Page 1 of 2 1 2
Condition of Port A Jetties? #12438472 09/23/17 05:35 PM
M
Max_S Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I've seen photos of how Harvey carved out most of the beach around the Port A south jetty, so that just getting to it is now a long haul (unless you're willing to wade and climb rocks at the same time). However, what I can't tell from those photos or from Google Earth images is whether the jetty itself has been damaged to the point where you can't (reasonably safely) get out to the end or not. I can tell that a lot of boulders have been shifted around, but it's hard to tell from the images whether the gaps are wide enough to be basically impassable. Has anyone on the board been out there, and if so, how's the access?

Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: Max_S] #12438617 09/23/17 08:27 PM
B
basspromaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I believe it's fishable and u can get there by 4x4. I personally would fish Packery and PINS. Both have been on fire for reds Jack's and a few trout here and there. There are sharks in the second and third gut. We fished Mansfield a couple weeks ago and my buddy last weekend went out and we have totalled 28 reds, 23 sharks 6 Jack's and plenty of whitting.

Politicians, baseball players, high-powered corporate CEO's they all seem to eventually let us down. Nature, however, does not. Look to her for inspiration and you will learn the secrets to living a good life. The most Important lesson it would seem is to make sure you spend as much time fishing as anything else.
Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: Max_S] #12438618 09/23/17 08:28 PM
B
basspromaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
In those 2 trips

Politicians, baseball players, high-powered corporate CEO's they all seem to eventually let us down. Nature, however, does not. Look to her for inspiration and you will learn the secrets to living a good life. The most Important lesson it would seem is to make sure you spend as much time fishing as anything else.
Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: basspromaster] #12438747 09/23/17 09:52 PM
M
Max_S Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I wasn't asking so much about whether you can get to the start of the jetty as whether the damage to it was such that you couldn't get out to the end. Is the end of the Port A jetty still a doable walk, or are the boulders washed out?

Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: Max_S] #12442829 09/26/17 05:52 PM
J
Jetty Ratz Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
I was hoping to have more information about the jetties myself. Their is a group of us guys, from Oklahoma, that come down to fish the jetties every October. We are supposed to be coming down in a few weeks but aren't sure what to do. We would definitely be willing to help in any way we could while we were in town, but would like to know if we would be able to get to the end of the jetties to do a little fishing too. Any information would be much appreciated.

Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: Jetty Ratz] #12443201 09/26/17 10:14 PM
U
uncle_bagster Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
U
Originally Posted By: Jetty Ratz
I was hoping to have more information about the jetties myself. Their is a group of us guys, from Oklahoma, that come down to fish the jetties every October. We are supposed to be coming down in a few weeks but aren't sure what to do. We would definitely be willing to help in any way we could while we were in town, but would like to know if we would be able to get to the end of the jetties to do a little fishing too. Any information would be much appreciated.

It's hard to get any information about anything. Looks like they would be looking for tourist dollars, but evidentially not.

Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: Max_S] #12443219 09/26/17 10:37 PM
G
Glitchmo Offline
Angler
Angler
G
The current google maps images are post-hurricane (major erosion along the beach, damage to various structures throughout town) and show what looks like damage to parts of the jetty, but it seems like it's at least still there.

You could use google earth to compare before/after shots to get a better idea.

Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: Max_S] #12443246 09/26/17 11:14 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
it's pretty good. some dangerous spots.
saw 3 guys on the end of s. jetty saturday evening when I was coming in on the Pelican
lots of good reports & bait is abundant

[Linked Image]
Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: uncle_bagster] #12443800 09/27/17 02:03 PM
M
Max_S Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster

It's hard to get any information about anything. Looks like they would be looking for tourist dollars, but evidentially not.

I talked to someone on another board who lives down there, and looked at some recent photos. Basically, the section of beach of the south of the jetty is scoured out, so you can no longer park on the beach to walk there. People are accessing it by parking further up the concrete boardwalk behind the dunes. Once you get there, apparently you can still walk out there. I may go check it out next week before/after a trip with Deep Sea HQ.

Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: lite-liner] #12443805 09/27/17 02:07 PM
M
Max_S Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: lite-liner
it's pretty good. some dangerous spots.
saw 3 guys on the end of s. jetty saturday evening when I was coming in on the Pelican
lots of good reports & bait is abundant

That's what I heard on 2coolfishing from one of the locals. How did you do on the Pelican - I was wondering if they were able to get enough people for their shorter trips to make? Did you go on their 12 hr trip? I'm thinking of going next Saturday or the week after.

Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: Max_S] #12444074 09/27/17 05:03 PM
J
Jetty Ratz Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Thank you for all the great updates. Definitely sounds more promising than I originally thought. We typically take backpacks to the end and fish from daylight to dark so really wouldn't be in anyone's way. I'll let all the guys know and hope to be down in a couple weeks. Please keep the post coming with any updates. Stay Strong.

Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: Jetty Ratz] #12444421 09/27/17 09:30 PM
U
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
U
Thank you for all the great updates. Definitely sounds more promising than I originally thought. We typically take backpacks to the end and fish from daylight to dark so really wouldn't be in anyone's way. I'll let all the guys know and hope to be down in a couple weeks. Please keep the post coming with any updates. Stay Strong.

I was planning trip sometimes next month. Do you have any information on places to stay?

Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: uncle_bagster] #12445221 09/28/17 02:10 PM
M
Max_S Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I think that pretty much all of the motels in Port Aransas had water damage from the storm surge and are still gutting their carpet, drywall, etc (one that I often stayed at, Amelia's Landing, even has some youtube videos posted of their work in progress). Perhaps some of the locals can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've heard the closest places to stay would be in Corpus Christi.

Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: Max_S] #12445728 09/28/17 09:41 PM
U
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
U
Here's a list of what's open or not. I'd say if a guy was planning a fishing trip, he'd better take along his own bed.

http://www.portasouthjetty.com/news/2017-09-28/Island_Life/More_businesses_report_reopen.html

Re: Condition of Port A Jetties? [Re: Max_S] #12446317 09/29/17 05:44 AM
L
Lindsey Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I fish the flats on either side of 361 between AP and Port A. I have a reservation that I made after the hurricane with Microtel Inn. They had minimal damage. It's a good, clean facility with quick access too the island. For kayakers, it's a 5 minute drive or less to your launch area of choice. There are a few hotels open on the island if you must stay there. Be careful driving around though. Still lots of screws/nails/sharp objects on the ground. Take a couple of cans of Fix a Flat and an air pump along with a good spare and a jack. But you can definitely stay there, and they are dying for you to come spend money.

I'm not a chick.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide