mistake of buying too slow of an action.

Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12457669 10/08/17 12:35 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I've done a lot more bay and marsh fishing than for largemouth bass. In my experience, those big wind resistant deer hair poppers used for LMB bass are harder to cast than the average redfish fly. I have a medium fast TFO (fly rod Chronicles) 10 weight and have used it in the surf, on the jetties, and on nearshore boat cruises. I haven't used it on the lake or in the bay or marsh.

There seems to be a calculus of fly/fish/fatigue when choosing a rod for a particular task. I guess the first decision point and normally the deciding factor is can the rod adequately cast and present the desired fly patterns at fishing distances needed for the particular fish in question. In inshore redfish stalking that I've experienced here in Texas, that rod could be anywhere from a 5 weight on up to a 9 weight depending on the day, structure and conditions. Normally, the casts needed are not long, I bet somewhere around 40-45 feet is the top of the bell curve. And the flies aren't huge, size 2-6, lightly to moderately weighted and not too wind resistant are my standard sized redfish patterns. Some of my inshore patterns can be thrown well with a 5 or six weight. All of them can be cast well with an eight weight.

My heavy inshore bay and marsh rod is an ultra fast 8/9 weight g. Loomis Short Stix, loaded with 9 weight SA saltwater Titan taper. It's a short heavy head designed to cut through the wind and the rod is designed for shooting line with minimal false casting. I think it's great, especially in typical windy Texas, with the exception that it's overkill on smaller reds or trout.

That's the other consideration is that a rod can be too much for a fish so that it's not as much fun in the fight. A 20" red that is fun on my 5/6 weight CGR is not nearly as exciting on the 8/9 Short Stix.

The last thing is fatigue. 10 weights aren't normally fun for most mortals to sling all day. My 8/9 Short Stix isn't too tiring being 7'6" , but a 9' 10 weight will probably wear you out before long. High end rods normally swing a lot lighter so if you want to spend $800 for new or $500-600 on a used model that could help.

Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12457785 10/08/17 03:15 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I guess the thing about stalking redfish here is that can be hard to find them and they can be moody, but it's isn't a long distance cast type of fishery, at least not anyplace I've fished. Maybe if you plan on traveling to a location where long casts are needed, I guess someplace tropical or with very clear water and spooky fish, then the rod to pick might be one with a reputation of being able to really reach out and nail that 80-90+' cast. But if 90% of the expected shots like what I've experienced are 25-70 feet I'd gear up for that. That really gives you a lot of options on rods. Whatever rod in whatever weight that you feel comfortable casting those distances without getting a hernia is the one I'd choose. People here in Texas seem to get it done with a variety of set ups sort of tailored to their own preferences and tastes.

If you wade and stalk. I think a 9' rod isn't a bad idea. I like the shorter rods from the deck of a boat or standing in a kayak. The knock on shorter rods is usually about distance and they might be tougher to mend the line with. I don't do a lot of dead drifts with dries or nymphs in current for reds where I'm needing to constantly mend the line and I've already covered the distance issue. Shorter rods do have a reputation for accuracy, for swinging light, and for fish fighting and landing ease. I fish 7'6" rods, both glass and carbon, on the lake and on the bay and marsh and have been very happy with them mainly because I can deliver the fly where I want it to be with them and because they are just less of a pain to land a fish.

But hardly anyone fishes exactly like anyone else. I don't think anyone making different choices about gear is doing it wrong or not well. It's hard to weed through all the choices and information and personal preferences and then figure out what works for you where you fish. I started on 9' rods and just evolved into, through trial and error, to where I am now. It doesn't mean I won't make different choices in the future with new information and experience.

Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12457795 10/08/17 03:29 PM
B
ben_beyer Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Good point.

I am going to rethink the 10wt and probably do one of the shorter and stouter rods.

The 8wt I am thinking about getting is the TFO Professional II so it should be OK with the right lines to throw size 2 flies.

Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12457857 10/08/17 05:24 PM
S
skeeterK Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I fly fish primarily for bass from my boat using a St. Croix Mojo Bass in 8wt. It's a Med-Fast rod and has a nice easy price tag. I pair it with either a Rio Red Fish or an Orvis Bank Shot fly line depending what's tied on. I generally use the trolling motor to get within 35-40ft. If there's much wind I will switch over to my Helios 8wt tip flex rod as I can get tighter loops.

Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12457866 10/08/17 05:47 PM
B
Bruce Mc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Ben, I have a Cabelas RLS 8 weight that is also a medium fast action rod. I can toss 1/0 hair bugs easily with regular 8 weight Orvis bass line, though I've recently started using Scientific Angler MPX for fresh water and find it much better on a windy day. The MPX has the same weight for the first 30 feet as the Orvis Bass line I used but it has more of the weight in the first 15 feet. It will roll out a 1/0 deceiver without much effort. I really like the Orvis Ignitor HD fly line for salt water. I also have two fast action 8 weights and they can cast a bit farther, but they don't catch any more fish. The light swing weight is their biggest attribute for me. The fast actions also have been a long flat learning curve for me. I'm afraid I can offer no opinion on the TFO Pro II.

"Garg 'nuair dh�isgear"
Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12458293 10/08/17 10:55 PM
B
ben_beyer Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Most of my fishing with this will be out of a kayak.

I have a 4wt 8' medium-fast rod currently but it does much better with dry flies than a size 10 weighted woolly bugger.

I am wanting to do some bass fishing primarily out of the kayak but also hit some local ponds that have small (14ish inch bass) with a fly rod so that factors in to my decision.

Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12458867 10/09/17 01:15 PM
J
joabsher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I have an 8wt TFO Pro that I use for inshore fishing. It definitely isn't the fastest rod, but is perfectly acceptable for redfish and trout. I have it paired with SA Sharkwave textured line that helps a lot. It really slides through the guides to help with shooting into the wind. I like my setup but will probably be upgrading to something faster, maybe a BVK or something, before too long.

That being said, I use a 6wt for bass on lakes and bigger rivers here in central Texas. I have a TFO Mangrove that is definitely faster than my TFO Pro. Love that rod.

Early on I decided that fishing would be my way of looking at the world. First it taught me to look at rivers. Lately is has been teaching me how to look at people, myself included.
- Thomas McGuane
Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12458937 10/09/17 01:59 PM
B
ben_beyer Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Cool.

I think I am going to take the time and head over to Living Waters in Round Rock and see if they can let me try out some rods.

Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: joabsher] #12470434 10/18/17 09:26 PM
B
ben_beyer Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: joabsher
I have an 8wt TFO Pro that I use for inshore fishing. It definitely isn't the fastest rod, but is perfectly acceptable for redfish and trout. I have it paired with SA Sharkwave textured line that helps a lot. It really slides through the guides to help with shooting into the wind. I like my setup but will probably be upgrading to something faster, maybe a BVK or something, before too long.

That being said, I use a 6wt for bass on lakes and bigger rivers here in central Texas. I have a TFO Mangrove that is definitely faster than my TFO Pro. Love that rod.

I went and did some practice casting at a city pond in College Station this last weekend and I have to agree with you on the Pro II rods being more of a medium action.

I haven't made it over to Living Waters or one of the places in Houston but I might be if the weather is poor this weekend and I can't go fishing.

Still not sure on a 6, 7, or 8 wt lol. I want something heavy enough for bass and redfish but also something that I could go after river bass since my parents still live near Whitney and of course the Brazos below the lake can be a lot of fun to fish.

I like the idea of using a lower wt rod and feeling the play of the fish more. I think what I will for sure do is get a reel like the Waterworks-Lamson Liquid where I can get a 3 pack of spools and be able to try some different fly lines for different situations as I go.

Last edited by ben_beyer; 10/19/17 02:45 AM.
Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12470711 10/19/17 01:53 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
It's hard to get just one rod to do all you want. I haven't been able to do it.

Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12471027 10/19/17 01:25 PM
C
centex7 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I tried the one rod approach for a couple of years. It worked when I was just pursuing creek bass/sunfish and stocked trout. Once I wanted to start throwing bigger hair bugs and weighted flies I quickly switched to an assorted arsenal of rods. A mid weight rod 5-6wt will be useless on a windy day at the coast.

Re: Medium-Fast Action Rod for Bass/Inshore Fishing [Re: ben_beyer] #12471147 10/19/17 03:03 PM
B
ben_beyer Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Being able to cast with the wind on the coast is a worry and I plan on having multiple rods in the end. Just trying to figure out what my next one should be.

I'm really considering a 7wt at this time because it would still be light enough for the smaller fish to be fun (or I would think so) but also be able to cast size 4 flies on some days with wind.

The Brazos below Whitney can be windy too and there are some bigger fish there too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide