Print Thread
Garmin Echo and Striker display settings #12427638 09/15/17 05:15 PM
T
Thump19 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Can anyone suggest or guide me on display settings for Garmin fish finders. I have an Echomap sv and striker sv. I had a shop install the transducer for the echomap and the striker is up front on the bow. However I cannot seem to see any structure with the graphs. I usually just see a flat bottom and some line marks randomly in between I have gone over areas where I know structure is and even over bridge tee and the graph just appears to show a flat bottom with no structure. This is in down and side imagine. Anyone have any suggestions or settings I can change. I tried playing around on the water with the interference but that didn't seem to help. Thanks for any advice.

Re: Garmin Echo and Striker display settings [Re: Thump19] #12427730 09/15/17 06:29 PM
R
ring fry Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
I would go to set up and do 'factory settings'. For most of us this is plenty good enough, especially to start with. It should show structure, grass, fish, etc. Shop may have hit some random buttons during installation. Make sure it has the correct transducer recognized. It won't show much (if anything) if you aren't moving. If you could post some screen shots from the echoMAP, it might be more helpful.

SE Kansas grass grower

2008, 2022 NCAA Men's Basketball Champions
GO JAYHAWKS

Re: Garmin Echo and Striker display settings [Re: Thump19] #12428098 09/16/17 12:18 AM
C
Capt Craig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Thump, where are you located? Exactly what models do you have?

Last edited by Capt Craig; 09/16/17 12:35 AM.

Capt. Craig Copeland
Licensed by the US Coast Guard

2019 Nautic Star 215 XTS Shallow Bay Boat
Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
Nautic Star Boats Pro Staff (nauticstarboats.com)
Redneck Fish'n Jigs Pro Staff (redneckfishn.com)
Re: Garmin Echo and Striker display settings [Re: Thump19] #12428591 09/16/17 02:30 PM
T
Thump19 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Ring fry- To be honest I didn't even think to make sure the transducer was set right on the unit, I remember seeing the setting but for some reason it was non adjustable I will double check that and reset it back to factory while I am at it.
Capt Craig- I have the echo map 73sv non chirp discontinued model on the console and the striker 7sv chirp up front. Don't have the exact model #'s on me but can get them. I am located around the east dfw area in Forney

Re: Garmin Echo and Striker display settings [Re: Thump19] #12428949 09/16/17 09:04 PM
C
Capt Craig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Sadly, Garmin's manual is [censored]! Garmin gives only 4 pages of info in their manual explaining sonar and imaging.

For your console 73sv: Depending on your transducer, set to both 77/200 kHz. Set Max Depth to Auto.

For the Stryker 7sv: A lot depends on whether you are using a US2 transducer or the supplied Garmin transducer.

Garmins are difficult to set up and simply using the factory settings isn't enough. They require more active tuning on the water in both shallow and 30' deep water to find settings that read well in multiple settings.

Unfortunately unlike HB and Lowrance where I can provide good starting spots, Garmin must have all the settings gone through. Changing one effects others. If you have a friend that also has Garmin, get his help. If not, you will need a person on the boat that understands their system and settings. It takes about two hours +/- at several water depths to get the units tuned to provide accurate info. Garmin simply isn't user friendly.

If you have reached your point of frustration with trying on your own, contact me and we will talk.

Capt. Craig Copeland
Licensed by the US Coast Guard

2019 Nautic Star 215 XTS Shallow Bay Boat
Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
Nautic Star Boats Pro Staff (nauticstarboats.com)
Redneck Fish'n Jigs Pro Staff (redneckfishn.com)
Re: Garmin Echo and Striker display settings [Re: Thump19] #12430057 09/17/17 05:37 PM
T
Thump19 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Craig- Thank you for the input to be honest I was sold on garmin as I all my buddies have HB and I couldn't navigate as easily through them as I could the garmin at the store display, but like you said its all about having the settings right. For the striker I am using the supplied garmin transducer. I plan to get back out on the water in the next 2 weeks and will reset the units back to factory and make sure the transducers are matched to the right model. If I cant get it still I will make sure to take screen shots and reply back.

Re: Garmin Echo and Striker display settings [Re: Thump19] #12478075 10/25/17 12:44 PM
T
Thump19 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Wanted to provide an update. I have not had a chance to take Craig up on his offer but I did go out again and verify the transducer was leveled out and restored both the garmin 73sv non chirp on the console back to factor settings and the striker 7 chirp on the bow to the same.The image pictures where a little better this time out but still not great. I have attached 3 screen shots from the console and one of the striker on the bow, sorry for the grainy image the sun was out in full effect. They both appear to be picking up interference which makes viewing the screen for structure frustrating. I set interference and surface noise to low but that didn't seem to change the display. I keep thinking it might be the transducer placement but the striker which has the transducer on my trolling motor is mirroring the same issue. I forgot to mess around with the gain, would lowering that possible help reduce the noise that the graph is picking up? The one image from the striker is directly in between a bridge pylon over a tee. It appears to show the tee almost 3d version but you can still see the streaks of clutter that follow. Thanks for any suggesting

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide