Print Thread
Spawning crappie #12429649 09/17/17 05:27 AM
R
RespectTheFish Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Hello fellow crappie anglers. I had several great trips this year during the crappie spawn and made a short informative slide show over catching crappie from cattails during the spawn. I'm sure a lot of you know about catching spawning crappie in cattails but figured I would post the link below for any interested in checking it out. Thanks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0rslTgLEwd4

Clay
Re: Spawning crappie [Re: RespectTheFish] #12429749 09/17/17 01:06 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
clap

Re: Spawning crappie [Re: RespectTheFish] #12429827 09/17/17 02:15 PM
M
Mac817 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Nice and well done! thumb

I would rather die finding out there was no God than die finding out there is.
Re: Spawning crappie [Re: RespectTheFish] #12430045 09/17/17 05:23 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
good tips, I wuold rethink the water temp thing though. Crappie can start spawning in temps in the mid 50s. In my humble opinion, 57 degrees is time to start looking.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Spawning crappie [Re: leanin post] #12430088 09/17/17 06:10 PM
G
G3bassbarge Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: leanin post
good tips, I wuold rethink the water temp thing though. Crappie can start spawning in temps in the mid 50s. In my humble opinion, 57 degrees is time to start looking.

Completely correct here! Again, great video and information. On Fork, we start catching males shallow under corks when the water is 52 degrees.

Re: Spawning crappie [Re: leanin post] #12430096 09/17/17 06:22 PM
R
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Thanks for the positive feedback everybody! I'm hoping to post much more short informative slide shows and some informative on the water video to help other anglers as I learn myself. Eventually I want to make a sonar video over identifying crappie on 2D sonar and (DI/SI) when crappie are not relating to structure and look like a Christmas tree with lights on lol.

I do not disagree with the controversial statements of when the crappie spawn actually occurs. It seems the more prevailing data is that they spawn based on length of day and it has nothing to do with water temperature at all. My temperature range was taken straight from In-fisherman's crappie books....I figured their numbers based on studies would be in the ballpark but again, temperature probably is soon to be an outdated prediction. I just didn't want to even go there in a short slide show haha. I probably will go back and make a note of this information and recommendations in the description because it is good information but wasn't sure how to even begin touching upon it in a slide show. Thanks for the feedback and I will make those changes!

Last edited by Clohse; 09/17/17 06:53 PM.

Clay
Re: Spawning crappie [Re: RespectTheFish] #12430114 09/17/17 06:46 PM
R
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
What areas do ya'll typically catch your spawning crappie in? What do you look for?

I fish Fort Phantom and most folks fish the rocky banks for spawning crappie but I have had very infrequent success doing this. Cattails were very reliable producers for me last few years and nobody else even winked an eye at them the several times I went.

Clay
Re: Spawning crappie [Re: RespectTheFish] #12430179 09/17/17 07:50 PM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Clohse
Thanks for the positive feedback everybody! I'm hoping to post much more short informative slide shows and some informative on the water video to help other anglers as I learn myself. Eventually I want to make a sonar video over identifying crappie on 2D sonar and (DI/SI) when crappie are not relating to structure and look like a Christmas tree with lights on lol.

I do not disagree with the controversial statements of when the crappie spawn actually occurs. It seems the more prevailing data is that they spawn based on length of day and it has nothing to do with water temperature at all. My temperature range was taken straight from In-fisherman's crappie books....I figured their numbers based on studies would be in the ballpark but again, temperature probably is soon to be an outdated prediction. I just didn't want to even go there in a short slide show haha. I probably will go back and make a note of this information and recommendations in the description because it is good information but wasn't sure how to even begin touching upon it in a slide show. Thanks for the feedback and I will make those changes!

How do you explain what happened about 4 years ago, when we had a cold front just about every week of March and April. Every cold front would push the females back out to deep water when the water temp dropped back down to non favorable spawning conditions.

Keep in mind that time of the year, each day, the length of day light gets longer. (Majority of the fish were not spawning with the increased daylight.)

Everyone I know was still catching spawning fish the first two weeks of June.

Just sharing what I have experanced personally here in North Texas.

Think about it.

Re: Spawning crappie [Re: RespectTheFish] #12430212 09/17/17 08:31 PM
J
Jig Man Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Nothin wrong with cattails or reed beds, but they do prefer a gravel bottom in those situations... thumb

Life is Good..<><

Re: Spawning crappie [Re: RespectTheFish] #12430546 09/17/17 11:50 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
IMO, crappie move and spawn 100% in line with water temps. If the temps get right for the right amount of time they will move up. I have caught spawning females in mid February after a string of warm days and nights.

Re: Spawning crappie [Re: RespectTheFish] #12430821 09/18/17 03:33 AM
C
crope1 Offline
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
C
Originally Posted By: Clohse
Hello fellow crappie anglers. I had several great trips this year during the crappie spawn and made a short informative slide show over catching crappie from cattails during the spawn. I'm sure a lot of you know about catching spawning crappie in cattails but figured I would post the link below for any interested in checking it out. Thanks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0rslTgLEwd4
welcome to the forum!

Re: Spawning crappie [Re: RespectTheFish] #12430843 09/18/17 05:12 AM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
heres another shocker, more crappie spawn deep than shallow. you will also catch larger crappie out deeper. I whacked en this spring in 14 feet of water. males and females.
year before last I hammered them on tradinghouse in 12 feet of water, didnt find much on the banks. Several years back, I caught them in 16 feet of water, spawning on an old treeline on a point on Belton. . my general routine now is to start deep and work shallow in spawn.

Alot of wrong information gets repeated over and over thru the years, that simply is not true.
Water clarity, plankton population, water stability, moon phase are all factors in the magical spawn process.

Last edited by leanin post; 09/18/17 05:29 AM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Spawning crappie [Re: leanin post] #12431181 09/18/17 02:59 PM
A
Action_Jackson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: leanin post
heres another shocker, more crappie spawn deep than shallow. you will also catch larger crappie out deeper. I whacked en this spring in 14 feet of water. males and females.
year before last I hammered them on tradinghouse in 12 feet of water, didnt find much on the banks. Several years back, I caught them in 16 feet of water, spawning on an old treeline on a point on Belton. . my general routine now is to start deep and work shallow in spawn.

Alot of wrong information gets repeated over and over thru the years, that simply is not true.
Water clarity, plankton population, water stability, moon phase are all factors in the magical spawn process.

If that's the case I need to go out with you during the spawn to see how it's really done...I've never caught em good during that time, it's a Lil over rated to me

Katchin krappie...doin surgeries(filleting)...and givin hott grease baths until krunchy and golden brown is what it's all about!!!

"STAY ready for the THUMP"!!!!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide