Forums59
Topics1,039,309
Posts13,962,681
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: Tiltedtitan] #12457612 10/08/17 10:17 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Tiltedtitan
Funny thing is, I have a Skeeter.
me too....

My wife thinks it's the most hillybilly name on the planet.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: grout-scout] #12457654 10/08/17 12:02 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: John Peebles
Years ago we took up a collection at a BFL tourney on T-Bend for two men that died because their boat went under while practicing for the tournament in February. They were not in a Ranger. I like to come home to my family after a day of fishing, I drive a Ranger.

Out of curiosity... In those ranger commercials, do you see any parts of the hull missing thats actually UNDER the water or are the little missing pieces above the water?

Yes, there are holes under the water. And yes, all foam filled high end boats like skeeter, Phoenix and Bass Cat etc will do exactly the same as a Ranger. Float if there is a hole. It's a Marketing gimmick that preyed on the uninformed and worked very well in selling a lot of boats. Kudos to Ranger. They make a good product and have a very clever marketing team.

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: Tiltedtitan] #12457760 10/08/17 02:50 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Here is a good video from Ranger. Back in the 80's Barber Boats off Harry Hines in Dallas was the Ranger Distributor for the area. Ray Barber had some kind of brother in law deal with Forrest Wood and controlled most of the Ranger distribution to all the Ark-La-Tex dealers. Rumor has it that Forrest suffered a fire at the factory up in Flippin and it wiped them out. Ray Barber loaned him money to rebuild but asked for some sort of distribution rights for a long period of time.

They would always set up their booth at the Dallas Boat Show with a swimming pool. They would have a new fully rigged Ranger floating in it. Some of you older guys may recall seeing it. They always had thir booth immediately as you walked into the main entrance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCRtBO6meAU

Ranger pioneered this back in the '70's but now nearly all of the premier boat companies now offer "positive upright level flotation"

Last edited by Ken A.; 10/08/17 02:56 PM.

Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: Tiltedtitan] #12457799 10/08/17 03:43 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Didn't think you were that old Ken, lol. In the early 80's I went into Barber Boats thinking about buying a new boat. Their showroom was spectacular as were the boats. Couldn't get over how pretty and shiny they were being a bass boat. The salesmen were very dignified and kinda uppity. I felt like I was in Tiffany's looking at a 5 carat diamond. Found out real quick I couldn't afford one and the salesman verified it with a rolled eye. Eventually I was able to afford one and it was shiny and pretty just like the ones at Barber Boats. They were and still are great boats.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: Tiltedtitan] #12458287 10/08/17 10:52 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Well, that wasnt the boat that I remember seeing; but that one most certainly did have holes cut into it!

Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12458412 10/08/17 11:58 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Didn't think you were that old Ken, lol. In the early 80's I went into Barber Boats thinking about buying a new boat. Their showroom was spectacular as were the boats. Couldn't get over how pretty and shiny they were being a bass boat. The salesmen were very dignified and kinda uppity. I felt like I was in Tiffany's looking at a 5 carat diamond. Found out real quick I couldn't afford one and the salesman verified it with a rolled eye. Eventually I was able to afford one and it was shiny and pretty just like the ones at Barber Boats. They were and still are great boats.

They were one of my customers Ronnie. I sold tackle to their tackle store and all the other tackle shops in the State of Texas.

And I recall many of the sales guys at that store. They did kind of have that "If you have to ask you can't afford it" attitude in there.

Rick Barber, Ray's son was the manager. I wonder what happened to him. He seemed to like to party hard. Hope he is still around and healthy.

Last edited by Ken A.; 10/09/17 12:00 AM.

Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: Ken A.] #12458472 10/09/17 12:34 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

They were one of my customers Ronnie. I sold tackle to their tackle store and all the other tackle shops in the State of Texas.

And I recall many of the sales guys at that store. They did kind of have that "If you have to ask you can't afford it" attitude in there.

Rick Barber, Ray's son was the manager. I wonder what happened to him. He seemed to like to party hard. Hope he is still around and healthy.

Stop it, you're starting to amaze me.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12458501 10/09/17 12:52 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Stop it, you're starting to amaze me.

You are easily amazed Ronnie. I just have a good memory. wink

Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12458513 10/09/17 12:59 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
But if speed is your main reason to buy a bass boat let me recommend Allison/Mercury.

Allison/Mercury is like Superman. Faster then a speeding Bullet...

Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: Tiltedtitan] #12458671 10/09/17 03:08 AM
J
JBM 3 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Why attack Rangers
Are they not great boats

Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: JBM 3] #12458759 10/09/17 11:03 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: JBM 3
Why attack Rangers
Are they not great boats

Ranger's are great boats as are Bass Cat, Skeeter, Phoenix, Legend etc. It's more a matter of preference just like in cars and trucks. The dealer is just as important as the boat in my opinion.

Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: JBM 3] #12458853 10/09/17 01:02 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: JBM 3
Why attack Rangers
Are they not great boats

All are great boats. It is just poking fun. A name is a name, is a name. The "Lead Sled" is a great boat.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12458859 10/09/17 01:11 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
I recently fished from a big Phoenix, very nice, very impressive. I'm a die hard bug boat owner, more than likely will remain that way.. Ken is running a particular brand of boat longer than normal, with BPS acquiring said brand, is it time for a change..? grin

Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: tmd11111] #12459131 10/09/17 03:51 PM
T-racer @ Mallard Marine Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: tmd11111
But if speed is your main reason to buy a bass boat let me recommend Allison/Mercury.

Allison/Mercury is like Superman. Faster then a speeding Bullet...

I know a few Bullets that will outrun an Allison... banana

Mallard Marine Nacogdoches, Tx
936-225-3244 - Authorized Sales/Service
Mercury Outboards - Allison Boats
Re: Terminology question... why do some people called boats bugs? [Re: Kay Dyson] #12459148 10/09/17 04:08 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
I recently fished from a big Phoenix, very nice, very impressive. I'm a die hard bug boat owner, more than likely will remain that way.. Ken is running a particular brand of boat longer than normal, with BPS acquiring said brand, is it time for a change..? grin

If I were to buy a new boat I would be torn on which one to buy. So many good ones out there now.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide