Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,947
Posts13,956,194
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Maybe superstition isn't so bad - who knows except the fish?! #12464478 10/13/17 07:18 PM
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
superstition - a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation

I must admit that I indulge in a bit of superstition when it comes to lure choice. A tried & true lure speaks for itself in the numbers of fish caught over time. The skirted jig & trailer are one of my best bass lures, no question, but what about skirt and trailer color, trailer design and skirt fullness? Years ago when only living rubber was the only skirt material, I opted for solid black and black/blue but never white. Not too many years ago I noticed that anglers reported in BASS magazine the use of white skirts and trailers. To this day I have no desire to use white - a superstition on my part.

But then comes along a skirt jig tyers dream - silicone skirts in more colors than you can imagine, in more patterns and flake colors. Goodbye black! and just another superstition that one skirt material is or could be superior to the other that if I remember correctly caught large numbers of bass. As usual, the confidence factor is a big one - no confidence in a lure = no fish caught on it (unless your buddy slays them with it). And though we have confidence in a lure and opt to believe the reasons it catches fish, doesn't mean those reasons are valid, such as skirted jigs represent crawfish to bass (though not in white).

As a lure-ologist - one who dissects which lure designs do well and why based only on design and maybe color factors, I don't dwell on a fish's IQ (which is zero) as to why it strikes. As I posted recently, fish are reactive when sense overload is achieved by certain lure attributes. I don't care what the lure is or how it moves as long as it provokes a fish to bite and maybe bite multiple times until getting hooked (IE a fish that's on speed!) Natural looking is just another superstition many believe is appreciated by fish that don't know natural from supernatural and almost always tend to strike unnatural looking and moving lures. But what is it that causes them to strike? That's where trial & error proves once and for all those that claim to be great and those lures that are. No superstition there!

But even then, I still have preferences when it comes to specific colors for specific lure designs and need not look further - unless of course I need to prove most colors work for a design. In that case, I'll cast many colors in one lure type once I'm on fish just to prove that action speaks louder than color. About twenty years ago I got into smallmouth bass big time in one section of river and I had with me willow leaf spinnerbaits of different skirt colors. ALL colors CAUGHT FISH! in fact all thirty or so. I repeated the experiment for largemouth in another lake and again all colors worked for over twenty bass in shallow water in Oct.

Here is my superstition when it comes to certain soft plastics. When casting minnow shaped lures, I can't go wrong with translucent water melon with black and gold flakes. Pearl is also acceptable. But then again so is solid pink and solid or translucent chartreuse anything but black. Strange since I have caught many bass using black Mr Twister grubs. But one thing about having confidence in a lure is that I seem to unconsciously impart a special action to a lure that has caught hundreds of fish of different species. It seems the rational mind ignores all the reasons or superstitions I have for using the lure, but part of my brain instructs my hand to work it just right regardless.

Nice that fish have no clue why we cast lures just as long as they have no reason - period!

Re: Maybe superstition isn't so bad - who knows except the fish?! [Re: SenkoSam] #12464489 10/13/17 07:26 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Here's my boat/fishing superstition:

NO BANANAS ON MY BOAT!!

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Maybe superstition isn't so bad - who knows except the fish?! [Re: SenkoSam] #12465098 10/14/17 05:31 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Good one! Mine is - no snakes in my boat!!

Re: Maybe superstition isn't so bad - who knows except the fish?! [Re: SenkoSam] #12465334 10/14/17 02:19 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Nice read. Thanks for sharing.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide