Print Thread
Roadbikes #12416473 09/06/17 06:08 PM
B
BassFever Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
B
If you were to buy a bike today what would it be and why?

Opinion on BikeDirect.com?

I'm a big guy 280lbs. Is that too big for the skinny wheels?

Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12416478 09/06/17 06:13 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Bike shop owner here says first and foremost is buy a bike that you think looks cool to you....otherwise you won't ride it.

What is your budget? That is most important. Do you want an entry level bike? Used?

No, you can ride all day long. I like my 25mm tires...lot of bikes have 23mm tires. You might be interested in a gravel bike....gives you the option for dirt, blacktop, or backroads too. Skinny tires need smooth pavement. Chip seal is rough.

Personally if you have never ridden I would visit a bike shop, look around. Shop a few places since you are in DFW. Look at all the brands, weigh your options. They are sized in cm....I ride a 56cm, which is about right for someone 5'9"-5'11"....but that also can vary based on torso length. Then you will need to have the bike fit to you....most times if you buy a bike at a local shop they do that for free. Seat position (forward and back, up/down), handle bar position....if you set up wrong you will hurt yourself or be working harder than you should. So many angles to mess with.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12416499 09/06/17 06:29 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
B
I currently own an mtb and a straight bar skinny wheel hybrid bike. For road use the hybrid is pretty hard to get over 22mph. It can really slow traffic up. Was just checking options for an upgrade for street riding.

Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12416528 09/06/17 06:55 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Me personally, probably something used, 2013 or newer, excellent condition, carbon frame, with Sram Red or possibly Shimano Ultega components. Would have to sell my bike current bike first though, but they will finance a new one.....hammer

I was over 270 Jan 1, 2016, got below 260 by the end of Feb and started riding my mountain bike around then. By the end of March I got an old steel road bike that was my dads working and started riding that. Never looked back, I think I put 23mm tires on it. The other day a guy at one of the bike stores here said wider is becoming the new thing, like 25mm or bigger. So yes, they'll hold ya.

If you're already riding, enjoying it, and want to go faster, and go further, you know a road bike is what you want. You just have to look at your budget. You can find good deals on real nice bikes that are a few years old, I think alot of bike shops even sell some pre-owned bikes. IMO if a bike shop is selling a used bike, they stand behind it being a good bike, and if you want new, that's fine too, they'll help you out. I'd look for something with Shimano 105 or Sram Rival or better, components (brakes, derailleurs, crankset/cassette) Used probably start in the $600 range or less depending on age.

I've got a friend with a no name Chinese carbon road bike with 105 components on it, just as nice as every other Trek, Specialized, etc. So as far as bikesdirect goes, as long as everything is set-up right, it'll probably be just fine. I saw lots and lots of folks on Motobecane, Fuji, and Kestrel bikes in the hotter'n hell and those are all bikesdirect bikes.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12416739 09/06/17 09:06 PM
T
Trickster Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
T
Performance bikes has some nice sales going on now.

Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12416763 09/06/17 09:20 PM
RO519 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Dream bike, but its $5K, so that won't be happening any time soon. Find something you like, and something that fits properly. I bought a cheap entry level bike, and I wish I hadn't...

Fightin' Texas Aggie '14

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12416777 09/06/17 09:28 PM
T
Trickster Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
T
I am riding a Hybrid. My son has a Specialized road bike that I can ride but I want to get more rides with a group using the Hybrid before I try the road bike.

Re: Roadbikes [Re: RO519] #12416793 09/06/17 09:42 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: RO519

Dream bike, but its $5K, so that won't be happening any time soon. Find something you like, and something that fits properly. I bought a cheap entry level bike, and I wish I hadn't...

I know the feeling.... This is bike or atleast a similar frame design to what I want. That electronic shifting is sweet. One of my racer buddies has one of these, setup near idential to this one. Freaking ridiculous.

Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12417197 09/07/17 02:37 AM
B
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
B

this one is $999.95

Last edited by BassFever; 09/07/17 02:40 AM.
Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12417461 09/07/17 12:02 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
If you never rode one and you live in DFW, look for a used one. You can save some good money that way. Lot of people own a house bike....that means it sits in the house and doesn't get used. I got mine for $600, bike new was $1600. It had 75 miles on it and one Sprint Triathlon. Girl hurt her neck, broke up with BF, laid off work, and needed money. Needless to say I didn't talk her down any, she needed that $600 more than I did at that time. She had kids to feed. Mine came one block from a Shrimp dock in South Louisiana. LOL!

There are a couple FB groups in DFW for buying and selling. BUT I would also call around the bike shops and see what used they have....sometimes they post them online. Tell them your size and heigth and let them help...used bikes do cost a bit more, but you know they are taken care of or repaired. I had my biking trainer buddy go pick mine up, he gave it the once over.

Mine is a Cannondale CAAD10, 2015 year. I like the Cannondale....the welding is what sets them apart. It almost looks carbon. Trek is a good bike....entry level is around $700. You can get a entry level Giant for $600.

I wouldn't get a carbon just yet....that is when the price jumps. AND if you are like me...you will fall a time or 2...Carbon doesn't like concrete....one crack and you are back at the shop buying a new frame!! $$$$

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12417463 09/07/17 12:03 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
You will be flying on a road bike after riding that hybrid!! Skinny tires feel funny at first, but you get used to it. Confidence comes!

Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12417634 09/07/17 02:16 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: BassFever

this one is $999.95

That's a sweet frame, I like the design, especially having all the cables internally routed, looks fast. Only thing I would worry about is having 3 rings on the front, that's alot of moving parts, that you really don't need unless you're going to climb hills all day. And the Tiagra line of components mixed in on it, they're below the 105 line, other than that, I don't know anything about them, maybe someone will chime it.

IMO, everyone has one.... If you could find that frame with everything this one has, wheels/drive train, and it's the same price, I think you'd hit the jackpot. It's a 22 speed which is the new big deal on road bikes, most bikes only have 10 cogs on the rear cassette, adding one, kind of takes the place of needing a 3rd ring up front. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/road_bikes/lechampion-cf-comp-xiv.htm

Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12417693 09/07/17 02:57 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
B
Gears are such a pain. Never road a bike that didn't end-up with problems. Maybe because I'm such a lardazz.

Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12417716 09/07/17 03:23 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I think it's just part of owning a bike. I've got somewhat high end stuff on my road bike and it's in the shop right now, and one of the things they're to look at is why my chain keeps jumping, something not being adjusted right.

I just know, with every bike I've had or seen that has three chain rings on the front, unless they're really high end like the Ultegra line, has problems keeping it working like it should. With it being so flat here in WF, I almost ALWAYS keep my chain on the big ring up front just because I cringe at the off chance it's going to drop off, shifting down or back up. And I like to go fast. Seems as long as it's not a long uphill, you can usually speed up to it, and just before you start the climb, shift the rear into the high gear and climb though it by the time your speed slows. And really for the most part, I just find a "comfy" gear and just cruise away. If I need to slow down I coast, or stand up, and if I need to speed up, I pedal faster, going down a hill I may drop the rear down to the littlest gear and get it, but if you're riding with friends unless everyone does, there's no need to.

I'm not 100% sure, but think the 11 speed cassettes add a higher cog so it's even easier to climb.

Re: Roadbikes [Re: BassFever] #12417745 09/07/17 03:47 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: BassFever
Gears are such a pain. Never road a bike that didn't end-up with problems. Maybe because I'm such a lardazz.

Don't bump anything on there with any part of you or anything else. LOL. Treat the gears like glass. Don't lay it on the side, ect.

I have 105 and it never has a problem. When I first got it, I did find out don't back pedal in the smallest gears....the angle of the chain jumps it off. Other than that....it's go time. I did wash mine a few months ago and had to make some minor adjustments to get it back in line. Any bike from a Academy, WM, ect will have issues. Most have issues before the bike leaves the store.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide