Forums59
Topics1,039,183
Posts13,960,502
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: C.Seymour] #12439368 09/24/17 02:37 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: huntfish45
Bass anglers are historically protective of the species and sport, will buy the newest greatest gadgets/clothes that come out every year. Yet, extremely reluctant to try tweaking some things to reduce mortality hammer

You have no idea what your talking about.
Bass anglers buy new boats that have better live wells than a commercial aquarium. We add o2 pumps, vents for air circulation, additives that calm the fish and heal wounds they might have.
If anything the disconnect is with the tournaments weigh ins. Most have a guy stand in line with the fish in a plastic bag with minimal water, weigh the fish then have the contestant go dump them in shallow dirty water at the ramp. If there is a place that raises the mortality it is at the weigh in.
There is a great and easy fix to this. Have a couple boats ready at the weigh in sight to take the fish out to deeper clean water to release. A couple hundred yards out into the lake would be a huge improvement and give fish a fighting chance.
Tournament directors and contestants are in too much of a hurry for good fish care at weigh in.
Have contestants keep fish in live wells until they can be weighed quickly. Then carry them out to deep clean water.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: Easy Fisherman] #12439374 09/24/17 02:41 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
based on my observations,two things we should remember......one pair of spawning bass can probably produce enough offspring to replenish 10 times the number of fish lost each year to tournament mortality.....and.....more importantly,most lakes have had heavy tournament pressure (and tournament mortality)for 40 plus years yet the fishing is as good or better now than it ever has been...

Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: Easy Fisherman] #12439392 09/24/17 02:53 PM
bobrfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I fish with the Lake Fork Anglers Bass Club (http://www.bassfin.com/2a-lake-fork-anglers.html) which only has paper tournaments. We use a Draw Format to counter the possibility of cheating. I have also fished several circuits through the years that used CPR, Catch, Photograph on Length Board, and Release. These all use a five fish limit and should have as close to a 0% Mortality as possible. I also fish most open tournaments that are held on Lake Fork that use the traditional model.

As to the 60% Tournament Mortality figure, TP&W held a tournament on Lake Fork several (10-15) Years ago that was to determine what Tournament Mortality might be in a Bass Tournament. For this Event the Slot Rule was SUSPENDED for the tournament anglers for that day only. Anglers were given detailed instructions on fish care and provided live well treatment. The tournament was held the week after the Sealy Tournament in the fall.

Fish brought in by anglers were placed in large nets suspended under the Hwy 154 bridge. AS I REMEMBER there was 100% survival AT WEIGH IN. A Control Group was Electro-Shocked and placed in a identical net under the HWY 154 bridge. The fish stayed in the nets I BELIEVE for two weeks and then results were tabulated.

I watched news media for the results and finally found a small article on Tp&W's web site. AS I REMEMBER the control group mortality was low, The Tournament Fish Mortality was around 60%.

This all comes from my memory which fades with time but I was astonished to see no reaction from TP&W or Fishermen to these results.

I'm concerned that a required change to all MLF or CPR methods would effectively end tournament fishing.

STUMPJUMPER
Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: 9094] #12439424 09/24/17 03:31 PM
C.Seymour Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: 9094
Originally Posted By: huntfish45
Bass anglers are historically protective of the species and sport, will buy the newest greatest gadgets/clothes that come out every year. Yet, extremely reluctant to try tweaking some things to reduce mortality hammer

You have no idea what your talking about.
Bass anglers buy new boats that have better live wells than a commercial aquarium. We add o2 pumps, vents for air circulation, additives that calm the fish and heal wounds they might have.
If anything the disconnect is with the tournaments weigh ins. Most have a guy stand in line with the fish in a plastic bag with minimal water, weigh the fish then have the contestant go dump them in shallow dirty water at the ramp. If there is a place that raises the mortality it is at the weigh in.
There is a great and easy fix to this. Have a couple boats ready at the weigh in sight to take the fish out to deeper clean water to release. A couple hundred yards out into the lake would be a huge improvement and give fish a fighting chance.
Tournament directors and contestants are in too much of a hurry for good fish care at weigh in.
Have contestants keep fish in live wells until they can be weighed quickly. Then carry them out to deep clean water.

Never claimed to be an expert, but I've been to plenty of tournaments that guys with old boats most definitely did not have wells better than a commercial aquarium, not everyone drops that kind of cash slick. Additives and proper care definitely help a tremendous amount. I agree with your remedy options as well, wish it would happen. At the last tournament I fished one of the handlers / directors dropped two of mine about six feet onto a steel ramp, i'm sure that was just great on the fish. But I don't know what i'm talking about, so i'll just go back to reading everyone argue.

Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: bobrfishes] #12439472 09/24/17 04:09 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: bobrfishes
I fish with the Lake Fork Anglers Bass Club (http://www.bassfin.com/2a-lake-fork-anglers.html) which only has paper tournaments. We use a Draw Format to counter the possibility of cheating. I have also fished several circuits through the years that used CPR, Catch, Photograph on Length Board, and Release. These all use a five fish limit and should have as close to a 0% Mortality as possible. I also fish most open tournaments that are held on Lake Fork that use the traditional model.

As to the 60% Tournament Mortality figure, TP&W held a tournament on Lake Fork several (10-15) Years ago that was to determine what Tournament Mortality might be in a Bass Tournament. For this Event the Slot Rule was SUSPENDED for the tournament anglers for that day only. Anglers were given detailed instructions on fish care and provided live well treatment. The tournament was held the week after the Sealy Tournament in the fall.

Fish brought in by anglers were placed in large nets suspended under the Hwy 154 bridge. AS I REMEMBER there was 100% survival AT WEIGH IN. A Control Group was Electro-Shocked and placed in a identical net under the HWY 154 bridge. The fish stayed in the nets I BELIEVE for two weeks and then results were tabulated.

I watched news media for the results and finally found a small article on Tp&W's web site. AS I REMEMBER the control group mortality was low, The Tournament Fish Mortality was around 60%.

This all comes from my memory which fades with time but I was astonished to see no reaction from TP&W or Fishermen to these results.

I'm concerned that a required change to all MLF or CPR methods would effectively end tournament fishing.

So they do one control test and make the overall claim about tournaments. BS
Kind of like Climate Change science.

Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: Easy Fisherman] #12439540 09/24/17 05:07 PM
M
m.sherman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
It all goes back to what is a healthy fishery. Some fish need to die to make room for the healthy fish.
their own regulation say u can take 5 bass per day and not put them back.and the fishery will still be healthy now they r saying now we are not releasing enough back. did they make the 5 fish limit assuming no body was going to keep 5 bass a day
either we can or we cant if we can then some deaths from tourney should be more than acceptable because no body keeps 5 bass a day. Their B.S. does not add up. nothing wrong with what we r doing we all try to do the best we can
to keep our bass alive, but some die any way they could be sick and were going to die with in the next week or month any way
without being caught. Plus the fisheries should be able to handle 5 bass a day being taken out by anglers anyway
per the TPWD own studies. Don't trust TPWD.

Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: Easy Fisherman] #12439549 09/24/17 05:17 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
no one will dispute that catch and release at weigh ins causes stress but when you confine fish afterwards in a net or basket,you prevent them from slowly swimming to cooler more oxygenated water which would have increased their chances of recovery....only way you can get an accurate report on tournament released mortality is to put locators on a large sample of fish at numerous tournaments during the year and monitor the results over several months time.....
finally....common sense ought to tell everybody including fisheries biologists that tournament fishing does not hurt the bass population otherwise after 40 years of tournaments most of our heavily fished lakes would be barren of fish and our lakes are in just as good a shape as they have ever been...

Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: Easy Fisherman] #12439871 09/24/17 10:27 PM
F
fisherman2012 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Anybody saying tournament fishing doesn't hurt a lakes population of bass or the population of trophy bass should stop and think what does tournament fishing do to help the population of bass or the population of trophy bass? The less pressure and the less people messin with the fish would allow em to get bigger wouldn't it?

Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: Easy Fisherman] #12439876 09/24/17 10:30 PM
F
fisherman2012 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
And for you guys saying I would sell my boat and quit fishing if tournaments if it came to this, then why are you really fishing anyways

Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: Easy Fisherman] #12440105 09/25/17 01:03 AM
L
leethefishking Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
I will answer that since it was my statement. I fish year round fresh and salt. I bass fish because I love the competitive aspect and I love winning money. Fishing for bass just to release them wouldn't be nearly as much fun to me, therefore I wouldn't waste my time and money doing it. I would focus on fish I eat.

Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: Easy Fisherman] #12440110 09/25/17 01:07 AM
K
Kens3313 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
A lot of guys saying that back in the day they caught more fish and ate them after tournaments which is fine but they don't think about how many tournaments lakes have every weekend now days, its getting a little ridiculous. Sam rayburn may have 4 or 5 tournaments a weekend. I'm not against having tournaments I'm just saying why so many? I think the good ole paper tournaments work well. Let the fish go to live another day

Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: Easy Fisherman] #12440178 09/25/17 01:58 AM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
TPWD, like any government org, likes to point fingers at everyone else. Truth is they have probably done more harm to the lakes than any tournament orgs. their rediculous vegetation eradication programs have destroyed a multitude of habitats for fish. they allow and/or assist in destroying the vegetation in a lake... then refuse to stock the lake due to their not being enough habitat to support the fry (cypress springs, for example). I dont believe they should be pointing the finger at any other org, because 4 more are pointing back at them!! mad

Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #12440190 09/25/17 02:03 AM
M
m.sherman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
TPWD, like any government org, likes to point fingers at everyone else. Truth is they have probably done more harm to the lakes than any tournament orgs. their rediculous vegetation eradication programs have destroyed a multitude of habitats for fish. they allow and/or assist in destroying the vegetation in a lake... then refuse to stock the lake due to their not being enough habitat to support the fry (cypress springs, for example). I dont believe they should be pointing the finger at any other org, because 4 more are pointing back at them!! mad

Preach on skeeterRonnie preach on and amen

Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #12440252 09/25/17 02:42 AM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Amen

Re: Tx Park& Wildlife news release - fish deaths and tournaments [Re: Easy Fisherman] #12440338 09/25/17 03:44 AM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Live wells are a lot better now than when I started tournament fishing 1981. We had parks and wild life turning flips a time or two at Choke and Falcon during summer tournaments. I fished one on lake Corpus Christi with dead fish buy the hundreds.

Hot live wells and rough water are hard on fish.

I still think a fillet knife is the hardest thing on fish populations. Choke Canyon is an example in my opinion.

Last edited by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI; 09/25/17 03:48 AM.

Thanks, Billy
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide