Forums59
Topics1,037,798
Posts13,934,681
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements #12454140 10/05/17 04:00 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Decided to throw my money down on this upocoming fishin for freedom tournament. I used to do ALOT of bass fishing, had all the BASS subscriptions, watched jimmy, Hank, bill, roland,
kevin, all the old school bass majicians.

ive done plenty of crappie fishing on belton, but not any bassin.
I have been doing a little prefishing and scouting and im seeing that the same dynamics that happen for the crappie happen for other gamefish.
When there is alot of influx into belton from the rains coming in on the north end of the lake, and the water gets muddy, the fish move to mid lake and south. when the water is stable and not trashed, the fish want to be more midlake and north for 2 primary reasons. one, most of the nutrients come in on the north end of the lake thru the creeks and river, and 2, there is primarily a south wind that blows plankton towards the north end. (the wind comes out of the south and blows north).
Right now the south end of the lake is very clear and sparse of baitfish and gamefish, and I see much. much more life at mid to north lake. Im going to eliminate abt half of the lake based soley on what I observed yesterday.
I may not catch many fish some days, but will never fish twice where no fish are living.
I also think that for the most part, even though it is officially fall, we are still in a late summer pattern. I consider it fall, when cool fronts that drop the temps 10 to 15 degrees come thru, or when night time temps near the 50s. Once this happens the baitfish will start moving deeper as well as the gamefish and the feed windows will get shorter but more aggressive.
any constructive comments advice for bass on belton welcomed.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: leanin post] #12454182 10/05/17 04:21 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Not just on Belton; but any lake that gets muddy. I like to stay just inside that mud line. I go as shallow as I can get in this heavy stained water. I find they are much easier to fool with the right spinner bait.

I just don't believe fish move because of the muddy water. They just take some time to acclimate to it and you have to figure out what they are doing.

Last edited by Donald Harper; 10/05/17 04:23 PM.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: leanin post] #12454187 10/05/17 04:25 PM
C
coachallentca Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
A lot of times Fish for freedom is won way up north. Gary Klein fishes it and does up north. He likes the muddy water.

Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: leanin post] #12454269 10/05/17 05:15 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Bass often live/feed with crappie. Don't be afraid to fish your crappie holes with bass techniques. If it were me, I'd concentrate on offshore structure. And Donald is right, not all fish move when the water muddies up. They sometimes just need to get acclimated. Belton is weird lake, that's for sure.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: leanin post] #12454308 10/05/17 05:47 PM
T Bird Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
No entry fee tourn. $20 optional big bass pot.

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: coachallentca] #12454665 10/05/17 10:51 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: coachallentca
A lot of times Fish for freedom is won way up north. Gary Klein fishes it and does up north. He likes the muddy water.

I know he loves spinnerbaits. I ordered some french blades and am going to change out the willow leaf blades on my spinnerbaits. many people use the mepps aglia for white bass and the reason they work so well is the french blade. the french blade makes a very unique pulsating action, that displaces alot of water. I think belton gets alot of pressure and maybe just little variations could make a difference in getting a bite or not.

Last edited by leanin post; 10/05/17 11:07 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: leanin post] #12454738 10/06/17 12:07 AM
T
Texasdeepv Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Ive had some luck on the muddy end of Belton using a white colored spinner bait. Mostly white bass attack it pretty good. Anything north of the 36 bridge can be touch and go.

Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: leanin post] #12454931 10/06/17 02:10 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
with all of the shad that hang out near leona park and white flint in the morning I would think there would be heavy feeding in that area at least until daylight breaks. Ive seen lots off bass feeding in the morning along the bankline going into matheglin creek also, starting from the point, on the north side all the way back. lots of shad go into mc gregor park area as well, feeding on the shallow flat way in the back.
There is an old roadbed that runs all the way across mcgregor cove, that ive seen white bass stacked along, at certain times of the year.
Up from mc gregor, in between leona and mc gregor park on the east back, ive scanned thousands of bream beds with sitting bream. it wasnt springtime when I found these, and have read that bream spawn at odd times of year, maybe fall?

Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: coachallentca] #12454937 10/06/17 02:12 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: coachallentca

way up north, do u mean north of the bridge? in the river or creeks?

Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: leanin post] #12455084 10/06/17 04:19 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
There are plenty fish living in that clear water, you just have to know how to catch them wink

Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: SC-001] #12455089 10/06/17 04:26 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
There are plenty fish living in that clear water, you just have to know how to catch them wink

they must eat and hide under rocks.. haha

Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: SC-001] #12455243 10/06/17 01:11 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L

can u consistantly pattern legal bass on the south end of belton, near temple lake park, blora, the dam area , ect. ? .

Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: leanin post] #12455249 10/06/17 01:17 PM
T
texasAUtiger Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I've caught many more smallmouths on the south end in that clear water than I have largemouths.

Last edited by texasAUtiger; 10/06/17 01:17 PM.

Ranger z21
Mercury 250 ProXS
Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: leanin post] #12455311 10/06/17 02:15 PM
shotgunwilly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: leanin post

can u consistantly pattern legal bass on the south end of belton, near temple lake park, blora, the dam area , ect. ? .

Yes

The fish don't travel miles up lake to get to the north end when conditions aren't favorable for them down south. You just have to figure out how to catch them.

Re: BELTON breakdown , not mechanical, but dynamic fish movements [Re: leanin post] #12455674 10/06/17 06:08 PM
Big Kahuna Fishing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Ive done ok in the cove at live oak ridge, down by the dam,
Mostly 2-3 llbers. Creek channel that runs the left side of
with wacky rig.
Club tournament one of the members caught a 5.7 pounder
with a top water spook off of points near the Girl Scout Park.

Ive never fished the muddy area, mostly because I dont know what to throw.

Donald: What did you mean by tires ???

Living the American Dream in central Texas !
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide