I posted this on another thread about Bass eating other species of fish besides the Shad. I truly believe it is a mistake just to gear up with shad baits when Fall arrives and the bait is moving to the backs of the coves. True the Bass are always following the bait; but they also have other interest more valuable than eating Shad all the time.
This is my take on what Bass are looking for:
- They eat Shad and follow them all year.
- The Bass are there; they are only eating what the Pray Fish that are chasing Shad are wounding.
- They are eating all the other species that are there like Blue Gill, Sand Bass, Crappie and Perch.
- Bass do not like the erratic behavior of all these species as they are crazy after the shad.
- Bass are always keyed in on this kind of behavior by other fish and it is a delight for them to deal with them.
- Try throwing baits like a swim jig or blade jig that mimics the other species of Pray Fish.
- Good colors are: Fire Tiger tuned toward the Blue Gill - Yellow Perch with strands of yellow/Black/Hologram - The Sand Bass and Crappie skirts are hit offs of the shad patterns of white/hologram. Just pick one with a dark color in the pattern like Purple or Watermelon glitter.
- Crayfish are present now as their spawn is beginning. Read my article on "Chasing Crayfish". Match the Texas Craws with your jig skirts and mimic the fleeing action with a Blade jig in the same colors.
Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success. www.eletewater.com
- Staying Hydratedwww.lakeoviachic.com
- Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic