Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Bike Noises #12440547 09/25/17 01:32 PM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Man. First time on my bike this past Saturday in about 2 weeks, did 57 miles, and a few big climbs. I notice some major creaking/clicking when I'm up out of the seat pedaling hard and when the bike is rocking side to side. I can't figure it out. It sounds like its coming from the front hub.

Yesterday I was going to ride, but figured I'd look into what was making the noise. I pull my front wheel off, holding the axle I give it a spin. Ehhh, it seems rougher than I'd expect it should be so I dig in. hammer

If you've never messed with a hub on a bike, it's another animal. But I tamed it. Pulled everything apart cleaned it, greased it, put it back together, still didn't seem right. So I did it all over again, and this time got it right. Smooth as butter.

But, the bike is still making noise, not as much, but its still enough to annoy me. Go back in, put a little grease in the drop-outs, I also swapped the wheels out, (to rule them out), pulled the pedals off, cleaned the threads that go into the cranks, greased them, put'em back on, and made sure every single bolt was tight. From top to bottom, front to back. Go out still creaking.

I'm about to pull my hair out. Finally, I think, all that's left is in the head tube. So I pull the stem off, and drop the fork. And what do you know, there's some real light surface rust on a few parts. Wipe that off, apply alittle grease, put it all back together, and take off. BOOM! No noise but the swoosh swoosh swoosh of the wheels. Mashing as hard as I could, silence.

So with that, if any of y'all ever need an opinion or pointers when you're messing with your bike, holla. Learned quite a bit this weekend about some stuff, I was about an inch from taking to the bike shop.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Bike Noises [Re: Nocona Brian] #12440643 09/25/17 02:42 PM
I
Indianation65 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I
The noise might be in your helmet, with wind whipping through it near your ear?!

I too have had the discomfort of annoying bike noises. I usually turn it over, reach down and pedal with my hand which allows me to find the source. I ride my trail bike much more, and I'm used to odd noises here and there. It comes with that sort of territory.

...------

Re: Bike Noises [Re: Nocona Brian] #12441134 09/25/17 07:00 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
So what value ($) do you give yourself for taking on a task like that?

Last time I was freaking out over a sound, thinking it would cost an arm and a leg. I couldn't figure it out, trying this or that. Turns out it was a C clip in the pedal area that was clicking. It cost about $10 bucks to fix. Wasn't even worth my time to think about fixing it.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Bike Noises [Re: Nocona Brian] #12441200 09/25/17 07:36 PM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
I work for pretty cheap on a lazy Sunday, but I don't think the same could be said for the bike shops around here. And I got my bike back the same day. Take it to a shop here and it's gone for at least a week, and for everything I took apart, I imagine they'd have done the same, probably at least a hundred.

Parts were practically free, although you'd pay a shop for several oz's of grease/cleaning chemicals. They'd probably want to replace all the bearings, which I'd more than likely agree to because what's better than new... So it just goes up and up.

As long as you don't lose any parts, or strip/cross thread anything, I'm learning they're not too complicated. Like a delicate puzzle.

Re: Bike Noises [Re: Nocona Brian] #12441835 09/26/17 01:35 AM
MARKIT Online Sick
TFF Guru
Online Sick
TFF Guru
mine clicks each time around, helps with rhythm

Re: Bike Noises [Re: Nocona Brian] #12442289 09/26/17 11:51 AM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian
I work for pretty cheap on a lazy Sunday, but I don't think the same could be said for the bike shops around here. And I got my bike back the same day. Take it to a shop here and it's gone for at least a week, and for everything I took apart, I imagine they'd have done the same, probably at least a hundred.

Parts were practically free, although you'd pay a shop for several oz's of grease/cleaning chemicals. They'd probably want to replace all the bearings, which I'd more than likely agree to because what's better than new... So it just goes up and up.

As long as you don't lose any parts, or strip/cross thread anything, I'm learning they're not too complicated. Like a delicate puzzle.

You always mention the bike shop charging for this or that.......either you got a shady bike shop or you need to tell them to fix the one issue and nothing else. Week for repair?

I find it hard to believe they are that slow and shady. My bike shop isn't like that...I guess I should count my blessings! NO ONE works on their own bike around here. Seriously...no one. Not even the fastest guys in town.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Bike Noises [Re: MARKIT] #12442292 09/26/17 11:53 AM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: MARKIT

Cadence. smile

Re: Bike Noises [Re: MARKIT] #12442412 09/26/17 01:18 PM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
I wouldn't say they're shady, just slow, and IMO over priced, but I understand they are running a business. Also I know the mechanics at the shop I do use, travel and race alot, (weekly) so they're in and out. In regards to the bearings being replaced, it'd go like "hey Brian, since we have all this apart, and these look to be the original bearings, you want us to go ahead and put new ones in?" I'd think most shops would do that.

Originally Posted By: MARKIT

Might be something simple like the excess cable coming out of the front derailleur hitting something.
For me, having a bike that doesn't click or anything, makes me feel everything is adjusted right, and there's no excuse for being slow other than me lol.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide