Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ultrex #12420233 09/09/17 07:03 PM
S
Sandblaster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
I would like to know everyone's opinion on the Minn Kota Ultrex, I posted this in the crappie section because I crappie fish and want to know how the spot lock works when fishing submerged timber/brush piles. I use to have the Minn Kota power drive with the I-pilot and I didn't like the spot lock for crappie fishing, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Ultrex.

"It has been said that the Lord does not count the days spent fishing against your total allotment."
Re: Ultrex [Re: Sandblaster] #12420291 09/09/17 08:00 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
My nephew has the Ultrex for bass fishing. Says it's the best thing he's had on the bass boat since he got SI. Will hold his Ranger withing 2 ft of the lock. He fishes many hours on multiple lakes in tournaments and says he's won enough money with the spot lock to more than pay for it. He does a lot of drop shot fishing and staying on target is a must for drop shot fishing.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Ultrex [Re: Sandblaster] #12420318 09/09/17 08:30 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

I have the Minn Kota Ultrex on my boat and will go out on a limb and say it is the best trolling motor on the planet. I crappie fish and love the ability to have the foot pedal for fishing timber yet having the anchor feature to keep me on spot. I love the jog feature as it allows for me to move on a pile in 5' increments picking fish off the pile as I jog about. If it gets to windy I will hit the jog button 2 times and put the brush pile at the rear of the boat and fish from the back with the wind to my back and calmer conditions instead of bouncing off the bow. Also with the Ultrex I can utilize an external transducer and zip tie the transducer cable to the trolling motor shaft as the shaft is stationary like on your traditional cable steer trolling motors. Unlike the electric steer motors like the Terrova or MotorGuide motors where the shaft slides through a gear drive and you have to rig something or get the cable guard from precision sonar.com.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Ultrex [Re: Sandblaster] #12420333 09/09/17 08:46 PM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
It's gonna be the new TM on the next slab sled! Hopefully it lives up to the hype. I'm hard on stuff!! roflmao

Re: Ultrex [Re: Sandblaster] #12420419 09/09/17 10:04 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I started to purchase one till I read all the quality controls issues MinnKota is having with the Ultrex. I have no doubt they will get it worked out, I'm just not the guinea pig type. I'll wait.

Re: Ultrex [Re: Gamblinman] #12420438 09/09/17 10:32 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
I started to purchase one till I read all the quality controls issues MinnKota is having with the Ultrex. I have no doubt they will get it worked out, I'm just not the guinea pig type. I'll wait.

Can you share with us which of those issues you are referring to?

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Re: Ultrex [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #12420450 09/09/17 10:42 PM
F
fishinman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

I have the Minn Kota Ultrex on my boat and will go out on a limb and say it is the best trolling motor on the planet. I crappie fish and love the ability to have the foot pedal for fishing timber yet having the anchor feature to keep me on spot. I love the jog feature as it allows for me to move on a pile in 5' increments picking fish off the pile as I jog about. If it gets to windy I will hit the jog button 2 times and put the brush pile at the rear of the boat and fish from the back with the wind to my back and calmer conditions instead of bouncing off the bow. Also with the Ultrex I can utilize an external transducer and zip tie the transducer cable to the trolling motor shaft as the shaft is stationary like on your traditional cable steer trolling motors. Unlike the electric steer motors like the Terrova or MotorGuide motors where the shaft slides through a gear drive and you have to rig something or get the cable guard from precision sonar.com.

What he said.... Couldn't be happier!

Re: Ultrex [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #12420465 09/09/17 10:53 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

David, there have been some issues mentioned here on the TFF, and several more on Bass Boat Central.

Here's a link to some of the issues BBC members have had:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=831513&highlight=Ultrex

Re: Ultrex [Re: Sandblaster] #12420495 09/09/17 11:27 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Yup, frustration speaks loudly when things go wrong. It is our human nature. I purchased four flood lights at Lowes and only two out of the four worked mad

The issue (1) not (all) is that some models were built with a board produced from a specific vendor. Minn Kota is/was using a couple of vendors for the board in the foot pedal controls. The foot pedal would freeze not allowing for you to use the foot pedal feature. However you could still use the remote feature and continue to utilize all features the Ultrex offers so there is no down time. Early on Minn Kota was sending out replacement motor (upon availability). Now they are sending out a new board which the consumer can easily change out. Plug & Play...

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
Re: Ultrex [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #12420497 09/09/17 11:28 PM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S

Have they fixed all the foot pedals not working? I'm also concerned about durability. They don't have the springs like 4trex do they? I know a couple good licks the xi5 needs a new motor housing at $285 a pop. I see the Ultrex being exactly the same sadly.

Re: Ultrex [Re: Sandblaster] #12420533 09/09/17 11:40 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

I have beat my Ultrex up fishing timber and bridges. Keeps on ticking....True that the Ultrex does not have the "spring". Boy that was a noise maker. The shaft goes through the electric steer drive housing and has no spring.

I do not know if all foot pedal issues have been replace/repaired. I do not have that information.

The Ultrex shaft does not slide through the gear drive housing and then has to line up with a plastic gear drive lock to steer. That is the difference in durability between the two motors in that aspect you mention.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
Re: Ultrex [Re: fishinman] #12420539 09/09/17 11:43 PM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: fishinman

What he said.... Couldn't be happier!
Double ditto!

Bobby Barnett

Re: Ultrex [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #12420602 09/10/17 12:57 AM
...Larry Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
My Ultrex has had the pedal freeze problem several times, but starts working a few seconds later. I wonder if Minn Kota will send the new board to me or do I have to take it to a service center to be replaced? I would rather replace it myself than have to take the boat to a service center.

Re: Ultrex [Re: ...Larry] #12420618 09/10/17 01:12 AM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: ...Larry
My Ultrex has had the pedal freeze problem several times, but starts working a few seconds later. I wonder if Minn Kota will send the new board to me or do I have to take it to a service center to be replaced? I would rather replace it myself than have to take the boat to a service center.

Check with Sartin Marine...I believe they are the authorized service center for MinnKota In the area now.

Re: Ultrex [Re: Sandblaster] #12421091 09/10/17 04:21 PM
...Larry Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I checked with Sartin Marine. They are out of stock on the new foot pedal boards and have more on order. They have already replaced several boards. I heard that the new boards have only been available since the first of August and that new Ultrex motors manufactured in August will have the new board installed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide