Page 1 of 2 1 2
Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? #12444869 09/28/17 03:20 AM
J
JB in Ft Worth Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Anyone care to share their experience / opinion on the Garmin echoMAP 93sv? I see it at Cabela's for $800 which seems like a decent price. Is the echoMAP a newer product line than the Helix?

I currently have a Lowrance elite-7 at the console and would like to move up to something with SI capability. I will probably mount the new sonar on the console and the old Lowrance on the bow. I guess an alternative would be to mount a cheaper SI unit at the bow.

Also, I have a Minnkota Terrova with the built-in transducer. I don't think the Minnkota will connect directly to the Lowrance - I think it requires an adapter. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!
JB

Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #12445099 09/28/17 12:37 PM
J
joho5 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I have the 73sv and love it. I have a 93sv coming that I will put up at my trolling motor. The ease of menus, clear picture, and price...its hard to beat IMO.

Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #12445198 09/28/17 01:49 PM
C
Capt Craig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Just say no.

Garmin is a step down from Lowrance which is a step down from Humminbird. Garmin stole Navico's (Lowrance) down imaging technology, which is funny because Navico stole side imaging from Humminbird.

If you want the best features and abilities, Humminbird is the industry leader. Helix is much better than the EchoMap. HB provides a comparable unit that has 3 programmable buttons so you have quick access to your preferred screens, Garmin doesn't. The HB is priced at $1000. Garmin was at a $1000 and recently dropped the price making me think that they are phasing it out.

All Minn Kota TM's require an adapter to fit any sonar series.

Capt. Craig Copeland
Licensed by the US Coast Guard

2019 Nautic Star 215 XTS Shallow Bay Boat
Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
Nautic Star Boats Pro Staff (nauticstarboats.com)
Redneck Fish'n Jigs Pro Staff (redneckfishn.com)
Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #12445788 09/28/17 10:50 PM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
I've ran them all, and my favorite is Garmin. The echoMap units are bad [censored]. You won't be disappointed.

Out off all the units I've ran/used, I'd say..

1- Garmin
2- Lowrance
3- Simrad
4- Humminbird

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: Capt Craig] #12446033 09/29/17 01:46 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Capt Craig
Just say no.

Garmin is a step down from Lowrance which is a step down from Humminbird. Garmin stole Navico's (Lowrance) down imaging technology, which is funny because Navico stole side imaging from Humminbird.

If you want the best features and abilities, Humminbird is the industry leader. Helix is much better than the EchoMap. HB provides a comparable unit that has 3 programmable buttons so you have quick access to your preferred screens, Garmin doesn't. The HB is priced at $1000. Garmin was at a $1000 and recently dropped the price making me think that they are phasing it out.

All Minn Kota TM's require an adapter to fit any sonar series.

I would highly disagree, I've demoed them all, Humminbird has the best image, Garmin is 2nd and Lowrance 3rd. If you want features and abilities Lowrance is the winner that has always been their niche you can tweak all kinds of things but its not for beginners and you have to know what your doing to dial them in, Garmins image is very good right out of the box, much more user friendly and intuitive. As far as getting the most for your money Garmin wins easily, also if you not flush mounting your electronics and putting them on a ram or balzout mount garmins gimbal mount is the most durable well built of the three, birds are the worst.

Last edited by Bossbowman; 10/03/17 04:25 PM.
Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #12446192 09/29/17 02:57 AM
J
JB in Ft Worth Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
I appreciate all the responses. I'm kind of a novice, so ease of use and clear image are a plus. It's taken me a while to get the Lowrance dialed in and sometimes it still feels like a lot of guesswork. I may go down to Cabela's tomorrow and try some hands-on shopping. I don't have to make a purchase right away, but I'm going up to Texhoma in two weeks and it would be nice to try out the new electronics there.

Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #12446348 09/29/17 10:51 AM
danceswithbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The images aren't bad on the Garmins, but the user interface is pretty clunky. I bought a 73sv for the bow to use Panoptix, and I dont like the built in lake maps nearly as much as my Navionics cards (and they cant take Navionics). I have HDS touch units on the console and on my other boat, and man its hard to go non touch once you are used to it.

Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #12446371 09/29/17 11:24 AM
S
Skeeter man ZX225 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I had the Garmin 93 sv, I liked it, except for the details are not near as good as the display makes it out to be. but for me I will never go back to Garmin again. the unit has a quick release on it so you dont have to disconnect cables and unscrew anything to remove it from your boat: well that is the problem the unit at 60 MPH popped out and is at the bottom of lake Lewisville I was not even in rough water and had run the lake all morning before this happened. It is a [censored] design. I am now going to the Humminbird Mega which is the best out there right now. Good luck

Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: Skeeter man ZX225] #12446535 09/29/17 02:13 PM
J
joho5 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225
I had the Garmin 93 sv, I liked it, except for the details are not near as good as the display makes it out to be. but for me I will never go back to Garmin again. the unit has a quick release on it so you dont have to disconnect cables and unscrew anything to remove it from your boat: well that is the problem the unit at 60 MPH popped out and is at the bottom of lake Lewisville I was not even in rough water and had run the lake all morning before this happened. It is a [censored] design. I am now going to the Humminbird Mega which is the best out there right now. Good luck

I cant even hardly get mine loose...I end up cussing trying to get it off when I am done fishing and taking the unit apart.

Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #12446880 09/29/17 05:23 PM
C
Capt Craig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
The settings for Garmin, Simrad, and Lowrance are not intuitive and are more difficult to access. Their settings require much more tweaking in order to achieve the best results and require a lot of back adn forth adjustment. The available settings are fewer than HB on all of these units and the ability to access the sub-menus is more difficult.

All but HB leave the color bar off the units making it impossible to know what the available color palette has available for the softest return to the hardest echo return.

When it comes to the HB units, especially the Helix series, when units are set to my preferred standards, they are set nearly perfect. I have not been able to achieve that with any other sonar series. I have used many units and taught more than 50 students in the last 2 years and no units is as easy to get dialed in as HB.

I do agree that everyone likes and dislikes certain units and must find the one that works best for them. When assessing a unit, ignore the simulation screen! Try getting to the menus and sub-menus easily, determine what it takes to go from screen to screen, how difficult is it to mark a waypoint or alter the waypoint info. I much prefer a button unit and dislike a touchscreen as the screen gets marked up with fingerprints and smudges. Remember, you are using the unit on the water while moving and rocking, not standing still. You need to be able to go between views and screens easily and with minimum attention. If the units are not friendly enough, you spend all your time messing with it and not fishing.

Capt. Craig Copeland
Licensed by the US Coast Guard

2019 Nautic Star 215 XTS Shallow Bay Boat
Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
Nautic Star Boats Pro Staff (nauticstarboats.com)
Redneck Fish'n Jigs Pro Staff (redneckfishn.com)
Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: Capt Craig] #12447379 09/30/17 01:41 AM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
The settings for Garmin, Simrad, and Lowrance are not intuitive and are more difficult to access. Their settings require much more tweaking in order to achieve the best results and require a lot of back adn forth adjustment. The available settings are fewer than HB on all of these units and the ability to access the sub-menus is more difficult.

All but HB leave the color bar off the units making it impossible to know what the available color palette has available for the softest return to the hardest echo return.

When it comes to the HB units, especially the Helix series, when units are set to my preferred standards, they are set nearly perfect. I have not been able to achieve that with any other sonar series. I have used many units and taught more than 50 students in the last 2 years and no units is as easy to get dialed in as HB.

I do agree that everyone likes and dislikes certain units and must find the one that works best for them. When assessing a unit, ignore the simulation screen! Try getting to the menus and sub-menus easily, determine what it takes to go from screen to screen, how difficult is it to mark a waypoint or alter the waypoint info. I much prefer a button unit and dislike a touchscreen as the screen gets marked up with fingerprints and smudges. Remember, you are using the unit on the water while moving and rocking, not standing still. You need to be able to go between views and screens easily and with minimum attention. If the units are not friendly enough, you spend all your time messing with it and not fishing.

I'm not saying you are wrong, everyone has their opinions.. But I will say, out of all the brands, I found Humminbird to be the most difficult to operate. Garmin by FAR FAR the easiest... A good way to put it is, Garmin is like an iPhone, Humminbird is like an Android. The Hummnibirds have a lot of buttons to press to just do simple things. Garmin's home screen is very straight forward. Example.. Garmin : To get the nav chart, all you do is hit charts, then nav chart, and you're there. On the Humminbirds, you have to press that view/exit button 100 times until you find the chart. Big turn off to me. I like just straight forward to press the button, and my screen pops up.

OP, go play with them. They are all great. I'll admit, Humminbird has the best sonar picture. But if you are looking for ease of use and still great picture, Garmin all the way. I also like the fact that the charts are already built in instead of paying an extra $200 for a navionics card. From my experience, Humminbird also has a rather slow refresh rate on the map (laggy at high speeds.) I can run 60+ and my Garmin stays right on time with very little to no lag at all.

Last edited by dk2429; 09/30/17 01:42 AM.

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #12447981 09/30/17 09:05 PM
B
BKT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I have a Garmin echomap chirp 73sv and a Humminbird Helix. I like them both and I do think the bird gives slightly better images but like the maps and user interface of the Garmin better.

Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: Capt Craig] #12452932 10/04/17 05:13 PM
C
coachallentca Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C

Hogwash.. Garmin you can use right out of the box and NOT change any settings. I have ran all 3.. bird, Lowrance and Garmin. Garmin and Bird are easy to use right out of the box. Once you get Lowrance dialed in they are the best. I run and Garmin and before that a bird before that lowarnce.. I can show on my Garmin and will compare to any unit and I like the ease of Garmin. I like bird but with garmin I get panoptix.

Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #12454924 10/06/17 02:07 AM
D-lee Offline
Angler
Angler
I have 2 93svs for sale on the forum if ur interested

Re: Garmin echoMAP 93sv - Reviews?? [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #12454987 10/06/17 02:53 AM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: JB in Ft Worth
I appreciate all the responses. I'm kind of a novice, so ease of use and clear image are a plus. It's taken me a while to get the Lowrance dialed in and sometimes it still feels like a lot of guesswork. I may go down to Cabela's tomorrow and try some hands-on shopping. I don't have to make a purchase right away, but I'm going up to Texhoma in two weeks and it would be nice to try out the new electronics there.

JB, Feel free to give me a call direct. I would be happy to assist you if needed. I am Humminbird exclusive by choice however, I can assist you with Lowrance if you so desire. I simply do not carry Garmin. Humminbird Mega is producing some of the best images I have ever come across and the ease of navigating the settings is by far the simplest of all manufactures.

Simply. Clearly. Better.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide