Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Selling to a cash buyer? #12459314 10/09/17 06:27 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
First timer here on the selling end. I financed my boat and the potential buyer is paying cash. How does that typically work with the pay-off and transfer of ownership? Thanks for any help.

If you can't find em wind em.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: i-Fish] #12459333 10/09/17 06:45 PM
bigcat85 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
You both go to your bank and get it taken care of. Fill out all texas parks and wildlife paperwork to transfer titles.

Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: i-Fish] #12459350 10/09/17 06:55 PM
S
sktr300zx Offline
Angler
Angler
S
make sure to get all the TPWD papers done correctly!! its ALMOST as important and the CASH!!!!

CLASSIC HOMES by Kevin Stanley
"Building To Turn Your Dreams Into Reality" your Lake Country Hands on Builder
Mineola, Texas
(903)-571-1560
Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: bigcat85] #12459360 10/09/17 07:00 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: bigcat85
You both go to your bank and get it taken care of. Fill out all texas parks and wildlife paperwork to transfer titles.

Where can I get information on the TPWD paperwork? I don't recall doing any of that when I bought the boat. Just signed a few things from the lender.

Also, my financing was not done locally. They are based out of Ohio.

Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: i-Fish] #12459367 10/09/17 07:02 PM
96speed Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/

Call your financing company, explain the situation, and have them instruct you on what to do.

Female drivers = No survivors
Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: 96speed] #12459390 10/09/17 07:14 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: 96speed
https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/

Call your financing company, explain the situation, and have them instruct you on what to do.

Copy that. I have a certificate (card) from TPWD for the boat. You're saying I need one for the motor as well before I can then transfer them to the buyer? Do I need the previous owner's assistance in getting this title from TPWD or, since they already have record of me being the new owner, will the motor titling be easily done without the previous owner?

Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: i-Fish] #12459420 10/09/17 07:30 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Whoever financed your boat has the titles to the boat, motor and trailer. If your buyer is paying cash he's going to want to make sure those titles are transferred to his name at the same time he pays. So basically he's going to pay off your boat while it's still in your name and then have your FI send off the paper work to you to do the sign off to your buyer. Being as your FI is in another state it's going to be a ticklish situation. I would contact them and get all the details so you can inform your buyer what has to happen and hopefully it's not a deal breaker. I bought a boat in another state once but the seller had a clear title and I had cash so we filled out the paper work in the front seat of my truck and all I had to do was go to TP&W in Garland and do the title work. I don't envy your situation but wish you luck.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12459436 10/09/17 07:42 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Whoever financed your boat has the titles to the boat, motor and trailer. If your buyer is paying cash he's going to want to make sure those titles are transferred to his name at the same time he pays. So basically he's going to pay off your boat while it's still in your name and then have your FI send off the paper work to you to do the sign off to your buyer. Being as your FI is in another state it's going to be a ticklish situation. I would contact them and get all the details so you can inform your buyer what has to happen and hopefully it's not a deal breaker. I bought a boat in another state once but the seller had a clear title and I had cash so we filled out the paper work in the front seat of my truck and all I had to do was go to TP&W in Garland and do the title work. I don't envy your situation but wish you luck.

Lol. I reckon I'd rather be the seller instead of the buyer in this situation.

Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: i-Fish] #12459468 10/09/17 07:59 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I'm sure this has been done many times before and if your FI is up to date on these types of transactions it should go OK but do contact them and get full details of how this needs to go down so you can be totally transparent with him. Hope it goes good for you, you're going to learn a lot in this process.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12459520 10/09/17 08:33 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I'm sure this has been done many times before and if your FI is up to date on these types of transactions it should go OK but do contact them and get full details of how this needs to go down so you can be totally transparent with him. Hope it goes good for you, you're going to learn a lot in this process.

Thanks. The buyer suggested giving me the equity that I have in the boat in cash while he will wire the payoff amount to my lender to satisfy the loan. Assuming he and I both fill out the proper paperwork when we meet (bill of sale, DL#, get insurance information, address, etc.) - does that sound like a suitable situation?

Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: i-Fish] #12459538 10/09/17 08:45 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: i-Fish

Thanks. The buyer suggested giving me the equity that I have in the boat in cash while he will wire the payoff amount to my lender to satisfy the loan. Assuming he and I both fill out the proper paperwork when we meet (bill of sale, DL#, get insurance information, address, etc.) - does that sound like a suitable situation?

Risky on his part but if he's willing. I still recommend calling your lender and get them involved. Could save you and your buyer a lot of legal issues. Bear in mind there is some interest on the loan that will be dissolved with a cash payoff and that needs to be settled with your lender to get an exact payoff. Also your buyer will have to pay sales tax on the agreed purchase price and if you try and cheat to save money you WILL get caught. Ask me how I know, lol. Lots of questions to be answered on this deal. Do yourself a favor, make the call.

Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12459546 10/09/17 08:49 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: i-Fish

Risky on his part but if he's willing. I still recommend calling your lender and get them involved. Could save you and your buyer a lot of legal issues. Bear in mind there is some interest on the loan that will be dissolved with a cash payoff and that needs to be settled with your lender to get an exact payoff. Also your buyer will have to pay sales tax on the agreed purchase price and if you try and cheat to save money you WILL get caught. Ask me how I know, lol. Lots of questions to be answered on this deal. Do yourself a favor, make the call.

All they could tell me was that the loan had to be satisfied in order for the transfer of titles to be made. Wasn't all that helpful.

Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: i-Fish] #12459547 10/09/17 08:49 PM
ssmith Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
it be a ssfer deal if you both went to your lender an paid it off an got your equity too many things can go wrong when you are depending on someone else to take care of your business.

Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: i-Fish] #12459550 10/09/17 08:50 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
And he'd be taking the boat, I assume, after giving me my equity in cash. So there is risk on both ends. I'm letting him take the boat (provided he has insurance already) and he's giving me some cash before he wires the payoff amount the following day or so.

Re: Selling to a cash buyer? [Re: i-Fish] #12459553 10/09/17 08:51 PM
Curtbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
No way!!!!! Money needs to be wired to payoff loan FIRST!!! TITLES mailed to You with Banks Lien Release signed off. Then he receives titles when he comes to you & pays equity, & you both fill out the TPWD forms 143 & 144. & then he leaves with boat. This insures He has proof trail if you back out & HE has clear/no lien Titles, YOU recieve your cash equity & proof that loan is cleared. Then proper title transfer at TPWD can occur. Sounds like he's a reasonable buyer & has some knowledge of how FI's work. You should get TPWD FORM 143 Vessel/Boat Application AND TPWD Form 144 Outboard Motor Application & have them ready when he comes to pay you & pickup boat. Each form has full instructions. Read them. Easy Peasy. If questions arise call TPWD.
I wouldn't let boat go until lien is paid off & clear titles are in hand. Too many things can go wrong. Example: He pays you cash equity, takes boat to lake, blows up motor, crashes boat ,etc. . Then backs out losing cash to you, but you still have a lien on a blown up motor or crashed boat. He CANT insure a Boat that's NOT in his name.

Last edited by Curtbass; 10/09/17 09:49 PM.

ELITE POWER SYSTEMS/ Elite Fishing Products
Lithium Battery & Charging Systems, Soft Plastics, Tackle,Tokyo Rigs
Tight lines & stay safe out there.Gods blessings
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide