Print Thread
Cold Weather Clothing #12403611 08/27/17 08:01 PM
C
Crankalot Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
With winter approaching, what do y'all wear in the kayak? I was thinking rain jacket/pants and layers underneath. What about shoes?

Last edited by Crankalot; 08/28/17 12:52 AM.
Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: Crankalot] #12403624 08/27/17 08:10 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
I have some Hodgman breathable wading pants with neoprene feet I like. Appropriate layers underneath. Gore-Tex jacket on top, with appropriate layers.

Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: Crankalot] #12403982 08/28/17 01:16 AM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Waders over layers. Belt on the waders.

Make sure you also take a dry bag with a towel, fire starting materials, and dry warm clothes when winter gets here. Sooner or later you'll need 'em.

Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: Crankalot] #12404075 08/28/17 02:07 AM
C
Crankalot Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
My concern with waders is falling over and drowning. Does the belt help prevent water from coming in our am I being paranoid?

Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: Crankalot] #12404146 08/28/17 03:03 AM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
My wading pants are waist-high and have a belt. I have no concerns. Always wear your PFD, too.

Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: Crankalot] #12404867 08/28/17 07:01 PM
R
RealBigReel Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Crankalot
My concern with waders is falling over and drowning. Does the belt help prevent water from coming in our am I being paranoid?

Depends on how tight the belt is. And water will get in the top if you are in chest waders regardless. Neoprene waders will float you like a cork but should not be worn if temperatures are going to get warm. Breathables can be worn clear up to the 70s although you will want to splash yourself when it is warmer to keep cool. But even breathables full of water won't pull you down if you are wearing a PFD. Might make it difficult to get back in the boat however, like pretty near impossible. (I swam to shore.) But now rubber waders could be a disaster.

Last edited by RealBigReel; 08/29/17 01:07 PM.

RealBigReel
I don't go too fast but I go pretty far.
Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: RealBigReel] #12404874 08/28/17 07:07 PM
C
Crankalot Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: RealBigReel
Originally Posted By: Crankalot

Depends on how tight the belt is. And water will get in the top if you are in chest waders regardless. Neoprene waders will float you like a cork but should not be worn if temperatures are going to get warm. Breathables can worn clear up to the 70s although you will want to splash yourself when it is warmer to keep cool. But even full breathables won't pull you down if you are wearing a PFD. Might make it difficult to get back in the boat however, like pretty near impossible. (I swam to shore.) But now rubber waders could be a disaster.

Good to know; much obliged, sir.

Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: Crankalot] #12405012 08/28/17 08:47 PM
D
DblNoob Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I wear NRS neoprene wetshoes and if it is really cold neoprene wetsocks. They come in various thicknesses and heights so you should be able to find something to fit your needs. The wetshoes are warm enough that I only have to wear the wet socks if it is really cold.

Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: Crankalot] #12407778 08/31/17 02:33 AM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
First and foremost try to avoid any wearing cotton if at all possible. It's a poor insulator, holds moisture against your body, and takes a long time to dry; all bad things in the winter. Wool is excellent at insulating (even when wet) and wicking moisture away from your body. It is a bit expensive, but luckily polyester based synthetic fibers (think fleece) can replicate the properties of wool at a much more affordable price.

I start with knee high silk weight liner socks along with silk weight boxer briefs and under shirt. Then it's a baselayer pant and long sleeve shirt followed by knee high wool socks. The next layer consists of a fleece 1/4 zip sweatshirt and fleece wader pants. Then I'll add one more layer of pants which are kind of like your standard fishing pants but made with slightly thicker material. Everything I wear is designed to pull moisture away from my body. You'll also notice that I wear multiple layers which allows me to remove layers as the outside temperature or my body's temperature rises through the day. While on the water I wear breathable, stockingfoot waders, wading boots, and a lightweight, breathable, windproof rain jacket. This may sound cumbersome and bulky, but I don't feel restricted at all. A fleece beanie, glomitts (fingerless gloves that have the mitten cover flap), and a buff finish off my winter garb.

That's how I dress, and it's done very well for me these past few seasons.

An important thing to remember is when washing wool, fleece or similar clothing don't throw them in the dryer with a dryer sheet like Bounce. Dryer sheets put a film on the fibers and prevent them from wicking moisture. I actually air dry all my winter and summer fishing clothing because of that.

Wearing a PFD is probably more important during the winter than summer. You're going to be wearing more clothing which makes it more difficult to swim and you also don't know how your body is going to react with the shock of entering cold water. You could easily become disorientated or the shock of the cold water could cause you to instantly inhale while under water.

Waders are OK to wear during the winter. If properly worn with a belt they are hard to fill up. If they do fill up with water they don't weigh you down like most people think, however they could make it more difficult to swim or get back into your kayak so you may have to ditch the waders to increase your mobility.

It's also handy to have a second change of clothes in a dry bag in case you go into the water you can immediately change into new clothing.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: Crankalot] #12407971 08/31/17 07:33 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Sunny days above 50 or 55 degrees, shorts and some sort of synthetic shirt and a fleece jacket or pullover. Some water sandal for launching that gets removed once I'm underway.

Below 50 or cloudy threat of rain cool days, synthetic closer fitting work out type gear and maybe breathable waders and a breathable water shedding jacket.

If the day is below 40 degrees and expected to stay there or not get much above 40, I'm probably looking for something else to do. Those cold days are the exception where I live so it's not like I'm missing a bunch of opportunities.

Main thing is to avoid cotton. For some reason, paddle drip doesn't bother me if I wear shorts. Fabrics tend to soak it up or trap water against the skin, but water rolls off bare skin. Sunlight warms skin. Threat of sunburn is greatly reduced in winter angled sun. If I get a little chilled, I paddle around vigorously for a while, instant heat. I tend to move around a lot scouting for fish and that generates heat. Fly casting generates body warmth.

If I'm not sure I'll be warm enough, I'll stick an extra layer or breathable waders in the space behind the seat. Wearing neoprene waders is like getting cooked in your own juices. Traps sweat. For me, wearing neoprene means guaranteed discomfort unless I'm scuba diving. I saw a kayak guide not long ago in the summer heat wearing neoprene waders. I couldn't believe my own eyes. I'd be dead in thirty minutes.

Clothes and shoes that fit right are key. Anything that impedes blood circulation, especially to the feet, is a recipe for being uncomfortable. Layers are important. Days that start off chilly can become warm. You will want to be able to adjust your clothing to match. I have thin fleece and thicker fleece. Some days are thin fleece and some are thicker. That's about all the bulk I want while fishing. A warm fleece hat to cover the ears can be nice on those cold mornings.

I don't like gloves much while fishing so I just deal with a little finger numbness on cold days.

You have to dress to match your system, your particular nature, and how you fish. Lots of Kayakers I see paddle a short distance, drop anchor, and soak some bait for long periods. If that's how you fish, you might want more layers as sitting in place doesn't burn any calories or generate muscle heat. Some people are intolerant of cold. If that's you, bring more layers.

I love fishing in Texas winters, we have tons of cool comfortable days November through March. July and August heat cause more problems for me than our typical winter weather.

Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: Crankalot] #12408145 08/31/17 01:50 PM
C
Crankalot Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Everybody, thank you for your very valuable, insightful input!

Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: Crankalot] #12409059 08/31/17 11:59 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
I like the NRS Sidewinder Bibs. They're waders with a waterproof relief zipper. They also make dry tops that will integrate into the bibs to make a full semi-dry solution. I usually just wear their High Tide rain jacket over it, though.

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: Crankalot] #12409645 09/01/17 12:10 PM
D
DblNoob Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Water temps below 70 degrees is dangerous and water temps below 60 can be deadly. I had a friend die of hypothermia after his boat submerged in cold water. I wear a neoprene wet suit or a farmer john (depending on ambient temp), neoprene wet shoes and socks (depending on temp) and nylon layering over them. Layering is key, since it allows you to adjust to air temp.

Cold Water Danger

Re: Come Weather Clothing [Re: Crankalot] #12410082 09/01/17 05:51 PM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Chest waders with layers is a good option - if you wear your PFD. I wouldn't wear the waders without one. I've also tried Gore-Tex pants with some type of warm and dry footwear, such as some neoprene boots. Keeping your feet and legs dry is key. The layers on the upper body just depend on how cold it is and whether theres a chance of rain. A waterproof jacket almost always goes with me but I may not wear it all the time. Usually wool and fleece long sleeve layers and a wool stocking cap. I have some fingerless wool gloves that are my favorite. One or two buffs around my neck as a neck gaiter. I never wear any cotton clothing at all.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide