texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,738
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport #12399128 08/24/17 02:32 PM
T Bird Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Besides a little social media and print publicity, what is B.A.S.S. and the fishing industry contributing to growing the sport. It seems to me, that 95% is done by grass roots volunteers in donating their time, equipment and money. That said, I believe it's time for those who profit most from growth the sport to step up their financial involvement.

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: T Bird] #12399150 08/24/17 02:51 PM
T
Thor Outdoors Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I could not agree more, being said that I did something about it to help get people involved in outdoor activities such as fishing and hunting. www.logicalrednecks.com I'm a 17 year old and my best friend and I started this company to help other people find their passion in the outdoors like we did.We got tired of seeing people in our generation sitting around indoors wasting time. 10% of our income goes directly back into high school fishing. This company we started has big things coming to it very soon, and our goal is to help others find their passion in the outdoors.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: T Bird] #12399153 08/24/17 02:54 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
That would be nice to see. We may see small incentives thrown out there as time goes on; but don't expect much. In my opinion there are several reasons:
- They see the sport growing by leaps and bounds without their involvement.
- They look at it as they do the adult divisions; work your way up the ladder.
- As long as underlying organizations are helping those students get into the sport they are happy.
- They take a wait and see attitude. Family and friends of this youth sport want the best for our young fisherman and will do whatever it takes to make sure they have a good experience.

All businesses are about time, money and people. We have to start at the bottom and work toward the top in asking for help. This is the way it has always been and is not going to change any time soon. This is an industry that is all about acquiring sponsors and only the best will get the best.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: T Bird] #12399197 08/24/17 03:19 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Curious what BASS and the fishing industry should be doing? Prolly more than many know.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: T Bird] #12399218 08/24/17 03:31 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
- Every major circuit (TBF, FLW, BASS) has high school and college divisions now putting tournaments on all over the country and each circuit has a suite of companies that offer discounts or contingency programs just for putting a logo on your shirt.

- Each of those circuits have volunteers and paid employees overseeing logistics, contracts with venues and vendors, moving and setting up equipment all over the place, filming for nationally-televised shows in many cases specifically for high school and college anglers.

- College national champions are getting births into the Classic and the Cup each year.

- Many of the successful college anglers are now moving into the professional circuits and doing well, or earning employment in the industry. I'm 29 and two guys I fished with in college are now major representatives with Shimano and Costa partly due to their college fishing careers. My college fishing experience helped me get my current job (which includes coaching a college fishing team).

Honestly, I think the big circuits are doing a pretty good job at promoting and nurturing youth fishing, considering that their bread and butter are the professional anglers way up at the top. Attend a TBF high school national championship or world finals and I think you'll be impressed with how much they do and teach their anglers along the way.

And frankly, do we really want to keep growing the sport just for the sake of growing? I know that sounds outrageous because we're all programmed to believe that nothing is good unless it's endlessly expanding. I question that idea because I run a college circuit, and it is literally becoming IMPOSSIBLE to schedule 4 tournaments, even in the fall, without double-booking a ramp, much less being on the same lake as another tournament. Natural resources aren't like the US economy; we can't just print up more water to fish (sarcasm).

So, while I do agree that companies who make a great deal of money from anglers should return the favor to ensure the sport continues into the next generation, I also think we need to be careful about how far we want it to grow in the future on top of a finite resource.

Scott Jones
Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: Outdoordude] #12399228 08/24/17 03:48 PM
T Bird Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
- Every major circuit (TBF, FLW, BASS) has high school and college divisions now putting tournaments on all over the country and each circuit has a suite of companies that offer discounts or contingency programs just for putting a logo on your shirt.

- Each of those circuits have volunteers and paid employees overseeing logistics, contracts with venues and vendors, moving and setting up equipment all over the place, filming for nationally-televised shows in many cases specifically for high school and college anglers.

- College national champions are getting births into the Classic and the Cup each year.

- Many of the successful college anglers are now moving into the professional circuits and doing well, or earning employment in the industry. I'm 29 and two guys I fished with in college are now major representatives with Shimano and Costa partly due to their college fishing careers. My college fishing experience helped me get my current job (which includes coaching a college fishing team).

Honestly, I think the big circuits are doing a pretty good job at promoting and nurturing youth fishing, considering that their bread and butter are the professional anglers way up at the top. Attend a TBF high school national championship or world finals and I think you'll be impressed with how much they do and teach their anglers along the way.

And frankly, do we really want to keep growing the sport just for the sake of growing? I know that sounds outrageous because we're all programmed to believe that nothing is good unless it's endlessly expanding. I question that idea because I run a college circuit, and it is literally becoming IMPOSSIBLE to schedule 4 tournaments, even in the fall, without double-booking a ramp, much less being on the same lake as another tournament. Natural resources aren't like the US economy; we can't just print up more water to fish (sarcasm).

So, while I do agree that companies who make a great deal of money from anglers should return the favor to ensure the sport continues into the next generation, I also think we need to be careful about how far we want it to grow in the future on top of a finite resource.

I'm not seeing any significant contributions here.

[Linked Image]

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: T Bird] #12399241 08/24/17 03:58 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
So what is we are expecting to see that would change your mind? I also believe there is a misconception about how much money many of these companies are making, and how big they actually are.

The growth of the sport and the love of fishing has, and always will begin with the home, no matter how much money is spent.

Last edited by BMCD; 08/24/17 04:00 PM.
Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: T Bird] #12399258 08/24/17 04:09 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I think that B.A.S.S specifically does a good job of nuruting the kids into the sport. I thought the High School National Championship was well done this year and that is a B.A.S.S. organization. I am not a sure of the all the steps on the ladder but I believe SETX is the Texas Division of BASS for high schoolers. Texas is just so large that we have a bunch high school trails that may be considered "grassroots", but I dont think that is the case in the majority of states.

And I have to agree with Outdoor Dude, I would like to see a lot less of you guys out on my waters stealing my fish, I wouldnt mind be the only one on the water roflmao

Now if I was trying to make a living selling fishing tackle then I would probably feel differently.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: T Bird] #12399295 08/24/17 04:35 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Youth fishing and hunting is definitely growing relative to when I was young.

More money needs to be spent on wildlife management (stocking and habitat improvement)

I fear there will be no shortage of future anglers, but a deficit of bass to fish for and healthy vegetation to fish in.

[Linked Image]
Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: T Bird] #12399316 08/24/17 04:47 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: T Bird

Then you and I have very different definitions of "significant."

If what these organizations are currently doing is so unimpressive, what exactly would they have to do to satisfy you in this regard?

BMCD has made some very good points that I agree with; we're not dealing with Google, Amazon or Wal-Mart-type companies here.

Scott Jones
Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: T Bird] #12399331 08/24/17 04:57 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
https://www.bassmaster.com/high-school-bass-fishing

Looks like they give it a pretty fair amount of coverage and host events etc. It gets the same play as the Opens, College fishing etc. Not sure what else people can expect. Sure seems to be supported to me. I am sure FLW does as much also.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: Outdoordude] #12399383 08/24/17 05:35 PM
T Bird Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru

If what these organizations are currently doing is so unimpressive, what exactly would they have to do to satisfy you in this regard?

BMCD has made some very good points that I agree with; we're not dealing with Google, Amazon or Wal-Mart-type companies here.

Show me the $$$$$$$$$$ contributions. You won't find it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: T Bird] #12399387 08/24/17 05:37 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
You think that setting up venues, hosting these tournaments, providing coverage on B.A.S.S., print, etc is free? BASS runs a business. Where is the return on THEIR investment?

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: T Bird] #12399400 08/24/17 05:45 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak

Show me the $$$$$$$$$$ contributions. You won't find it.

Yeah you will if you look hard enough.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport [Re: fouzman] #12399426 08/24/17 06:04 PM
T Bird Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: fouzman
You think that setting up venues, hosting these tournaments, providing coverage on B.A.S.S., print, etc is free? BASS runs a business. Where is the return on THEIR investment?

Gee, that's a tough one. How bout > profits from increased membership through.......

Table 1. Membership Fees

B.A.S.S. As determined by B.A.S.S.

B.A.S.S. Nation $30.00

Texas B.A.S.S. Nation
Chapter (Club) Member $25.00

Texas B.A.S.S. Nation
Non-Chapter (At Large) Member $85.00

B.A.S.S. Chapter (Club) Determined by Club

Add > $$$$ gained through increased participation/entries in B.A.S.S. sanctioned Tournaments.

That's just a few of the tangibles. Then you could throw in increased advertising revenue & Tourn. sponsorship revenue.

Last edited by T Bird; 08/24/17 06:09 PM.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide