Print Thread
Grubs as chatterbait/swimming jig trailer #12427899 09/15/17 09:12 PM
A
aalex.ander Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
I bought some chatterbaits (black and white w/ chartreuse) and some swimming jigs (black w/ blue and green pumpkin),the thing is that I forgot to buy trailers and I don't have that much money to spend on fishing stuff. I happen to have some 4 inch grubs with the right colors and i was wondering if they could work as a trailer:)

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Grubs as chatterbait/swimming jig trailer [Re: aalex.ander] #12427902 09/15/17 09:14 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Those will work just fine. Nothing wrong with using a grub as a chatterbait/swim jig trailer.

Last edited by bigbass94; 09/15/17 09:14 PM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Re: Grubs as chatterbait/swimming jig trailer [Re: bigbass94] #12427909 09/15/17 09:19 PM
A
aalex.ander Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
Any tips on how to fish em? I bought them because they looked really cool but i've never used swimming jigs or chatterbaits, i read that casting and reeling in as fast or as erratic as possible works pretty well

Re: Grubs as chatterbait/swimming jig trailer [Re: aalex.ander] #12427912 09/15/17 09:21 PM
T
TEXASJIGSTER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Twin Tail or Speed Craw

Re: Grubs as chatterbait/swimming jig trailer [Re: aalex.ander] #12427931 09/15/17 09:36 PM
TBassYates Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
aalex.ander - Not too many ways to fish either bait wrong. Only advice I can give you is that you probably want to keep the chatterbait moving but you will want to vary your speed of retrieval to see if they fish prefer fast or slow or somewhere in between. Cover as much water as possible and use it near any structure or out where fish are cruising or suspended. One of the things I like about a swim jig is you can do quite a bit more with it. You can throw it and reel it back like a spinnerbait or chatterbait, then you can slow it down or even stop it near any structure and hop it off bottom or slow roll it, fish it through grass etc. The fun thing about a swim jig is you can fish it at any depth and speed and you might get bit at anytime. There are some pretty good video's out that show different techniques with both baits that are good to watch.

[Linked Image]
Re: Grubs as chatterbait/swimming jig trailer [Re: aalex.ander] #12427941 09/15/17 09:42 PM
TBassYates Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Just a quick story after the reply I just gave you. One time my daughter in law went with me to my next door neighbors pond that is full of bass. She asked to use one of my rod and reels and it had a white chatterbait on it. She is not real experienced at fishing with a baitcaster so she would chunk the bait out and it would take her a while to reel in the slack and start reeling in the bait. I would tell her she needed to hurry just a little bit because the bait was going to the bottom and she was dragging it real slow and I could tell she was just pulling it along the bottom of the pond and I kept telling her she was going to get hung up and wouldn't catch any fish using it that way.
Long story short - over the next 30 minutes she caught 4 bass with that chatterbait dragging across the bottom one being a good 4 lber.
I shut my mouth and went back home to my Ranger game and left her there fishing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Grubs as chatterbait/swimming jig trailer [Re: TBassYates] #12427946 09/15/17 09:49 PM
A
aalex.ander Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
Originally Posted By: TBassYates
Just a quick story after the reply I just gave you. One time my daughter in law went with me to my next door neighbors pond that is full of bass. She asked to use one of my rod and reels and it had a white chatterbait on it. She is not real experienced at fishing with a baitcaster so she would chunk the bait out and it would take her a while to reel in the slack and start reeling in the bait. I would tell her she needed to hurry just a little bit because the bait was going to the bottom and she was dragging it real slow and I could tell she was just pulling it along the bottom of the pond and I kept telling her she was going to get hung up and wouldn't catch any fish using it that way.
Long story short - over the next 30 minutes she caught 4 bass with that chatterbait dragging across the bottom one being a good 4 lber.
I shut my mouth and went back home to my Ranger game and left her there fishing.

I'll see what i can catch then, if something is worth sharing i'll put a pic or something like that smile. Maybe i'll catch something bigger than 1 pound (which is the bigger fish that i've caught so far :s). Thanks for the tips!

Re: Grubs as chatterbait/swimming jig trailer [Re: aalex.ander] #12427951 09/15/17 09:55 PM
B
bo tbo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I usually get some nice ones a chatterbait. Just keep throwing and you'll catch better then a 1 pounder.

Re: Grubs as chatterbait/swimming jig trailer [Re: aalex.ander] #12428512 09/16/17 01:03 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
try this with the chatterbaits.

rig the grub with the twist in the tail up, it keeps it more in the skirt area and more natural looking.

like said vary the retrieve, I sometimes rip it then let it drop just a little and seem to get some great bites when that method works (bigger fish slamming it on the drop).

great bait in timber, slow retrieve and I try to barely bump the stump, certain times of the yr. this is excellent on fork.

one other way I fish chatterbait is let it hit bottom, slow raise of the rod for about 3-5' and drop again. do this slowly but make the blade work when you pick it up. black and blue with blue fleck worm tail trailer has worked good for me.

it is one of those baits that they either want or won't even look at but you can fish them from the surface to the bottom.

almost all of mine are 3/8oz as well, they seem to have better action.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Grubs as chatterbait/swimming jig trailer [Re: hopalong] #12428990 09/16/17 10:15 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: hopalong
try this with the chatterbaits.

rig the grub with the twist in the tail up, it keeps it more in the skirt area and more natural looking.

like said vary the retrieve, I sometimes rip it then let it drop just a little and seem to get some great bites when that method works (bigger fish slamming it on the drop).

great bait in timber, slow retrieve and I try to barely bump the stump, certain times of the yr. this is excellent on fork.

one other way I fish chatterbait is let it hit bottom, slow raise of the rod for about 3-5' and drop again. do this slowly but make the blade work when you pick it up. black and blue with blue fleck worm tail trailer has worked good for me.

it is one of those baits that they either want or won't even look at but you can fish them from the surface to the bottom.

almost all of mine are 3/8oz as well, they seem to have better action.

Good 411

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide