Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Opinion wanted... #12469870 10/18/17 01:33 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Relatively new to fishing from a bass boat and live closest to Lewisville and Ray Bob where I frequent most often. Been on each 4-5 times. Going out tomorrow but was wondering...

If it were you would you just stick to those two lakes to learn them as much as possible the majoroty of the time? Mix it up around the DFW?

Going out with an instructor so I thought learning seasonsl tendencies for each lake woukd benefit me greatly before I start branching out to ramdom lakes. Just a thought...?

If you can't find em wind em.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Opinion wanted... [Re: i-Fish] #12469877 10/18/17 01:36 PM
BAllen91 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I think that's a good idea for someone starting out. Learn about the patterns and study the lake you want to fish on navionics using their webapp. Get comfortable in the boat before venturing out too far.

Re: Opinion wanted... [Re: BAllen91] #12469907 10/18/17 01:55 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: BAllen91
I think that's a good idea for someone starting out. Learn about the patterns and study the lake you want to fish on navionics using their webapp. Get comfortable in the boat before venturing out too far.

As far as operating the boat and TM, Im quite comfortable. As far as fishing for bass on big water I wondered if Id be better suited by sticking with one or two lakes for the first year or so. With an exception here and there.

Re: Opinion wanted... [Re: i-Fish] #12469914 10/18/17 02:03 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Yes, I think you have a great plan. Learn to find and pattern fish on those two fisheries and you can catch them anywhere.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Opinion wanted... [Re: i-Fish] #12469937 10/18/17 02:16 PM
D
DuctsZX250 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
I would stick to just one or two lakes. A few years back I made the decision to learn my local lake and I have zero regrets. Spent a lot of time simply studying maps and graphing the lake and success did not happen overnight. I now have a lake I can be fishing 20 minutes after I roll out of my driveway and typically catch a fair amount of fish each time out.

Sure makes the trip home much better after a long day on the water as well.

Re: Opinion wanted... [Re: i-Fish] #12469941 10/18/17 02:18 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If you really want to excel on a lake then target just that lake until you have mastered it. Your learning curve will then be shorten for the next lake you choose. There are a few good instructional teachers here on the TFF that can help you. I do mapping and give you what I believe to be the best 20 spots on the lake through my mapping work. I will be glad to help you.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Opinion wanted... [Re: Donald Harper] #12469990 10/18/17 02:47 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
If you really want to excel on a lake then target just that lake until you have mastered it. Your learning curve will then be shorten for the next lake you choose. There are a few good instructional teachers here on the TFF that can help you. I do mapping and give you what I believe to be the best 20 spots on the lake through my mapping work. I will be glad to help you.

Great. Thanks Donald. Im actually going out with Biggs tomorrow. Been out with him two times previously and its been well worth it. May take you up on the mapping in order to help me become better at that myself.

Re: Opinion wanted... [Re: i-Fish] #12470195 10/18/17 05:28 PM
TBassYates Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Hope you don't mind a little advice. When learning a lake that you go to a lot do yourself a favor and learn different ramps and parts of the lake to launch from. I did this on a few lakes that I fished frequently because there were a lot of days because of the weather that people would tell me I was crazy for going out. When you get to learning some lakes you will also learn the best places to launch and fish from when weather dictates what you can do. I would check the forecast on a day I was going fishing and if there were 20 to 30 mile south winds I would know what ramp to lauch from and maybe some protected coves or area's I could still fish. I spent a lot of time on Ray Hubbard since it was close to home and once the weather was in the upper 30's, overcast with a Northeast wind around 30 mph. My girlfriend at the time thought I was crazy. I went to Chandlers Landing and launched and never left the marina for 4 hours and had a blast working on my finesse jig fishing. Even surprised myself by catching two decent 3 to 4 lb fish on an inside bend of the rocks. I went fishing a lot of times that most people stayed home just by getting to know places to launch and be protected under extreme weather conditions.

[Linked Image]
Re: Opinion wanted... [Re: i-Fish] #12470211 10/18/17 05:46 PM
J
jfdawson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Join a bass club. For instance, The McKinney Bass Club is a partner draw format where we pair you up with a non-boater each month ( each tournament ) entry fee is $40/ tournament. We fish Lewisville and Ray Roberts, plus some lakes east, west, and south. IMO, you will get a lot of experience fishing multiple lakes, seasonal patterns, and learn from your partners.

If not MBC, I would consider several of the other bass clubs like Ray Hubbard, Colony, Celina. All are close proximity.

Re: Opinion wanted... [Re: jfdawson] #12470408 10/18/17 08:54 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: jfdawson
Join a bass club. For instance, The McKinney Bass Club is a partner draw format where we pair you up with a non-boater each month ( each tournament ) entry fee is $40/ tournament. We fish Lewisville and Ray Roberts, plus some lakes east, west, and south. IMO, you will get a lot of experience fishing multiple lakes, seasonal patterns, and learn from your partners.

If not MBC, I would consider several of the other bass clubs like Ray Hubbard, Colony, Celina. All are close proximity.

Awesome. Thanks. I live in Mckinney.

Re: Opinion wanted... [Re: TBassYates] #12470409 10/18/17 08:55 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: TBassYates
Hope you don't mind a little advice. When learning a lake that you go to a lot do yourself a favor and learn different ramps and parts of the lake to launch from. I did this on a few lakes that I fished frequently because there were a lot of days because of the weather that people would tell me I was crazy for going out. When you get to learning some lakes you will also learn the best places to launch and fish from when weather dictates what you can do. I would check the forecast on a day I was going fishing and if there were 20 to 30 mile south winds I would know what ramp to lauch from and maybe some protected coves or area's I could still fish. I spent a lot of time on Ray Hubbard since it was close to home and once the weather was in the upper 30's, overcast with a Northeast wind around 30 mph. My girlfriend at the time thought I was crazy. I went to Chandlers Landing and launched and never left the marina for 4 hours and had a blast working on my finesse jig fishing. Even surprised myself by catching two decent 3 to 4 lb fish on an inside bend of the rocks. I went fishing a lot of times that most people stayed home just by getting to know places to launch and be protected under extreme weather conditions.

Great advice. Thanks.

Re: Opinion wanted... [Re: i-Fish] #12470505 10/18/17 10:55 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You man to go out with is James Biggs. He is a great teacher as I mentioned above.
Cell: 817-637-2590

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Opinion wanted... [Re: Donald Harper] #12470552 10/18/17 11:55 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
You man to go out with is James Biggs. He is a great teacher as I mentioned above.
Cell: 817-637-2590

Ive been with him twice and am hittingh Lewisville with him tomorrow. He is the man!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide